Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3041071

Subject: "Black Thought & El Michels Affair - Glorious Game" Previous topic | Next topic
las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14981 posts
Thu Jan-05-23 12:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black Thought & El Michels Affair - Glorious Game"

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnCgJqFD8Dn/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I really hope an album is coming...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is actually my dream collaboration
Jan 05th 2023
Oh damn two years ago
Jan 05th 2023
and work with Wu Tang.
Jan 10th 2023
RE: Black Thought & El Michels Affair - Glorious Game
Jan 05th 2023
Formal Announcement coming Wed. First single is streaming on Big Crown's...
Jan 10th 2023
Preordered a record and a shirt
Jan 11th 2023
4/14? is it just me....
Jan 11th 2023
It’s likely the lead time for the Vinyl production
Jan 11th 2023
It coincides with El Michels Affair's Coachella performance on 4/16
Jan 12th 2023
Turntable Lab has an exclusive 'blue panther' vinyl
Jan 12th 2023
Amazing news, I am not taking this run for granted
Jan 14th 2023
^^ Definitely
Jan 15th 2023
No question. We've been lucky with a lot of artists from our era.
Jan 16th 2023
it can be easy to get caught up in the "constant newness" of music...
Jan 21st 2023
Amazing...
Jan 22nd 2023
As of now, yes. But...
Jan 24th 2023
      Oh awesome...
Feb 01st 2023
Live Session (link)
Jan 31st 2023
RE: Live Session (link)
Feb 01st 2023
That Girl
Feb 19th 2023
I keep saying I don't want to hear singles
Feb 21st 2023
Glorious Game (the title track)
Mar 09th 2023
May 18th - NYC Album Release Party
Mar 11th 2023
Traveling there from the West Coast
Mar 20th 2023
Damn, sold out. Wish I saw this sooner!
Mar 20th 2023
      me too
Apr 11th 2023
The album is really good
Apr 11th 2023
I think it is cause i have s hitty record play
Apr 11th 2023
      nah
Apr 11th 2023
      RE: I think it is cause i have s hitty record play
Apr 14th 2023
           I did get a skip the second time I played it
Apr 14th 2023
"The Weather" and how it was inspired by Dilla's "Don't Cry"
Apr 14th 2023
favorite track so far
Apr 14th 2023
nice read
Apr 14th 2023
By far my favorite song.
Apr 22nd 2023
      RE: By far my favorite song.
Apr 24th 2023
Off first listen, very good
Apr 14th 2023
excellent album again
Apr 14th 2023
LIVE WEBCAST this Sunday!
Apr 14th 2023
Protocol the early favorite for me
Apr 16th 2023
Hollow Way - Protocol - The Weather
Apr 18th 2023
Legit said this to my friend via text last nite:
Apr 22nd 2023
      Ha, it really stood out to me
Apr 24th 2023
Great album
Apr 18th 2023
Wow this is a terrific album.
Apr 22nd 2023
its good...
Apr 25th 2023
the Jimmy Lee album is great
Apr 26th 2023
RE: Black Thought & El Michels Affair - Glorious Game
Apr 25th 2023
IDK why they didnt just call that SOT.V4
Apr 27th 2023
      Cuz they'd already announced their collab like a decade ago as "Cheat Co...
Apr 27th 2023
damn this is hitting
Aug 25th 2023

Dhernsol
Member since Jul 24th 2006
193 posts
Thu Jan-05-23 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is actually my dream collaboration"
In response to Reply # 0

I made a previous post two years ago after hearing a demo they made together:

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3026648&mesg_id=3026648&listing_type=search

El Michels Affair are the most tasteful group of musicians in the game having worked with Amy Winehouse, Mark Ronson, Lee Fields, Charles Bradley, etc. Praying for a full album!

las raises
14981 posts
Thu Jan-05-23 12:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Oh damn two years ago "
In response to Reply # 1

This makes me think it will be an album by then

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 01:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "and work with Wu Tang."
In response to Reply # 1

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

spidey
Charter member
13119 posts
Thu Jan-05-23 01:51 PM

3. "RE: Black Thought & El Michels Affair - Glorious Game"
In response to Reply # 0

Hyped to hear the outcome...appreciated...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

ericsaywhat
Member since Sep 12th 2006
151 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 08:53 PM

5. "Formal Announcement coming Wed. First single is streaming on Big Crown's..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-10-23 08:58 PM by ericsaywhat

Just got an email from them.
Site with pre-order and first single "Grateful" here:
https://bigcrownrecords.com/store/glorious-game-emabt/

Track List:

Grateful
Glorious Game feat. Kirby
I'm Still Somehow
Hollow Way
Protocol feat. Son Little
The Weather
That Girl
I Would Never
Miracle
Alone
Glorious Game (Reprise)
Alter Ego feat. Brainstory

