Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3043177

Subject: "Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps" Previous topic | Next topic
doitall76
Member since Dec 01st 2002
476 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 07:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"

I see reviews from Pitchfork as 8.9, HipHopDX as 4.6 (out of 5). Can someone explain to me the appeal of this album? I hate to say I just don't get it and I have listened to this album three times in full.

Stylistically, this doesn't pull me in, but lyric wise, I have a hard time getting into it as as well.
On his first song Kenwood Speakers, “Wire tap sound like Buju Banton”. How the hell do wiretaps sound like Buju Banton? Do you hear “Jaaaaaahhhhh”?
Soundcheck - don't miss soundtrack, you definitely need to be at sound check.
Rapper Weed – “Delivery fee was oof”. How much is that?!?!?!
Blue Smoke – “Been on this N word for months”. What the f#$k does that even mean?

Peace,
Doitall76

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps
Jun 23rd 2023
Jun 23rd 2023
close your eyes and pretend he's white
Jun 24th 2023
      Sounds like someone is off their meds again…
Jun 25th 2023
He jumps from subject to subject, but his lyrics are incredible
Jun 23rd 2023
Jun 24th 2023
RE: billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps
Jun 24th 2023
leave it to OkayPlayer
Jun 24th 2023
RE: leave it to OkayPlayer
Jun 25th 2023
Jun 25th 2023
Jun 25th 2023
Jun 25th 2023
Jun 25th 2023
Jun 25th 2023

doitall76
476 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 07:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 0

It is like this Ghostface segment from Drink Champs where he admits that he went with a style of putting words together that sounded good, but really didn't mean sh&t.

15 seconds in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF5dCrejkvY&t=386s

Peace
Doitall76

spidey
Charter member
13126 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 12:15 PM

2. "RE: Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 0

Agreed, not feeling it...and I'm that cat who stays rooting for the below ground, but most of these guys releases miss me...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4886 posts
Sat Jun-24-23 11:04 PM

6. "close your eyes and pretend he's white"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Jun-24-23 11:05 PM by Stadiq

you'll LOVE it.

I'm not joking. Just tell yourself he's white. You'll be posting Billy Woods TOTDs within weeks.

"stays rooting for the ground below" L O L

That is objectively untrue, and the corniest shit I've seen/heard in a minute.

spidey
Charter member
13126 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 12:21 PM

10. "Sounds like someone is off their meds again…"
In response to Reply # 6

It’s ok, like your therapist should have told you, it’s ok for people to like different things, even music…

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 01:38 PM

3. "He jumps from subject to subject, but his lyrics are incredible"
In response to Reply # 0

Maps has this line that blew my mind, for instance:

Sooner or later it's gon' be two unrelated active shooters
Same place, same time
Great minds, Tesla and Edison

I'm honestly amazed by how prolific he is without ever phoning it in. I used to really not care for him, but he has totally won me over. I'm not great at listening to lyrics, but Billy Woods has always been worth the effort to me.

Love the album, too. Kenny Segal has really leveled up as a producer in the last couple of years.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3055 posts
Sat Jun-24-23 05:03 AM

4. "RE: Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 0

Personally, I love this album. Have you liked any of his other releases? The Armand Hammer stuff?

You could check out Prof Skye's review of it. One of the best YT review channels out there IMO. He always goes deep.
https://youtu.be/ccl5QcxHpoI

And/or the interview he did with them.
https://youtu.be/wxPbsepa5QM

Stevie Lee
Member since Aug 17th 2008
1189 posts
Sat Jun-24-23 02:48 PM

5. "RE: billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 0

>Soundcheck - don't miss soundtrack, you definitely need to be
>at sound check.
probably, but i was at a show where woods popped up with nothing but a laptop and he killed it.

