Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3042606

Subject: "Dr. Dre/Snoop/Death Row/West Coast G-Funk Vaults" Previous topic | Next topic
Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24373 posts
Sat Apr-22-23 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Dr. Dre/Snoop/Death Row/West Coast G-Funk Vaults"
Sat Apr-22-23 12:11 PM by Brew

I'm a well known West Coast/G-Funk stan. Dre and Snoop were the first rap artists I ever heard when I was 8 years old. My parents barred me from getting The Chronic when it came out so I had to dub it on a tape labeled "Ace of Base" from one of my neighbors so I could listen to it (quietly) in my room after they went to bed or when they weren't home.

In middle school when we got the internet, I destroyed my parents' computer(s) with various viruses downloading all the new and unreleased Snoop/Dre/Death Row music I could find on sites like snoopsdogghouse.com and other unofficial Death Row sites. When Snoop left Death Row, I bought (and still have, and still often listen to) his self-released CD "Smokefest '96," which is, in part, the impetus for this post.

In those middle school file folders were a *bunch* of unreleased and/or rare/hard to find west coast golden era songs that I've mostly been able to rediscover over the years, but don't listen to as often as I otherwise would because they're only available on other stans' YouTube channels and shit like that. And of course like the rest of us, I spend most of my time these days on streaming (and vinyl more and more).

But last nite something reminded me of one of those old, rare songs and I spent like 3 hours sitting on my couch, searching out and listening to those songs from the mid 90s that I used to have in my file folders on my parents' computer, and reminisced. Which made me decide to make this post; maybe to open a discussion about west coast artists' unreleased/rarity vaults specifically, maybe to open a discussion about unreleased /rarities in general; maybe just to memorialize some of these songs so I never go an extended period without listening to them again; or whatever else.

I wish more of these songs would get the re-mastering treatment and see an official release now that Snoop owns DR (many of them have on various Death Row/Suge Knight releases but they changed enough that the songs lost some of their original magic) cuz damn, these songs are just so vintage, so of their time, so directly up my damn alley haha. I have a lot of them on my old iPod but not all of them.

I can only imagine what else Dre and them have in the vaults that we'll unfortunately never get to hear. These guys were batting a thousand during the early-to-mid 90s (and into the late 90s, in some cases); everything they dropped was a head bobbing masterpiece IMO. So cool, so funky, so vibey and groovy, so fun.

Anyway - I'm just gonna post a bunch of these bangers below, for my and hopefully some others' enjoyment. Maybe this post goes wood, but hopefully, if nothing else, some of you at least discover some great songs you'd never heard before.

I'll post two good sources below as well, if anyone wants to dig deeper into these west coast vaults; I'm only posting my personal favorites (albeit, several of them). I have some backstories about some of these songs that I'll include below. I somehow vividly remember a lot of the origin stories even tho I first read/found out about them nearly 30 years ago. Core memories I suppose.

Sources:
https://youtube.com/@AnnonymousOne
https://youtube.com/@deathrowvault2663
(be aware that some of the songs on the 2nd link appear to be not what they say they are ... AnonymousOne's songs/vids are 100% legit in my experience).

Bangers:
Snoop Doggy Dogg f. Kurupt, Jewell, Nate Dogg - Every Single Day (OG, remastered)
https://youtu.be/Pn0EIpyttck
(here's the version I always had that was a radio rip from 1996 or so, which has some slight differences):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3qfRpJUV8w

Snoop Doggy Dogg f. The (original) Eastsiders - Feels So Good (from the "Ride" soundtrack)
https://youtu.be/USdBgSLKUto

Dr. Dre - My Life (supposed to have been on Chronic 2: Daddy's Got a Brand New Funk before Dre left DR)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIFc4020Ew

Snoop Doggy Dogg f. George Clinton & Jewell - Doggystyle (sample clearances prevented it from being on the album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJAkg5PigU

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Neva Again (radio rip, song that came out right after he left Death Row and just before the Smokefest album was released)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xINEH6t-z0

Snoop Doggy Dogg f. Dr. Dre - The Next Episode (original g-funk version, also couldn't make Doggystyle cuz of sample issues)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs0DGmd6JdI

Snoop Doggy Dogg f. Kurupt - Ride On (Remix; original was on the Caught Up soundtrack; this remix was on the aforementioned Smokefest album .. I prefer this version. Snoop and Kurupt had great chemistry back then; I wish we got more songs like this and Every Single Day from them)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07_VRA6CrQ

