Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3042007

Subject: "De La's Recordings with Primo, Pete, & Paul" Previous topic | Next topic
doitall76
Member since Dec 01st 2002
476 posts
Tue Feb-21-23 08:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"De La's Recordings with Primo, Pete, & Paul"

I have started to post this a couple of times and erased/deleted it before, and never posted it. I don't want this come off with a selfish tone, but I hope that we do get a proper release of the recordings that they had said were underway with DJ Premier and Pete Rock, and with Prince Paul.

I can't imagine what it would be like, especially for Paul, Pos, and Maseo, to go back and prepare them for a proper release. Much the same way that Tribe handled their last album, and DJ Rasta Root handled Phife's (props to him on that one. It was a while before we saw the release, but it was done right and it provided a great sense of closure that I needed).

Obviously, they owe me/us/the world nothing. If they never released anything else I would understand. The 33/34 years of recordings are truly more than we deserved. If they were to ever announce that there is material coming, whether recordings of all 3 members or just Pos and Maseo, man I would be on the edge of my seat with anticipation, like I have been with every release.

I have always been ready and eager to see the direction they are going to take me with their music. I feel that there are among the select upper echelon of artists that conveyed their heart and soul in their music, and I have always been enriched by them.

Peace
Doitall76

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't know how much was recorded
Feb 21st 2023
RE: I don't know how much was recorded
Feb 21st 2023
Yeah it doesn't feel like there is a lot
Feb 21st 2023
If this is the end of De La, I'm ok with that...
Feb 22nd 2023
I mean Maseo had a solo album and never dropped it.
Feb 23rd 2023

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Tue Feb-21-23 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't know how much was recorded"
In response to Reply # 0

I know when we first heard them mention Premier and Pete Rock we all assumed the album(s) were imminent. In an interview around the announcement of the streaming date for their old music it seemed to me that there wasn't much ready with Premier and Pete Rock. I know we all assumed that they also had worked on new music with Prince Paul when they posted pictures but in that same interview it seemed that was just focused on reworking the old music for streaming.

I of course would love to hear what they have finished but it's not really my focus at the moment.

I do hope Pos and Maseo keep making and sharing music but I understand if they don't. If there is enough material done to their satisfaction to release a final De La Soul album that would be awesome.

doitall76
Member since Dec 01st 2002
476 posts
Tue Feb-21-23 01:58 PM

2. "RE: I don't know how much was recorded"
In response to Reply # 1

There is a consolation prize with the fact that with the release of the 6 albums to the streaming services, there are versions of some songs where the samples didn't or couldn't be cleared. So, I am very interested in listening to them and discovering a slightly different sound to some of the songs. Since I have the albums on my own server, I will get to have both versions. So some songs will have a different sound apparently.

Peace
Doitall76

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Tue Feb-21-23 04:20 PM

3. "Yeah it doesn't feel like there is a lot"
In response to Reply # 1

the mentions had kind of died over the past year or so while the streaming stuff was being hashed out. Also from the reports it feels like Dave's health has been bad for a few years and recording probably was not happening. I hope there is material, but not sure.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Wed Feb-22-23 08:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "If this is the end of De La, I'm ok with that... "
In response to Reply # 0

...they've done more than any other group in history in terms of delivering classic after classic and then some ...Maybe Pos will finally drop a solo LP, maybe not ...anything extra we get from the group at this point would be unexpected surprise to me

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Feb-23-23 09:35 PM

5. "I mean Maseo had a solo album and never dropped it."
In response to Reply # 0

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.18706/title.de-la-souls-maseo-announces-solo-project-featuring-mac-miller-krs-one

...personally I know nothing, but I doubt they didn't record much. I think they have a ton of heat they just sitting on, whether we'll ever hear it tho who knows.

Didn't know much about Dave's condition.....I was always under the assumption that we'd get new music after the catalogue.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Lobby The Lesson topic #3042007 Previous topic | Next topic