1. "It's top 3 in their discography for me." In response to Reply # 0
One caveat being that I was just starting to really get into music back then so I had only been listening to De La for about a year at that point. I never warmed up to '3 Feet High and Rising', and it beats out 'Stakes is High' as well. No shade against 'Stakes' I just love Grind Date that much.
8. "All releases ranked..." In response to Reply # 2 Wed Feb-22-23 10:53 AM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga
1) 3 Feet High and Rising 2) De La Soul Is Dead 3) Buhloone Mindstate 4) Stakes Is High 5) The Best (1993 Italian Release) 6) Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump 7) The Grind Date 8) AOI: Bionix 9) Smell The Da.I.S.Y. 10) The Impossible: Mission TV Series 11) And the Anonymous Nobody... 12) Are You In?: Nike+ Original Run 13) Plug 1 & Plug 2 Present... First Serve
3. "In my eyes, the top 5 can be totally interchangeable." In response to Reply # 0 Wed Feb-22-23 09:55 AM by Brew
In other words I'm not gonna argue with anyone who has that top 5 in literally any order. That's how good De La Soul is/their discog is.
I may be slightly confused if anyone had any of the last 3 in their top 5 above the others, but those albums are great in their own ways too.
Brew Rankings: 1. Buhloone Mindstate 2. Stakes is High 3. 3 Feet High 4. Grind Date 5. DLSID 6. AOI 7. Bionix 8. Anonymous Nobody
Anyway, regarding Grind Date specifically, that album was one of the soundtracks of my junior year in college and I agree that it's near perfect. "Shopping Bags" is the only song I've ever skipped and continue to skip.
But man are the highs high. "The Future" is a typically great opening track and one of my fave De La songs. "Much More" *chef's kiss*. "Rock Co. Kane Flow" is one of the best songs ever created. "Days of Our Lives" is a(nother) typically great collab with Common; Comm's comeback verse before Be dropped. That song goes hard as hell.
This is the album that put me on to Jake One, who had one hell of a fucking run around this time. His beats for "Rock Co. Kane Flow" and "Days of Our Lives" go *hoard*.
What a terrific album and statement by the best group of all time.
DLS will be SORELY missed as a full unit. RIP Trugoy.
9. "RE: In my eyes, the top 5 can be totally interchangeable." In response to Reply # 3
"Gasp", clutch, gags on tongue!
Shopping Bags IS MY SH!T.
But this is a great example of different tastes.
My rankings: 1 Stakes is High 2 Buhloone Mindstate 3 The Grind Date 4 3 Feet High 4 De La Soul is Dead 6 Bionix 7 Plug 1 & Plug 2 Present... First Serve 8 Mosaic Thump 9 And the Anonymous Nobody 10 Are You In? 11 The Impossible Mission 12 Smell The Da.I.S.Y.
Putting anything at the bottom should not be seen as disrepect to the albums, but I am ranking based on my replay history.
And yes, I have 2 4's. Musically they are fantastic, but since I had to go back to listen to them, as I got into hip hop in '92, the others came naturally to me as I devoured them as they came out.
I think for me it was the first De La album that came out while I was already a fan of them. I played it so much. Among 2004 albums I think I have it top 3 for me. k-os - Joyful Rebellion, then either GD or Gift of Gab 4th Dimensional Rocketships. I played all 3 a ton a long with College Dropout. I think the k-os and Grind Date are the only of those 4 I still go back to often so maybe top 2.
As far as where it ranks in their discog it's tricky. I think for me it has fallen some because I really got into Stakes recently.
I think top 3 for me in whatever order is: 3 Feet High Buhloone DLS is Dead