Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3043664

Subject: "Earl Sweatshirt Voir Dire discussion" Previous topic | Next topic
stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1820 posts
Mon Aug-28-23 08:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Earl Sweatshirt Voir Dire discussion"

New Earl Sweatshirt!

Anybody listen yet? I think this is his best since Doris (ie. even better than 'I Don't like Shit I Don't Go Outside'). I hadn't been a fan of his most recent projects as I thought they we too sparse and to a certain extent felt unfinished. This one feels fully baked to me. Alchemist has been killing it lately, not necessarily the best beats I've ever heard but he has a knack for providing artists with the RIGHT beats. Voir Dire is just a very well crafted coherent project and I feels good to be listening to an Earl project that I like again.

How the album was released however...leaves a bit to be desired.

Check it out here: https://music.gala.com/voirdire

You can listen for free there, but is it just me, or are they selling each track for $225? I'm not a huge fan of streaming and prefer to use my plex. I have not problem spending $10-20 on an album, but if my only option is to pay a crazy amount and to be forced to participate in the stupid NFT market that's a no from me dog.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: MIKE
Aug 29th 2023
that's his thing
Aug 29th 2023
RE: MIKE
Sep 01st 2023
Yeah it's really good
Aug 29th 2023
I'm gonna guess people aren't fond of Earl
Aug 30th 2023
I'm guessing it's a combination of 2 things
Aug 30th 2023
Two listens in...
Aug 30th 2023
Roll out is weird, but project is good
Aug 30th 2023
Nice after work listening. The beats are lovely. Earl is Earl.
Sep 01st 2023

rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Tue Aug-29-23 02:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: MIKE"
In response to Reply # 0

what's with the off-beat flow?

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4553 posts
Tue Aug-29-23 07:50 AM

2. "that's his thing"
In response to Reply # 1

earl seems to have picked it up from him
i much prefer early earl when he rapped with urgency
but he has become more accessible with each release since some rap songs

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3056 posts
Fri Sep-01-23 03:07 AM

8. "RE: MIKE"
In response to Reply # 1

Weird question. I would guess his flow is exactly how he wants it to be. Anyway, he switches it up with more o less off-beat flows. Lol. I liked his latest album alot.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16418 posts
Tue Aug-29-23 09:20 AM

3. "Yeah it's really good"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not really a big fan of his as most I've heard is super laid back beats and bored rapping which is not fun to listen to. This has some good beats and I could get with the rapping. Those MP3s will get more plays from me.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1820 posts
Wed Aug-30-23 09:57 AM

4. "I'm gonna guess people aren't fond of Earl"
In response to Reply # 0

Because there isn't much traction here. Setting aside the general slowness of this message board, I'm of two minds. On one hand: why? Earl is dope. But on the other I applaud the fact that if people are not fans of an artist they don't feel a strong urge to dogpile with a bunch of negativity.

I applaud the restraint of these individuals.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13196 posts
Wed Aug-30-23 11:36 AM

6. "I'm guessing it's a combination of 2 things"
In response to Reply # 4

1) A lot of people aren't into Earl's style of rap since IDLSIDGO. This stream of conscious, semi-off beat over unconventional beats that a lot of times lack drums. It's tough to get into and isn't made for listening when/where most people listen to music. Do you listen to Earl when you're driving? When you're cooking/cleaning? What is the vibe to listen to Earl Sweatshirt?

2) Weird release. It's available to stream on a website whereas most people aren't looking for music outside of their Spotify/iTunes or even downloading files locally.

Regarding 1, I've actually come around to Earl after being turned off by is style switch, not that I was super into him to begin with. I was interested after the initial EARL mixtape but didn't much like Doris. I ended up really fucking with Some Rap Songs after finally checking it out and went back and gained a new appreciation for IDLSIDGO. SICK! was okay, but I haven't checked for this one yet due to 2).

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Wed Aug-30-23 11:31 AM

5. "Two listens in... "
In response to Reply # 0

... And it just wasn't grabbing me. I think my expectations were to high and the release didn't meet it so I'm like ehhh.

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19954 posts
Wed Aug-30-23 03:35 PM

7. "Roll out is weird, but project is good"
In response to Reply # 0

As pointed out, it is free at https://music.gala.com/voirdire so some of the complaints about the cost are misleading. It is annoying going to a separate site, but you don't have to pay anything. Stream away, I've had no issues after 3-4 listens.

Alchemist is in his usual pocket, which works for me EVERYTIME. No complaints, he can do no wrong for my ears. Earl I've never placed as high as I think some did/do. He's a good rapper, I don't mind the lazy flow, my enjoyment of his barz really is tied to whether I like the beats or not.

I believe they're supposed to expand to the usual streamers in a few weeks, but off a few listens I like their pairing.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14075 posts
Fri Sep-01-23 06:48 PM

9. "Nice after work listening. The beats are lovely. Earl is Earl."
In response to Reply # 0

Earl gives us thoughtful bars in just about the laziest way possible, but it works with how laid back these beats are. I fuck with this. You really have to listen when you're relaxing. It isn't the kind of rap album that demands attention or is made for the purpose of getting your head to nod. This is more like rap to help you unwind. The whole feel is that of an old soul record full of ballads.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Lobby The Lesson topic #3043664 Previous topic | Next topic