Dr. Dre - Get It (this sounds more like 2001-era Dre but I like it so I included it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dqit-u1M4w

Kurupt f. Jewell - I Don't Bang No More (god dayum this is that vintage g-funk; this is the song I was reminded of last nite that sparked my solo listening party and this post)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStcRjZAi8w

Snoop Doggy Dogg f.Daz, Raphael Saadiq (this song got a somewhat official release and video but still a rarity IMO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPQkO4RHe8

Tha Dogg Pound f. Nate Dogg - Just Doggin' (this was on the Sunset Park soundtrack but still a rarity too IMO .. great Kurupt verses)
https://youtu.be/m3YBAHXFWQM

Nas f. Nature, Dr. Dre - Everyday Thing (not sure the time this was released but it can be gleaned that it was during The Firm sessions, not only cuz of the artists involved but cuz I think Nature's verse is ripped straight from Firm Family, which was on the Firm's album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPNGD2999s

Snoop Doggy Dogg - May I (not sure when this was released but it got an official release on one of Suge's petty post-Dre/Snoop albums)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fkhyROuido

Snoop Doggy Dogg - County Blues (pre-Chronic demo song, same story as above in that it got an official release on one of those Suge albums but this is the original, raw version I had back in the 90s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeNA1NVjAxs

I'll prolly be back to post more, there's so many Snoop gems from the pre-Chronic sessions when he and Dre first got together that I want to post here but I gotta run for now. Enjoy !

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This would've been a lively post back in the day.
Apr 22nd 2023
Haha appreciate the response man.
Apr 22nd 2023
LOL @ writing Ace of Base on the tape
Apr 22nd 2023
Hahahaha
Apr 23rd 2023
lmao
Apr 23rd 2023
Snoop really could not miss during the Doggystyle era huh.
Apr 23rd 2023
I got the initial pressing with Gz Up Hoes Down on it.
Apr 23rd 2023
Think of the mental expansion from Dre.
Apr 24th 2023
I always liked the original version.
Apr 24th 2023
      RE: I always liked the original version.
Apr 24th 2023
           Haha I think they've all toned it down in recent years.
Apr 25th 2023
                RE: Haha I think they've all toned it down in recent years.
Apr 25th 2023
                     No question.
Apr 26th 2023
beautiful stuff. thanks for posting
Apr 24th 2023
Let Me Ride remix
Apr 24th 2023
RE: Let Me Ride remix
Apr 25th 2023
This is incredible. Thank you for posting!
Apr 25th 2023
No prob !
Apr 26th 2023
much appreciation for these
Apr 25th 2023
RE: much appreciation for these
Apr 25th 2023
9X Outta 10 is so nuts.
Apr 25th 2023
LOL so good.
Apr 26th 2023
i agree these are his best 3
Apr 26th 2023
That's the song I've been stuck on the most since revisiting all of thes...
Apr 26th 2023
Streetz is his best album
Apr 26th 2023
      I really wanted Kurupt to be "up next."
Apr 26th 2023
Great post, thanks for putting all these in one place
Apr 25th 2023
Glad to hear it - was hoping to introduce some new stuff to folks.
Apr 26th 2023
Snoop All-Stars - Bitch'z Treat (f/Soopafly/Letoiya Williams)
Apr 26th 2023
Shit - I like this.
Apr 26th 2023
Yup!
Apr 26th 2023
      Nice - IIRC that album was Letoiya heavy.
Apr 26th 2023
           I Believe In You f/ LaToiya was one of my favorites
Apr 26th 2023
                Oh yea both really good.
Apr 27th 2023
                Another good song with her
Apr 27th 2023
                     Ohhh I love this ! w/Kurupt too. Never heard this one. Thanks.
Apr 27th 2023
Hey You (produced by alchemist) from that album as well
Apr 26th 2023
Oh shit forgot about this one.
Apr 26th 2023
      that was a great run for Snoop
Apr 26th 2023
           Nice one. This is the Preemo joint to which I referred.
Apr 26th 2023
                This is another good one
Apr 26th 2023
                     Countless.
Apr 27th 2023
Another one from Snoop All-Stars - I Miss That Bitch
Apr 26th 2023
      Love this track. Think he was talking about weed IIRC
Apr 27th 2023
RE: Dr. Dre/Snoop/Death Row/West Coast G-Funk Vaults
Apr 28th 2023
Appreciate you ! Always glad to hear of likeminded g-funk stans haha.
Apr 28th 2023
The Next Episode would of ended Doggystyle perfectly
May 01st 2023
I agree. Pump Pump is a great song but by no means should've ended that ...
May 01st 2023
      Sample issues didn't stop them from putting Gz Up Hoes Down on there
May 01st 2023
Rolling Stone 100 best West Coast rap songs
May 05th 2023
Yea this is woefully short on g-funk.
May 08th 2023
G-Funk documentary
May 05th 2023
Oh shit.
May 08th 2023
snoop ft. raphael saadiq - midnight love
May 06th 2023
Great song. Was in my original post but I forgot to label it lol.
May 08th 2023
A few more lesser known Dogg Pound Tracks
May 11th 2023

