Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3042328

Subject: "Meshell Ndegeocello - Virgo - new album "The Omnichord Real Book"" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Fri Mar-24-23 06:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Meshell Ndegeocello - Virgo - new album "The Omnichord Real Book""
Fri Mar-24-23 06:25 PM by c71

virgo

https://youtu.be/Rc5lwkRQpko

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/meshell-ndegeocello-new-album-the-omnichord-real-book-virgo-song-1234701566/

SOUL SPACE ODYSSEY

Meshell Ndegeocello Starts ‘Virgo’ Season Early With New Song Off ‘The Omnichord Real Book’

The album marks the celebrated singer-songwriter's first of all new material in nearly a decade

BY JON BLISTEIN

MARCH 22, 2023

Celebrated singer-songwriter Meshell Ndegeocello is back with a new song, “Virgo.” The single will appear on her first album of all new material in nearly a decade, The Omnichord Real Book, out June 16 via Blue Note.

“Virgo” is a slinky, eight-minute jazz-soul epic that blends everything from disco guitar and plucky synths to atmospheric washes of sound and a bit of ethereal harp: “They’re calling me back to the stars,” Ndegeocello sings. “Deep outer space, they’re calling me.”

The Omnichord Real Book follows Ndegeocello’s 2018 covers album, Ventriloquism, but it’s her first LP of original material since 2014’s Comet, Come to Me. Ndegeocello did drop an original song, “True Vine,” in 2019, and in 2021 helmed the theme music for the Netflix series, We the People; she also linked up with Robert Glasper and H.E.R. for the 2020 single “Better Than I Imagined.”

The Omnichord Real Book was produced by Josh Johnson and features contributions from numerous artists, including Jason Moran, Ambrose Akinmusire, Joel Ross, Jeff Parker, Brandee Younger, Julius Rodriguez, Mark Guiliana, Cory Henry, Joan As Police Woman, and Thandiswa.

In a statement, Ndegeocello described the new album as “a little bit of all of me, my travels, my life. My first record I made at 22, and it’s over 30 years from then, so I have a lot of stored information to share.” She added that the pandemic lockdown gave her the opportunity to “really sit and reacquaint myself with music.”

Ndegeocello also spoke about how the album was very much inspired by the way her relationship with the past changed after the deaths of her parents. “This album is about the way we see old things in new ways,” she explained. “Everything moved so quickly when my parents died. Changed my view of everything and myself in the blink of an eye. As I sifted through the remains of their life together, I found my first Real Book, the one my father gave me. I took their records, the ones I grew up hearing, learning, remembering. My mother gifted me with her ache, I carry the melancholy that defined her experience and, in turn, my experience of this thing called life calls me to disappear into my imagination and to hear the music.”

The Omnichord Real Book Track List

1. “Georgia Ave” (feat. Josh Johnson)

2. “An Invitation”

3. “Call the Tune”

4. “Good Good” (feat. Jade Hicks, Josh Johnson)

5. “Omnipuss”

6. “Clear Water” (feat. Deantoni Parks, Jeff Parker, Sanford Biggers)

7. “ASR” (feat. Jeff Parker)

8. “Gatsby” (feat. Cory Henry, Joan As Police Woman)

9. “Towers” (feat. Joel Ross)

10. “Perceptions” (feat. Jason Moran)

11. “THA KING” (feat. Thandiswa)

12. “Virgo” (feat. Brandee Younger, Julius Rodriguez)

13. “Burn Progression” (feat. Hanna Benn, Ambrose Akinmusire)

14. “Oneelevensixteen”

15. “Vuma” (feat. Thandiswa, Joel Ross)

16. “The 5th Dimension” (feat. The Hawtplates)

17. “Hole in the Bucket” (feat. The Hawtplates)

18. “Virgo 3” (feat. Oliver Lake (Arr.), Mark Guiliana, Brandee Younger, Josh Johnson)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this is going to be epic
Mar 25th 2023
Can't Wait!
Mar 25th 2023
Loving the Virgo track.
Mar 26th 2023

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Sat Mar-25-23 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this is going to be epic"
In response to Reply # 0

and I am avoiding the singles at all cost -- as soon as I saw the features on Virgo I was super hype, then I saw the full tracklist and got goosebumps

Akinmusire
Rodriguez
Ross
Moran
Johnson
Younger
and JEFF PARKER

I can't wait.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Roadblock
Charter member
7870 posts
Sat Mar-25-23 05:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Can't Wait!"
In response to Reply # 0

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Sun Mar-26-23 02:06 PM

3. "Loving the Virgo track."
In response to Reply # 0

Excited for the album. She's such a huge inspiration.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Lobby The Lesson topic #3042328 Previous topic | Next topic