Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3042067

Subject: "Sunny War - Anarchist Gospel" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Feb-28-23 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sunny War - Anarchist Gospel"
Tue Feb-28-23 10:39 AM by thebigfunk

Just a quick plug for this excellent album released last month.

She calls herself "folk-punk" -- I'm not sure what that means, but her sound leans more toward the folk side of that equation, though she's in and around country-rock, blues, and the general roots milieu. T

The guest list gives a sense of that, including numerous appearances from Allison Russell and Dave Rawlings.

But she's bringing some other shit too: there's a fucking Van Hunt cover ("Hopeless") for instance, and it's *magic*.

I'm hoping the work w/Rawlings means somewhere, someday we get a Gillian & Sunny War project.

The ethos of the time has finally started to chip away at the mostly-white nature of the folk/Americana scene, with a lot of interesting artists of color finding their way through the trails blazed by those who came before. It's hard not to think of Sunny War in the context of Rhiannon Giddens/Carolina Chocolate Drops, for instance.

But at the end of the day, this is just a great album regardless of context --- hope folks support.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #3042067 Previous topic | Next topic