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7374 posts
Sat Apr-22-23 03:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This would've been a lively post back in the day."
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry you put some time & effort into this only for it to eventually brick, due in no part to you but because the boards just don't have the participation they used to have.

Thanks for the links though, I'll check out some joints I surely have never heard. Snoop / Dre / Deathrow was never really my thing.

Didn't know you were a big Death Row / Snoop / Dre head. Always pegged you as the C-O-double-M-O-to-the-N head.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Brew
24373 posts
Sat Apr-22-23 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Haha appreciate the response man."
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Apr-22-23 03:27 PM by Brew

And I know what I was getting into, but didn't mind spending the time posting anyway cuz like I said at the very least I have a reminder for the next few weeks to continue to play this shit that I love and that gives me that boost of nostalgia for when my music journey began. Plus it's just fun for me to get into detail about this music. But I *was* thinking, as I typed out this post, that I wish R-Tistic was still active here haha - I know he'd have contributed some useful info and probably some songs too.

Re: Snoop/Dre/DR v. Common, I'm both haha. Common's still my favorite all time MC.

I started with the west coast, did some mainstream stuff, then got into the Soulquarian/Rawkus/etc. stuff after that and branched out from there throughout, of course. But I often say g-funk and neo-soul were and are my favorite all time hip-hop sub genres. Those may seem like mismatches, but I think the groovy/funky west coast stuff and the soulful/jazzy neo-soul Souquarian era stuff have a lot of similarities with regard to vibes and melodies.

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40916 posts
Sat Apr-22-23 05:22 PM

3. "LOL @ writing Ace of Base on the tape"
In response to Reply # 0

oddly enough my Mom was mad at me for actually buying an AOB album because she saw they white and assumed they were a hard rock group/worshiped the devil

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Brew
24373 posts
Sun Apr-23-23 09:27 AM

4. "Hahahaha"
In response to Reply # 3

>oddly enough my Mom was mad at me for actually buying an AOB album because she saw they white and assumed they were a hard rock group/worshiped the devil

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7374 posts
Sun Apr-23-23 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 3

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sun Apr-23-23 04:02 PM

6. "Snoop really could not miss during the Doggystyle era huh."
In response to Reply # 0

Just about every song that was supposed to be on the album but didn't is banging...and the album still became a classic.

Usually with the albums that are known as the best in hip-hop you can see why the ones left off aren't there...not Doggystyle tho.

doggystyle (the song)

tha next episode (unreleased version)

the root of all evil

gz up, hoes down

...All really good records that could've been on the album but weren't.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Brew
24373 posts
Sun Apr-23-23 07:56 PM

7. "I got the initial pressing with Gz Up Hoes Down on it."
In response to Reply # 6

So damn happy I did. What an unbelievable song.

And yea he was batting a trillion from The Chronic til he was put on trial. I think Doggfather is hella underrated but it was clear the edge was gone.

Every song prior, tho, was just the coolest shit ever released lol. His voice, flow, mic presence, and the beats he was rapping on ... just nothing better.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23860 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:48 AM

8. "Think of the mental expansion from Dre."
In response to Reply # 0

I think even back then, this version of “Tha Next Episode” gets an “Oh, okay” vs the one we more popularly know.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Brew
24373 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 10:55 AM

9. "I always liked the original version."
In response to Reply # 8
Mon Apr-24-23 11:10 AM by Brew

And that's primarily because I prefer the lush, busy g-funk era Dre to the sparse, empty-space 2001 era Dre. Both are great that's just my preference.

I also had the original Next Episode downloaded a couple years after Doggystyle was released so it was the version I was used to. So when the updated version came out in 1998 or 1999, I remember being really let down by the beat. Obviously I've come around on it, it's an amazing, timeless, classic song for a million reasons. But my preference is and always will be g-funk.