>Rapper Weed – “Delivery fee was oof”. How much is
>that?!?!?!
...how is this line confusing? have you never heard anyone say oof?? there isn't anything hidden here

>Blue Smoke – “Been on this N word for months”. What the
>f#$k does that even mean?
did you listen to the lines before that, or nah? this line calls back to your q about the line on kenwood speakers too.

he's just a miss for some people for one reason or another, but i feel like the run woods has been on for (at least) the last 11 years is unparalleled and worth tapping into. you might find something you connect with if you dig back. did you like either of his albums from last year (Church and Aethiopes)? Known Unknowns from 2017 might be a good starting point if you're fully new to billy woods. no guarantees

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4886 posts
Sat Jun-24-23 11:06 PM

7. "leave it to OkayPlayer "
In response to Reply # 5

to hate on one of the best hip hop acts of the last 10 years easy.

Album is amazing, and probably one of his easiest to follow yet...dudes just want the same 90s album over and over and over and over.

doitall76
476 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 05:14 AM

8. "RE: leave it to OkayPlayer "
In response to Reply # 7

You can miss me with that. "Wanting the same '90s album over and over." There is plenty of new artists that I listen to regularly.

This one just didn't connect with me.

Peace
Doitall76

doitall76
476 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 05:17 AM

9. "RE: billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun Jun-25-23 05:19 AM by doitall76

>Rapper Weed – “Delivery fee was oof”. How much is
>that?!?!?!
...how is this line confusing? have you never heard anyone say oof?? there isn't anything hidden here

As long as others recognize the slang, I'm good with that. Words I haven't caught on to yet. I did ask my son, and he had no clue what that meant either. I guess I'm old.

I still don't get the Buju Banton line.

Peace
Doitall76

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 05:49 PM

11. "RE: billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 9

If you don't know anything about Buju, why not just google?

https://www.worldareggae.com/reggaenews/buju-banton-gets-10-years/

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

doitall76
476 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 10:25 PM

13. "RE: billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 11

My man, it is not that I am not up on Buju. Been on Buju from Voice of Jamaica and Inna Heights is my joint. It isn't an unfamiliarity with the artist, I just don't get the reference that wire taps sound like Buju. Just simply providing links and references to the artist doesn't help me.

I would welcome the clarity that you can provide, because I would love to get that line. Clearly Billy is on some next level with that line, and I want to make sure that I don't miss it.

Thanks in advance for explaining this line to me.

There is no doubt that I must be in the minority when it comes to Billy. No disrespect to him, but clearly he isn't my cup of tea. It is obvious that he resonates with a number of folks here and has a dedicated fan base. Props to him on that.

Peace
Doitall76

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 11:03 PM

14. "RE: billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun Jun-25-23 11:06 PM by COOLEHMAGAZINE

Okay, so that being so I imagine you know Buju went to the Feds behind a drug-trafficking case he caught in Miami? And the governments evidence revolved around wiretap and video recordings of Buju talking to a DEA informant. Large parts of the recordings were made public around the time of the trial.

Truth be told, the case was perilously close to entrapment, and I thought Buju should have gotten off but that's irrelevant here.

The link I posted previously had all this information, I wasn't trying to be a dick, I was genuinely trying to share the information. I figured any Buju fan knew he got caught up. Clearly, I was wrong. I still think that googling Buju Banton and wiretap, would have given you the answer pretty quickly.

Anyway, hope that was helpful.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 06:00 PM

12. "RE: Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Maps"
In response to Reply # 0

No diss, but if this is the level on which you listen to rap lyrics, you are probably not going to be a fan of homie.

Most of the things you are citing are not complicated lyrics at all.

Soundcheck- you couldn't take anything away from the song, except that you think artists should show up to Soundcheck?

Rapper Weed- Not that this should be necessary but the VERY NEXT LINE is "My guy, them shits through the roof"

So…expensive?

Blue Smoke- Here are the lyrics:

So much tape hiss, FBI agents narrowed they eyes
Frustrated, asking to be reassigned
"Been on this n-word for months, I think it's all just rhymes."
I'm still peaking, and if it's just us speaking, these n-words is on the decline

What is the confusing part for you in this set of bars? To me, it is pretty straightforward

Frustrated FBI agents are listening to through annoying tape hiss and asking to be reassigned, because they have been on the case for months and suspect that it's all just rhymes.

But yeah, maybe just not the artist for you because if this record was tough for you, Aethiopes or Terror Management are going to be downright inexplicable.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3043177 Previous topic | Next topic