Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3042521

Subject: "How many years will it be before we get another Kendrick album?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 06:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How many years will it be before we get another Kendrick album?"

I know he's still touring and will need a lot of time to recharge from that year-long route, so it's unlikely we'll get anything in the next two years. He likes and needs downtime to collect his creative juices, and I wouldn't expect that demand would change.

But given how "final" the way Mr. Morale ended and his dissatisfaction/frustration at fame and the industry, I don't know if he releases another album within the next five years.

To me, he exhausted the notion of himself as a savior and the internal conflict and unrest it causes. So, he likely has to come up with a new sense of drama for his new album. And while I kind of would like him to drop 14 tracks of him just spitting bars on random topics, that isn't his approach to his LPs, so that's out as well.

The only reason that he might release sooner is to have a big release for okLama. His last album showed he's less of a perfectionist, but even in that more relaxed, spontaneous self, he's not Madlib. He's not gonna record 12 tracks and release it as is.

After waiting 5 years between DAMN and Mr. Morale, I'm accustomed to him taking his time in between major releases, even though I wish he recorded more often. Just curious as to what you all feel.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't think the wait will be that long for a simple reason.
Apr 17th 2023
Your reason makes sense
Apr 17th 2023
Who cares… he’s the absolute most overrated artist of all time.
Apr 17th 2023
I'm interested to learn why you feel that way
Apr 17th 2023
he does get a lot of hype.
Apr 18th 2023
      i thought it was just me
Apr 18th 2023
      This is pretty much how I am with his albums, to a T.
Apr 18th 2023
           Is it really?
Apr 18th 2023
                RE: Is it really?
Apr 20th 2023
      RE: he does get a lot of hype.
Apr 19th 2023
oh stop with this silly shit
Apr 18th 2023
….I assume you mean by “heads”?!!
Apr 18th 2023
Yes, I mean by heads
Apr 18th 2023
This is hipster babble lol.
Apr 19th 2023
My favorite group is Outkast
Apr 19th 2023
      You're narrow-minded if you can't understand
Apr 21st 2023
           RE: You're narrow-minded if you can't understand
Apr 23rd 2023
                Actually you sounds dumb af
Apr 25th 2023
Always thought Q was better nm
Apr 19th 2023
all time is a stretch but he's def one of the most overrated
Apr 23rd 2023
Don’t care… Blu >>> Kendrick
Apr 18th 2023
…..what’s the basis for that comparison?
Apr 18th 2023
      two west coast MCs, minimal age difference
Apr 20th 2023
           Got it….Blu’s dropped like 25+ LPs, EPs, Mixtapes right?
Apr 20th 2023
good question
Apr 19th 2023
It’s not about over-exposure
Apr 19th 2023
Meh on that Black Hippy ish...
Apr 20th 2023
      RE: Meh on that Black Hippy ish...
Apr 27th 2023
           RE: Meh on that Black Hippy ish...
Apr 29th 2023

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 08:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't think the wait will be that long for a simple reason."
In response to Reply # 0

Since Kendrick isn't on TDE anymore it would make sense Kendrick would want to kickoff his PGlang label sooner rather than later.

That said, it does open up the idea of a "Kendrick Lamar presents..." type of album (which would probably work since he already did that type of album with the Black Panther soundtrack) or a straight up group album tho.

*shrugs* Personally I'd love if Kendrick swung back around with the album with J. Cole that should've happened half a decade ago since it would actually be a challenge for two guys that seemingly feel like they've done everything there is to do.....but I know that isn't happening.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 10:06 PM

3. "Your reason makes sense"
In response to Reply # 1

It would be like Dre starting off Aftermath with himself and affiliated artists.

A J Cole album would generate a lot of hype, maybe more from Cole's side, actually, because he's retiring. But I agree. Both rappers are too far along in their careers to worry about fan service for a whole album.

But if he wants to grow pgLang, he needs to put out something sooner than later to capitalize on his name since he's starting from scratch. No matter when the label releases a Kendrick album, it'll get attention, but I'd imagine sooner is better.

But most of all, I'm interested to see how the themes of his albums progress based on the subject matter of Mr. Morale.

On Mr. Morale, he completed the arc of his savior persona, and the emphasis on emotional impact over technical skill, makes me think he's at a place where his music might significantly change in some way.