But to your point - I don't really think the original would've had the same impact that G Thang did, and that the new version ultimately did, so I think it worked out the way it should've.

More fun facts: Warren G used the same sample from the original Next Episode on "Runnin' Wit No Brakes" from Regulate..G Funk Era:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gKS4bcuUI0

G also used the same sample Dre'd used for an original demo of "Rat Tat Tat", on "And Ya Don't Stop":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6KefsflWk

Original Rat Tat Tat Tat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QEv5ljvA_U

JFrost1117
23860 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 05:00 PM

11. "RE: I always liked the original version."
In response to Reply # 9

They need a podcast series/therapy session to breakdown/come clean/reconcile all the production and bars, in the same place at the same time.

Daz specifically, sometimes he sounds like “Hey, it was what it was, for the greater good” and then he’s like “EVERYTHING WAS MINE FIRST AND THEY TOOK IT AND PUT SOMEONE ELSE’S NAME AND CREDIT ON IT!”

WG is mostly more subtle about it, but some interviews get him riled up.

The whole Above the Law part is fuzzy for me.

Just something to un-jumble all the crossed wires.

Brew
24373 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 09:56 AM

13. "Haha I think they've all toned it down in recent years."
In response to Reply # 11

Maybe you've seen more interviews with Daz than I have, but while I know he was all "fuck Dre he stole my shit" for several years after he left Death Row, IIRC for the past decade or so he's backed off of that and been more diplomatic.

Re: Warren G, you have any examples of him getting riled up about the subject ? I don't think I've ever seen him mad haha.

Re: Above the Law they all buried the hatchet (Cold 187um was on Compton) but yea it's clear that Dre was doing a lot of borrowing from those guys in the early g-funk days. Same sample sources and shit like that. But sorry, Dre's beats were just fucking *better*, always.

Picturing Daz, G, Dre, Cold, etc. in a group therapy session is funny tho.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 04:04 PM

15. "RE: Haha I think they've all toned it down in recent years."
In response to Reply # 13

>But sorry, Dre's beats were
>just fucking *better*, always.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I'm not a producer, so I can't really get into the beatmaker v producer argument as they can. Personally, all I care about is what comes through the speakers.

And while Daz or other Dre proteges may be more proficient at a drum machine or sampler or another instrument, none were as great behind a mixing board and as a leader of a session as Dre.

Some may prefer Daz's sound because it was more LA-centric. I can't argue with taste. But there's a reason why Dre's music has not only been so impactful but stood the test of time.

I think I would be irritated if the root of songs that Dre got credit for were mine. But those songs also wouldn't be as big or remarkable without Dre.

If the producers who worked with Dre had an ear as good as his, they would have equaled Dre's success elsewhere.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 08:51 AM

22. "No question."
In response to Reply # 15

I think Daz's output in the mid-90s was on par with Dre's in terms of g-funk aesthetics. But you nailed everything else. Dre is the maestro. Oversees an entire session. Makes lasting music. Even if some of these guys (and I believe that they did) brought him half-finished beats, samples, whatever, Dre made them *great* songs.

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6506 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 02:29 PM

10. "beautiful stuff. thanks for posting"
In response to Reply # 0

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 07:41 PM

12. "Let Me Ride remix"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/zjYfGDS7FXQ

and some other (somewhat) rarities.

Snoop-Not Like it Was

https://youtu.be/XLQcS6oAQ50

Pac and Snoop-If There’s a Cure for This
https://youtu.be/yyGraSEsDAw

Snoop- Out the Moon
https://youtu.be/iTaFwAlxYog

Snoop- The Wash

https://youtu.be/QwGzRdmV6NU

Snoop- Eat a D***
https://youtu.be/n2PtBllj3ck

The whole 213 album. And yeah I'm sure Dre has some great stuff we’ll never here.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Brew
24373 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 09:58 AM

14. "RE: Let Me Ride remix"
In response to Reply # 12

>https://youtu.be/zjYfGDS7FXQ

Hell yea. Pretty sure this (or another remix) was on the cassette single I had.

>and some other (somewhat) rarities.
>
>Snoop-Not Like it Was
>
>https://youtu.be/XLQcS6oAQ50

This came up oin the "great songs not on Spotify" post ... almost posted it here myself. Beautiful song.