Swipe:

When Leon Michels and El Michels Affair released their first record, Sounding Out The City, in 2005, it was hard to guess what was next for Michels and his then-introduced, now-patented “cinematic soul” sound. Now, four EMA studio albums and scores of tribute and remix projects later—all while producing for some of the biggest names in the industry—Michels has trademarked his sound, with each project taking audiences somewhere new and pushing the boundaries of what he is known for. The man is a river, not a lake and this time he takes his golden touch into the realm of hip-hop laying down a musical bed for one of the greatest to ever rhyme into a microphone: Black Thought of The Roots crew.
Releasing on Big Crown Records, the LP is called Glorious Game and it is a remarkable debut partnership in more ways than one. Michels provides his bottom-heavy, soul-tinged production for Black Thought who gives us some of the more personal and transparent verses we’ve ever heard from him. Michels and Black Thought have been in each other’s orbit for a while now. The two first met in the 2000s when Thought was first getting familiar with the contemporary soul scene. “Out of that whole world, Menahan Street Band was probably my favorite,” recalling the funk and soul group Michels was a founding member of back in 2007. Fast forward a few years and musicians from that collective—Dave Guy on trumpet and Ian Hendrickson-Smith on sax —are now full time players with The Roots. This connection eventually led Leon and Thought to doing a few fundraising events around NYC and Philly together. “Before long, Black Thought was coming around the studio and would jam with us from time to time,” Michels explains. “Then, fast forward to 2020 and COVID lockdowns, he just hit me up out of the blue, wanting me to send him stuff to write to. We both were looking to stay busy.”
Being that Black Thought is the co-founder and emcee for, hands down, the best live-band group in hip-hop. Michels took a decidedly different approach to this project and instead of sending recorded tracks of live compositions, he pulled out the sampler and sampled himself and some records from his collection. “I’m a big fan of soul music,” as if Michels has to remind us. “And part of hip-hop’s appeal to me has always been the sample-based production” For Glorious Game, Michels would make wholly composed and recorded soul songs in his studio, sample himself, then chop and/or loop up his sounds and create instrumentals for Black Thought. On some tracks he took a more traditional hip-hop approach, starting from samples of other people’s music but then adding live instrumentation on top. But for the most part, it’s him reinterpreting his own compositions into something new.
The result is an organic feel of loop-based tracks that breathe and fluctuate enough for Black Thought to flex on. “What I write about is determined by the equation of the producer’s energy and my energy,” Black Thought says. “It’s about where we meet.” So armed with Michels sampled and re-sampled soul cinematics, Black Thought rhymes through personal memories and distinctive perspectives, all dripping with visuals.
The first single titled “Grateful”—a thick, low-end banger with a haunting flute line—gives you a nice intro into how the record will go. Black Thought’s verses lay heavy in the way we’ve come to love: cadences that walk a line between street teacher and poet, explanation and experience, as he pays homage to what’s come before him and how it’s made him”. The title track “Glorious Game” with its unhurried bassline and bouncing drum track finds Black Thought rhyming double-time about the trials of fame and respect but also speaking to his gifts and his well established place in hip-hop. On “The Weather”, he paints a vivid portrait of growing up in Philly. You can almost see his Grandma’s house in your mind as he rides the tempo changes of the track flanked by ghostly background vocals.
“To me,” Black Thought says about Glorious Game, “these songs are like scenes from a film that is my life. That’s the way it evolved.” And with his pure lyrical skill on full display and Michels’ custom-made approach to making beats, this record is a bit of a rarity in today’s hip-hop atmosphere: there are no flashy guest features and no attempts to be on trend. “This is an effing rap record. He’s a storyteller; the point is to listen to the story. It’s not a verse-chorus, verse-chorus approach. Listen to what he has to say and the way he has to say it.”

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Wed Jan-11-23 10:19 AM

6. "Preordered a record and a shirt"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-11-23 10:20 AM by mista k5

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5464 posts
Wed Jan-11-23 03:20 PM

7. "4/14? is it just me...."
In response to Reply # 0

or is a 3-month album run-up just about the dumbest thing in 2023?
you got it, drop it
im not checking for singles, wake me when it's out
its gonna be AOTY material, but wake me when it's out

sersey
Member since Jan 03rd 2005
934 posts
Wed Jan-11-23 08:56 PM

8. "It’s likely the lead time for the Vinyl production"
In response to Reply # 7

Big Crown as a label pushes the vinyl format and tends to release on all formats at the same time.. Unlike most majors that launches on the streamers first and then crank out vinyl 6 months later.