And developing something like that takes time. There's an art v business battle in there somewhere.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 09:10 PM

2. "Who cares… he’s the absolute most overrated artist of all time."
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Mon Apr-17-23 10:17 PM

4. "I'm interested to learn why you feel that way"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Apr-17-23 10:21 PM by obsidianchrysalis

I'm not coming at you, but do you like his music for the most part but just think the public praise doesn't match up against his skill?

I could see you liking his music because it reflects an appreciation for lyricism, but not the hype because it isn't an extension of the Golden Age acts.

EDIT

This forum has been really quiet lately. Might as well talk about something.

tariqhu
Charter member
17885 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 01:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "he does get a lot of hype."
In response to Reply # 4

he's a great lyricists. writes well. can be abstract or straight forward in his songs.

he's got all the traits of a great mc but he's not that interesting to me. each album seems to be worse than the previous one. That last one just didn't really work for me outside of a couple of tracks. some of the songs were played once and I didn't care to hear them again.

some of that may be my lack of patience in listening to music nowadays, but after TPAB, his music just hasn't grabbed me the same.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 02:59 PM

6. "i thought it was just me"
In response to Reply # 5

>each album seems to be worse than the previous one.

damn had a few tracks that i would return to repeatedly

mr. morale has even fewer

good kid and tpab are masterpieces, but tpab is a bit overdone for me

even section 80 got more burn that these recent albums

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 03:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "This is pretty much how I am with his albums, to a T."
In response to Reply # 6

>>each album seems to be worse than the previous one.
>
>damn had a few tracks that i would return to repeatedly
>
>mr. morale has even fewer
>
>good kid and tpab are masterpieces, but tpab is a bit overdone
>for me
>
>even section 80 got more burn that these recent albums

But to say he's "most overrated artist ever" is just nonsense hyperbole haha.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 05:50 PM

9. "Is it really?"
In response to Reply # 8

>But to say he's "most overrated artist ever" is just nonsense
>hyperbole haha.

When you take into account how high up people actually rate him? It’s really not hyperbole. I’m not saying he’s completely worthless but his output compared to people actually placing him in the top 3 MCs of all-time justifies my statement.

Name me someone more overrated? Jay-Z?

People are more infatuated with the concept of what he stands for as an artists than they are with his actual music.

His voice is terrible.

His concepts are over-cooked and framed as deep when in actuality they come off as nothing more than a recently enlightened college student lol.

I’ll give him this, he’s perfected finding the lane of being just commercial and deep enough for both the heads and the half-ass fans to love. The heads appreciate him because he’s found a way to be successful while talking about something and the commercial fans love him because he is deep enough to provide their fandom some sort of artistic credibility. Truth is, he’s very average in both of those lanes.

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Apr-20-23 12:53 PM

22. "RE: Is it really?"
In response to Reply # 9

"When you take into account how high up people actually rate him? It’s really not hyperbole. I’m not saying he’s completely worthless but his output compared to people actually placing him in the top 3 MCs of all-time justifies my statement."

Nobody in my age group puts in in top 3.

"Name me someone more overrated? Jay-Z?"

Jigga is overrated from a pure mc point of view

"People are more infatuated with the concept of what he stands for as an artists than they are with his actual music."

That's what it is. I didn't know how to say it. He is good but it is more of what you said. I often think about if he woulda be relevant in the early to mid 90's. I think he woulda got lost in the shuffle even he had more skills than other people in that era.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed Apr-19-23 07:41 PM

18. "RE: he does get a lot of hype."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Apr-19-23 07:44 PM by obsidianchrysalis

>That last one just didn't really work for me outside of a couple of tracks. some of the songs were played once and I didn't care to hear them again.

>some of that may be my lack of patience in listening to music nowadays, but after TPAB, his music just hasn't grabbed me the same.

I still think very highly of Kendrick but I rarely go back and listen to his albums in their entirety. There are individual tracks that I replay a lot but I can't remember the last time I just put on TPAB or DAMN. and just let it play all the way through.

I always felt it wasn't so much that his music has gotten worse, it was that my attention span for filler is so much less now. I just loved putting on albums and going for an emotional ride with the artist for an hour back in my 20s and 30s.

Also, I think on Mr. Morale the subject matter is so intense and dense that it's not a replayable album in the traditional sense. To its credit, it sounds like an hour long deeply-wrenching therapy session. That's just not easy emotional or musical land I can wade into while going through my days. I think the skill and artistry is still there, its just not so overwhelming that its worth sitting through the emotional equivalent of physical therapy after a knee replacement.