>Pac and Snoop-If There’s a Cure for This
>https://youtu.be/yyGraSEsDAw
>
>Snoop- Out the Moon
>https://youtu.be/iTaFwAlxYog
>
>Snoop- The Wash
>
>https://youtu.be/QwGzRdmV6NU
>
>Snoop- Eat a D***
>https://youtu.be/n2PtBllj3ck
>
>The whole 213 album. And yeah I'm sure Dre has some great
>stuff we’ll never here.

All great ones !!

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43715 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 05:49 PM

16. "This is incredible. Thank you for posting!"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 08:51 AM

23. "No prob !"
In response to Reply # 16

kajsidog
Charter member
2700 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 09:10 PM

17. "much appreciation for these"
In response to Reply # 0

G-funk was such a great sound.

LOVE that Every Single Day song. Sent it to a friend and he said he felt 14 again.

Since you're a self-proclaimed stan do you recommend any of the Kurupt albums? His spotify presence is overwhelming. New or old.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 09:20 PM

18. "RE: much appreciation for these"
In response to Reply # 17

>G-funk was such a great sound.
>
>LOVE that Every Single Day song. Sent it to a friend and he
>said he felt 14 again.
>
>Since you're a self-proclaimed stan do you recommend any of
>the Kurupt albums? His spotify presence is overwhelming. New
>or old.

IMO:
Tha Streetz Iz a Mutha
Blaqkout (collab album with DJ Quik)
Kuruption

JFrost1117
23860 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 09:43 PM

20. "9X Outta 10 is so nuts."
In response to Reply # 18

It’s so rappity-rap, then he busts out “DONT TALK TO ME NO MORE ABOUT NO MUTHAFUCKIN MONEY”

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 08:55 AM

25. "LOL so good."
In response to Reply # 20

>It’s so rappity-rap, then he busts out “DONT TALK TO ME NO MORE ABOUT NO MUTHAFUCKIN MONEY”

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 01:27 PM

31. "i agree these are his best 3"
In response to Reply # 18

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 08:54 AM

24. "That's the song I've been stuck on the most since revisiting all of thes..."

Just such a beautiful beat. And Snoop and Kurupt in their raw primes. Unreal. Some Jewell and Nate for good measure. I could listen to that type of shit all day.

Streetz Iz a Mutha is Kurupt's magnum opus. But as DJR already said, BlaQKout w/ Quik, and his debut solo Kuruption!, are both really good too. Space Boogie: Smoke Oddessey is worth a listen too, if only for the strength of On, Onsite which is one of the best songs he ever made.

Everything else I'm only familiar with in bits and pieces. Like you said, his Spotify/discog is daunting.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 01:26 PM

30. "Streetz is his best album"
Wed Apr-26-23 01:31 PM by makaveli

i feel like a lot of his albums are kinda hit or miss but they usually have one or two songs that are fire. the other albums mentioned above are good but i would also add the DPG album Dillinger and Young Gotti which came out in 2001.

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 01:28 PM

32. "I really wanted Kurupt to be "up next.""
In response to Reply # 30

As an obviously huge Death Row fan I loved Snoop from day 1 and to this day, but in the late 90s I was hoping that Kurupt would emerge as the "next" guy cuz he was just so furious and dope on the mic in his early years. It never really materialized with him, unfortunately, but he's definitely had some shining moments as we've all been mentioning here.

DJR
18569 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 09:22 PM

19. "Great post, thanks for putting all these in one place"
In response to Reply # 0

Some of these I’ve never heard.

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 08:56 AM

26. "Glad to hear it - was hoping to introduce some new stuff to folks."
In response to Reply # 19

Hopefully you find more to love too. It's fun exploring that old stuff.

chincheckin
Charter member
2480 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 07:46 AM

21. "Snoop All-Stars - Bitch'z Treat (f/Soopafly/Letoiya Williams)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ9d0ZTdg7A

http://soundcloud.com/deemack1

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 08:56 AM

27. "Shit - I like this."
In response to Reply # 21

Don't think I ever heard it. Was this from the album of the same name ?

chincheckin
Charter member
2480 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 10:44 AM

28. "Yup!"
In response to Reply # 27

>Don't think I ever heard it. Was this from the album of the
>same name ?

Snoop Dogg Presents... Doggy Style Allstars Vol. 1

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 10:50 AM

29. "Nice - IIRC that album was Letoiya heavy."
In response to Reply # 28

Then she sorta disappeared ? I liked her.

Prolly some other gems on that album I'll have to find a way to revisit it.

DJR
18569 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 03:15 PM

38. "I Believe In You f/ LaToiya was one of my favorites"
In response to Reply # 29

Off the “Paid The Cost..” album.

