Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3042294

Subject: "Is a hip-hop cover always a bad thing?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is a hip-hop cover always a bad thing?"

Logic is getting cooked for his cover of Ice Cube's today was a good day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZXtNH0y2t8

Logic is going to get roasted or praised either way by his fans and haters because dude is polarizing like that but I'm like meh, Cube will get a check from it at least.

Snoop started it with his Lottie Dottie cover/tribute which again to me was meh.

I really really like Joey Badass cover of Umi Says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP6EoNotPZk

He legit brought something new to a classic and the showmanship was top notch.

Not going to say I love it but I guess for one spin I liked Tobe N's cover of Lauryn Hill's Doo Wop just because, well it's different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jowiZHaRFI

But what do you all think? Are hip-hop artist covering other hisp-hop artist a no go from jump or are there some exceptions you dig?

BTW, I am not talking about things like orchestral covers of things like J DIlla's work which I think are generally cool.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They can be good. Lodi Dodi was perfectly done.
Mar 21st 2023
this is likely a generational question.
Mar 21st 2023
RE: Is a hip-hop cover always a bad thing?
Mar 21st 2023

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "They can be good. Lodi Dodi was perfectly done."
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "this is likely a generational question."
In response to Reply # 0

it was seen as off limits for a long time. I think Snoop's made it more acceptable because he was so huge and still respected by the streets.

Today, it seems like not a big deal, except when it's horrible or done by someone like Logic.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

doitall76
Member since Dec 01st 2002
476 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Is a hip-hop cover always a bad thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think a cover can serve a phenomenal purpose for reintroducing an artist’s catalog to the new generation. The Joey Bada$$ cover was off the chain. I do believe there has to be a generational gap for it work. A hip-hop generation, from A calculation of time perspective, seems to be a shorter amount of time than a lot of other genres, in my opinion.

Both Mos Def and Black Rob covered Slick Rick’s Children’s Story. Those were both done very well. I do feel like Mos Def was more impressive from a reinterpretation standpoint.

Peace
Doitall76

Lobby The Lesson topic #3042294 Previous topic | Next topic