But, I can see why some people think he's overrated. For as much as I think he stands out as a unique voice and master of his craft, he does so mostly because he doesn't have a current peer in this sense. It's like being a fan of the NBA and Jordan and considering how to process LeBron's career. Like, you can appreciate the skill and feel it is timeless. But, you also wonder how great he would be if he had more direct competition from peers in terms of talent and accomplishment.

Like Drake is the closest in terms of magnitude of stardom, but they really make different music. Drake isn't a spitter and just doesn't think of himself as one and doesn't portray himself that way. Lupe is probably Kendrick's peer as an artist, but he also doesn't have Kendrick's gift for turning the fancies of his imagination and heart into meaningful music for the masses.

And this doesn't even account for how coverage in the social media age works, where anything released five years ago is completely forgotten from time.

If Kendrick were a Golden Age rapper, he still would be great. Would he be considered *as* great. I don't know, probably not. At best, he'd be seen as part of an outstanding generation and not the sole star of one.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4874 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 03:35 PM

7. "oh stop with this silly shit"
In response to Reply # 2

First up, PLENTY of people care. Even heads who love a lot of the same music as you do care. A lot.

Second, even if you aren't a fan, he's the most overrated artist of all time now? My goodness.

You get overly salty when an artist doesn't move like you think they should. I know you were at least somewhat of a fan just a few albums ago, now he's the most overrated artist of all time??? lllooollll

You don't even think that if you take a beat.

Just say you aren't a fan anymore and KIM. Or don't post. But don't come in here talking nonsense because you STILL haven't fully grasped that music/art is subjective and we all have different tastes.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18634 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 07:25 PM

10. "….I assume you mean by “heads”?!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Because with a mainstream audience that doesn’t really love music….there’s far more overrated choices.

If you’re talking strictly “heads” who like, haven’t listened to a Drake album in 13 years and know that Eminem’s catalogue is shit and don’t even consider him as a GOAT….well, I still don’t agree, but I can see where you’re coming from it’ll that’s what you mean.

Section.80 and GKMC are easily his best albums to me.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 10:43 PM

13. "Yes, I mean by heads"
In response to Reply # 10

Drake and Em are pop acts that rap imo.

I’m talking about legit MCs that we take seriously.

Kendrick is the most overrated one.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Wed Apr-19-23 01:47 AM

15. "This is hipster babble lol."
In response to Reply # 2

Artist gets too famous, now you have to shit on them in exaggerated ways.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Apr-19-23 05:41 AM

16. "My favorite group is Outkast"
In response to Reply # 15

They got more popular with every album and I never shit on them.

That’s a lazy try.

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Fri Apr-21-23 11:47 PM

24. "You're narrow-minded if you can't understand "
In response to Reply # 16

why something is popular with the masses. It's intellectually lazy that you don't have that ability.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Apr-23-23 02:48 PM

26. "RE: You're narrow-minded if you can't understand "
In response to Reply # 24

>why something is popular with the masses. It's intellectually
>lazy that you don't have that ability.

Please show me where I said I didn’t understand why it was popular to the masses.

You sound dumb as shit.

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 09:18 PM

27. "Actually you sounds dumb af"
In response to Reply # 26

Cuz you can't connect the two.

guru0509
Charter member
45353 posts
Wed Apr-19-23 09:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Always thought Q was better nm"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Apr-19-23 09:21 PM by guru0509

>

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Sun Apr-23-23 09:46 AM

25. "all time is a stretch but he's def one of the most overrated"
In response to Reply # 2

<--- Big Baller World Order

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4374 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 08:28 PM

11. "Don’t care… Blu >>> Kendrick "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-18-23 08:33 PM by javi222

Last album was a convoluted mess

Yes, he is overrated

DJR
18634 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 08:35 PM

12. "…..what’s the basis for that comparison?"
In response to Reply # 11

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4374 posts
Thu Apr-20-23 09:49 AM

20. "two west coast MCs, minimal age difference "
In response to Reply # 12

Kendrick has the industry machine behind him, which is what others are pointing out

Blu is not supported by the industry in that way..compared to TPAB, Below The Heavens didn’t get much attention

same argument applies to Del … Deltron 3030 is a masterpiece, his discography is far superior than Kendrick , yet he barely gets mentioned as one of the greats because he is not the typical street rapper that can be marketed

DJR
18634 posts
Thu Apr-20-23 12:10 PM

21. "Got it….Blu’s dropped like 25+ LPs, EPs, Mixtapes right?"
In response to Reply # 20

I like him, but I can’t keep up so I haven’t heard a lot of it.