That and “Ballin’”.

Brew
24373 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 08:35 AM

40. "Oh yea both really good."
In response to Reply # 38

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 12:04 PM

42. "Another good song with her"
In response to Reply # 38
Thu Apr-27-23 12:04 PM by makaveli

Feels Good by Daz

https://youtu.be/DcIhWSQ97Kk

Brew
24373 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 12:43 PM

44. "Ohhh I love this ! w/Kurupt too. Never heard this one. Thanks."
In response to Reply # 42

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 01:34 PM

33. "Hey You (produced by alchemist) from that album as well"

dope song.

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 01:36 PM

34. "Oh shit forgot about this one."
In response to Reply # 33

Snoop made some of his best post-Death Row songs in that early 00s period when he stepped out and made songs with Alchemist, Preemo, Kanye, and some other big name, non-west-coast producers. Nice change of pace and he was clearly motivated during that period.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 02:18 PM

35. "that was a great run for Snoop"
In response to Reply # 34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUhAinbEEI

adding link to Real Soon from the Welcome to tha Chuuch album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LinAgEKq8Y

Brew
24373 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 02:23 PM

36. "Nice one. This is the Preemo joint to which I referred."
In response to Reply # 35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rNipX6kqy0

Always thought this was a great collabo.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 06:40 PM

39. "This is another good one"
In response to Reply # 36

Snoop has so many good songs.

Brew
24373 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 12:43 PM

43. "Countless."
In response to Reply # 39

chincheckin
Charter member
2480 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 03:10 PM

37. "Another one from Snoop All-Stars - I Miss That Bitch"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68vLrpScwfo

Prod by Hi-Tek

Brew
24373 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 08:36 AM

41. "Love this track. Think he was talking about weed IIRC"
In response to Reply # 37

JtothaI
Charter member
17131 posts
Fri Apr-28-23 12:07 PM

45. "RE: Dr. Dre/Snoop/Death Row/West Coast G-Funk Vaults"
In response to Reply # 0

Great post, info and memories! I was right there with you downloading all this stuff on kazaa, linewire, napster etc and ruining computers.

I remember most of these, except that Dre "Get It" which is pretty good quality too.

I'm here for this post!

Brew
24373 posts
Fri Apr-28-23 12:54 PM

46. "Appreciate you ! Always glad to hear of likeminded g-funk stans haha."
In response to Reply # 45

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Mon May-01-23 10:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
47. "The Next Episode would of ended Doggystyle perfectly "
In response to Reply # 0

It's weird that there isn't a HQ version of that.

Brew
24373 posts
Mon May-01-23 10:48 AM

48. "I agree. Pump Pump is a great song but by no means should've ended that ..."
In response to Reply # 47

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Mon May-01-23 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
49. "Sample issues didn't stop them from putting Gz Up Hoes Down on there"
In response to Reply # 48
Mon May-01-23 12:04 PM by OKdamn

My CD had it...Doggystyle still doesn't sound right without it.

They should of said f it and threw that joint on there. GANGSTAS..

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Fri May-05-23 05:59 PM

50. "Rolling Stone 100 best West Coast rap songs"
In response to Reply # 0

not so much G-Funk on here

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-west-coast-hip-hop-songs-1234712968/

The 100 Greatest West Coast Hip-Hop Songs of All Time

From N.W.A to Tyler, the Creator, from mobb music to hyphy

BY ROLLING STONE

MAY 1, 2023

west coast rap

HIP-HOP WAS BORN in the Bronx in the summer of 1973. To celebrate the music’s 50th anniversary, “Rolling Stone” will be publishing a series of features, historical pieces, op-eds, and lists throughout this year.

Our story of West Coast hip-hop music begins in 1981. That’s when producer, songwriter, and industry veteran Duffy Hooks III formed Rappers Rapp Disco Co. in Los Angeles. The label’s first release was “The Gigolo Rapp,” a nine-minute party platter that featured Disco Daddy and Captain Rapp rocking over an interpolation of Rick James’ “Give It to Me.” That same year, Oakland entrepreneur and soul singer Mickey “Mo” Moore released “Super Rat,” by Motorcycle Mike and the Rat Trap Band on Hodisk Records. However, the tale could start much earlier. There’s plenty of evidence that rap developed long before the Sugarhill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight” brought New York hip-hop to the world. “From the nasty tales of Stagolee to H. Rap Brown in the Sixties, most of rap is nothing more than straight-up Black bravado,” wrote Ice-T in his book The Ice Opinion. “Rapping is just something you pick up in the ghetto.”

In four-plus decades, the West Coast scene has blossomed with musical variety, not only in Los Angeles and the Bay Area but also Sacramento, Phoenix, Seattle, and other cities across the region. From the electro era to mobb music, turntablism, hyphy, and more, it has produced so many standout artists, micro-scenes, one-hit wonders, and multi-genre fusions that it proved impossible to fit them all into a single, 100-song list. We could dedicate half of the list to the N.W.A family tree alone, a lineage that stretches from the World Class Wreckin’ Cru to Kendrick Lamar. We could have stuffed it with 2Pac, Dr. Dre, and Snoop Dogg hits. Instead, we chose to go broad, sticking to one main artist’s song apiece, with few exceptions. Even then, we struggled to include everyone who matters. Inevitably, some did not make the cut.

The list was compiled by our editors and a team of critics headed up by Bay Area writer and longtime RS contributor Mosi Reeves. After compiling the initial list, we thought it would be nice to get an insider’s opinion. Our expert eyeballer for the 100 Greatest West Coast Hip-Hop Songs is Mike Cox of the L.A. production duo Mike & Keys. They have worked with many of the artists who appear here, including Dr. Dre, Nipsey Hustle, Dom Kennedy, Xzibit, and Saweetie. “West Coast hip-hop is the inspiration that me and my partner Keys used to make Nipsey’s album Victory Lap, because we were inspired by Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, N.W.A,” says Mike. “We were inspired by them using funk samples with hip-hop drums.”

Mike says that when Nipsey Hussle began work on the Grammy-nominated Victory Lap, he connected with numerous OG producers, including the late Digital Underground figurehead Shock G, Dr. Dre, and DJ Quik as well as engineers who worked on those sessions. “It’s like going and sitting with your senseis that did it before you and getting the blessing. We did that with all the West Coast legends,” he says.

However, Mike wonders what West Coast hip-hop means now in the age of the internet. “The internet made it possible for anybody to put their music up and think they’re a professional,” he says. “It’s made music more of a gumbo effect.… When you have everything accessible to you, you’re kinda all over the place.” Yet that’s part of the history, too. As the region evolves and acclimates to changing tastes in the music industry, our 100 Greatest West Coast Hip-Hop Songs stands as a snapshot of the scene’s important landmarks. It’s made with the knowledge that the future may well uncover a different portrait.