Kendrick takes a lot more time between releases, so it’s hard to compare them catalogue wise.

Johnny
Charter member
4446 posts
Wed Apr-19-23 01:42 AM

14. "good question"
In response to Reply # 0

it will definitely be interesting to see where he goes from here with the new label/media venture

I do think we'll get something sooner, within two years from now. But I wonder how much more music will he put out going forward. It would be dope for him just to drop some "straight rapping" shit for the heads but he's always been pretty album themed-based. I would like for him to switch it up maybe next time. Maybe just do a more straight forward project like Untitled (which I loved).

I need to go back to mr morale. KL has been one of my most listened to artists since 2010's but I barely listened to the last one honestly.

The J Cole/Kendrick project would be interesting but I'm doubtful about that. Top Dawg mentioned Black Hippy on twitter recently, even more doubtful on that also

as far him being overrated. I think it's just a product of social media and the internet these days. I no longer get ruffled about what's popular or trending because there's a case for Everything being somewhat overhyped/over exposed.

Personally I think its partially due to a person's habits. I have to catch myself from being the "old man yelling at the kids on his lawn" because I use social media way more than I should. So if I'm seeing the same things over and over, it's really my fault for being overexposed to it.

Not sure if that makes sense but I was just thinking about this the other day in regards to all the internet fads and convo's and stuff. Everyone has access and several outlets to express their opinions more than ever. Everyone is a "Content Creator" so its just overload to me right now. I definitely need a break from it all. I would personally call Jay-Z way for overrated than Kendrick imo

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Apr-19-23 05:46 AM

17. "It’s not about over-exposure "
In response to Reply # 14

Dude just got ranked the second greatest MC of all-time.

Granted that’s billboard and lists are gonna list but my overrated comment is in regards to how is placed in pretty much everyone’s top 10 and I simply don’t see the quality of his music lining up. It’s like he fooled everyone into thinking he’s some genius artist that’s doing shit no one else is doing. That’s true for the mainstream perhaps, but he’s nowhere close to operating on a Lupe level when it comes to lyrics.

For me, his voice and delivery is absolutely grating. I don’t even know how people listen to someone like that. Same goes for Wayne. I’m fine with being the minority on that.

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Apr-20-23 01:09 PM

23. "Meh on that Black Hippy ish..."
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Apr-20-23 01:11 PM by normal35762

More than likely it would be starchy and squeaky clean and ajebo if it is some new material.

Think a Nation of Islam minister who is so used to dressing up that when you see them in casual gear and a nigga still wearing dress socks with they sweatsuits.

Think undercover cop with dread wig and clean shave trying to blend in with creased Grateful Dead shirt, True Religion jeans and wide brim New Era cap of latest sports team to win the championship. Casual but stiff and uniformy.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 11:10 AM

28. "RE: Meh on that Black Hippy ish..."
In response to Reply # 23

>More than likely it would be starchy and squeaky clean and
>ajebo if it is some new material.
>
>Think a Nation of Islam minister who is so used to dressing up
>that when you see them in casual gear and a nigga still
>wearing dress socks with they sweatsuits.
>
>Think undercover cop with dread wig and clean shave trying to
>blend in with creased Grateful Dead shirt, True Religion jeans
>and wide brim New Era cap of latest sports team to win the
>championship. Casual but stiff and uniformy.

Not quite sure exactly what you mean by that analogy, but I think I agree with you lol

If Black Hippy was gonna put out an official album, it should have been done around 2013.. in the space after they all put out their acclaimed 2nd albums/1st major albums. Of course, I'm sure they were busy touring and doing publicity runs during that time. The was the last window where something like that would have made sense and still had an impact on the game. OR it should have happened before all that.. when they were still putting out a lot of Black Hippy songs in 2010. It could have been TDE's first official album drop (following the Wu-Tang model).

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sat Apr-29-23 07:18 PM

29. "RE: Meh on that Black Hippy ish..."
In response to Reply # 28

>when they
>were still putting out a lot of Black Hippy songs in 2010. It
>could have been TDE's first official album drop (following the
>Wu-Tang model).

That would have been a dope way to launch TDE. In retrospect, everything turned out okay since they've had a tangible level of success. But a 21st Century equivalent of Enter the Wu-Tang would be great.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3042521 Previous topic | Next topic