100. Black Eyed Peas - joints and jams

99. Oaktown's 3-5-7 - yeah, yeah, yeah

98. Dom Kennedy - when I come around

97. Open Mike Eagle - qualifiers

96. Captain Rapp - Bad Times (I Can't Stand It)

95. Brotha Lynch Hung - rest in piss

94. The Alkaholiks - make room

93. Dilated Peoples - work the angles

92. Kamaiyah - how does it feel?

91. Zion-I - inner light

90. Blu and Exile - So(Ul) Amazin’ (Steel Blazin’)

89. Saafir - light sleeper

88. L.A. Dream Team - The Dream Team Is In The House!

87. King Tee - At Your Own Risk (Buddha Mix)

86. Lyrics Born - Callin' Out

85. Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard

84. Saweetie - ICY GRL

83. P-Lo - Put Me On Somethin'

82. Skee-Lo - I Wish

81. World Class Wreckin’ Cru - Turn Off The Lights

80. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Same Love

79. Medusa/S.I.N. - Power Of The P

78. 03 Greedo - Never Bend

77. Deltron 3030 - 3030

76. Earl Sweatshirt - Chum

75. Toddy Tee - Batteram

74. Xzbit - Get Your Walk On

73. Problem feat. Bad Luc - Like Whaaat

72. Mack 10 & Tha Dogg Pound - Nothin' But The Cavi Hit

71. Kreayshawn - Gucci Gucci

70. Young MC - Bust A Move

69. Doja Cat - Rules

68. Mozzy - Bladadah

67. SOB x RBE - Anti

66. The Coup - Fat Cats, Bigga Fish

65. People Under the Stairs - Acid Raindrops

64. Westside Connection - Bow Down

63. DJ Shadow - Midnight In A Perfect World

62. Kendrick Lamar - DNA

61. JT the Bigga Figga - Game Recognize Game

60. Spice 1 - Trigga's Got No Heart

59. San Quinn & Andre Nickatina - Ayo

58. Tyga - Rack City

57. MC Hammer - Let's Get It Started

56. Kid Frost - La Raza

55. The Conscious Daughters - Somethin' To Ride To (Fonky Expedition)

54. Schoolboy Q - Man Of The Year

53. Roddy Ricch - The Box

52. Quasimoto - Microphone Mathematics

51. 2Pac feat. Digital Underground - I Get Around

50. The Pharcyde - Passin' Me By

49. Snoop Dogg feat. Kurupt, Nate Dogg & Warren G - Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None)

48. Drakeo the Ruler - Flu Flamming

47. RBL Posse - Don't Give Me No Bammer

46. Sir Mix-a-Lot - Posse On Broadway

45. Too $hort - Freaky Tales

44. Freestyle Fellowship - 7th Seal

43. The D.O.C. - It's Funky Enough

42. MC Eiht - Streiht Up Menace

41. The Jacka feat. Andre Nickatina - Glamorous Lifestyle

40. Vince Staples - Norf Norf

39. Eazy-E - Boyz-N-The Hood

38. J.J. Fad - Supersonic

37. Lil B - I'm god

36. The Game feat. 50 Cent - Hate It Or Love It

35. Coolio - Fantastic Voyage

34. Yo-Yo feat. Ice Cube - You Can't Play With My Yo-Yo

33. Dr. Dre - Still D.R.E.

32. Above the Law - Call It What U Want

31. Egyptian Lover - Egypt, Egypt

30. Ice-T - Colors

29. Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics (The Cut Chemist 2 ½ Minute Workout)

28. Keak Da Sneak - Super Hyphy

27. Luniz - I Got 5 On It

26. The Lady of Rage - Afro Puffs

25. Ice Cube - Dead Homiez

24. Warren G feat. Nate Dogg - Regulate

23. YG feat. Nispey Hussle - FDT

22. Digital Underground - Doowutchyalike

21. Suga Free - Why U Bullshittin'

20. The Pharcyde - Runnin'

19. Tyler, the Creator - Yonkers

18. E-40 feat. the Click - Captain Save A Hoe

17. Cypress Hill - How I Could Just Kill A Man

16. DJ Quik - Tonite

15. Rodney-O and DJ Joe Cooley - Everlasting Bass

14. N.W.A - Fuck Tha Police

13. 2Pac - California Love

12. Eazy-E - Real Muthaphuckkin G's

11. Nipsey Hussle feat. YG - Last Time That I Checc'd

10. Ice-T - 6 In The Mornin'

9. Mac Dre - Feelin' Myself

8. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Gin And Juice

7. Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day

6. Too $hort - Blow The Whistle

5. Souls of Mischief - 93 'Til Infinity

4. Makaveli feat. Outlawz - Hail Mary

3. Kendrick Lamar feat. Mc Eiht - M.A.A.D City

2. N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton

1. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Nuthin' But A "G" Thang

Brew
24373 posts
Mon May-08-23 11:30 AM

55. "Yea this is woefully short on g-funk."
In response to Reply # 50
Mon May-08-23 11:31 AM by Brew

Like I'm sorry but like 30-40% of these songs need to be replaced with g-funk songs, if we're seriously trying to reflect the "greatest" songs to ever come out of the west coast. For example like half of both Doggystyle and The Chronic belong on this list, as does some representation from Dogg Food.

And "Hail Mary" doesn't belong on this list nevermind top 10.

I understand representation for all the important west coast artists and am down for that but that's a different list from "greatest."

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Fri May-05-23 06:00 PM

51. "G-Funk documentary"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5YioamtSqA

Brew
24373 posts
Mon May-08-23 11:14 AM

54. "Oh shit."
In response to Reply # 51

tariqhu
Charter member
17859 posts
Sat May-06-23 09:59 AM

52. "snoop ft. raphael saadiq - midnight love"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-06-23 09:59 AM by tariqhu

https://youtu.be/zSPQkO4RHe8

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brew
24373 posts
Mon May-08-23 11:14 AM

53. "Great song. Was in my original post but I forgot to label it lol."
In response to Reply # 52

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Thu May-11-23 08:28 AM

56. "A few more lesser known Dogg Pound Tracks"
In response to Reply # 0

Say It

https://youtu.be/qm1hIho10m8

Hittin Donuts In the Streets

https://youtu.be/XjJAXWHIXzw

I Luv When You
https://youtu.be/6m0cwc6vvfs

Lobby The Lesson topic #3042606 Previous topic | Next topic