Dhernsol
193 posts
Thu Jan-12-23 03:18 AM

9. "It coincides with El Michels Affair's Coachella performance on 4/16"
In response to Reply # 7

A lot of people may be familiar with Black Thought but Leon Michels is more of a producer's producer. EMA rarely goes on tour and their Coachella date is their second West Coast performance ever, so maybe Big Crown is building hype/anticipation.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Jan-12-23 06:24 PM

10. "Turntable Lab has an exclusive 'blue panther' vinyl "
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.turntablelab.com/collections/lab-of-the-moment/products/el-michels-affair-black-thought-glorious-game-blue-panther-colored-vinyl-vinyl-lp-turntable-lab-exclusive

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Sat Jan-14-23 05:59 PM

11. "Amazing news, I am not taking this run for granted "
In response to Reply # 0

It’s so great getting all these Thought projects since 2018 after barely hearing him rap for 6-7 years.

He is as sharp as ever and making great music. Nas too - no releases between 2012-2018, and now he’s prolific and sharp. Two of the best ever still making inspired music after 30 years. Incredible.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4872 posts
Sun Jan-15-23 12:25 AM

12. "^^ Definitely"
In response to Reply # 11

Well said

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Mon Jan-16-23 10:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "No question. We've been lucky with a lot of artists from our era."

Some have fallen off for sure. But these two, and a handful of others, are consistently making quality music or at the very least dropping a late-career gem or two somewhat-unexpectedly (relative to their age, at least) after all this time.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

nativesun07
Member since Mar 28th 2004
3620 posts
Sat Jan-21-23 08:38 PM

14. "it can be easy to get caught up in the "constant newness" of music..."

...these days! Its nice to be able to step back and see when artists are really doing something important

I should put that in a song

@nategoodness
www.nategoodness.com

The avatar is old. And, no, that hat was not a groovy style back then, either.

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Sun Jan-22-23 07:21 AM

15. "Amazing..."
In response to Reply # 0

Other than this project, is 'Tearz' the only released song they have together?

We're so spoilt with this so soon after Cheat Codes! Very excited.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Dhernsol
193 posts
Tue Jan-24-23 09:33 PM

16. "As of now, yes. But..."
In response to Reply # 15

In case anyone hasn't seen this before, I feel that now is a good time to share this little impromptu video of BT with several other members of El Michels Affair:

https://youtu.be/0wBlnApgrGk

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Wed Feb-01-23 11:24 AM

18. "Oh awesome..."
In response to Reply # 16

Is there a studio version with Thought on it? I'm pretty sure I have that Holy Hive album and he isn't present.

Thanks for posting it.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Dhernsol
193 posts
Tue Jan-31-23 11:16 PM

17. "Live Session (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

El Michels Affair & Black Thought - Grateful - Live at Diamond Mine

https://youtu.be/IgLf2TyuYXc

spidey
Charter member
13119 posts
Wed Feb-01-23 11:46 AM

19. "RE: Live Session (link)"
In response to Reply # 17

...so dope, a brother like Thought still doing it at this level, creatively, just can't say enough about his commitment to artistry and his craft. Best to ever touch a mic...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

las raises
14981 posts
Sun Feb-19-23 11:23 AM

20. "That Girl"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/T6C3ew8KdCs

mista k5
16412 posts
Tue Feb-21-23 11:44 AM

21. "I keep saying I don't want to hear singles"
In response to Reply # 20

Then I play it lol. It's dope but I'm trying to stay away from playing these until the album drops.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Mar-09-23 10:53 PM

22. "Glorious Game (the title track)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/dhr5MwqQiPU

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sat Mar-11-23 02:14 PM

23. "May 18th - NYC Album Release Party"
In response to Reply # 0

wish I was in New York

Dhernsol
193 posts
Mon Mar-20-23 08:47 AM

24. "Traveling there from the West Coast"
In response to Reply # 23

this is literally a dream collaboration of mine

DJR
18627 posts
Mon Mar-20-23 09:40 PM

25. "Damn, sold out. Wish I saw this sooner!"
In response to Reply # 23

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 12:46 PM

27. "me too"
In response to Reply # 25

just seeing this now.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

mista k5
16412 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 11:00 AM

26. "The album is really good"
In response to Reply # 0

Got the record in on Saturday and gave it a spin last night.

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 01:24 PM

28. "I think it is cause i have s hitty record play"
In response to Reply # 26

is your vinyl skipping at all?

mista k5
16412 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 01:39 PM

29. "nah"
In response to Reply # 28

I did see someone on reddit post that two tracks sounded bad on his copy and he had skipping issues.

ericsaywhat
Member since Sep 12th 2006
151 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 08:32 AM

30. "RE: I think it is cause i have s hitty record play"
In response to Reply # 28

I too am having it skip at the very end of the first track.

mista k5
16412 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 09:21 AM

31. "I did get a skip the second time I played it"
In response to Reply # 30

It was towards the beginning of the record but I don't remember if it was on the first track.

Dhernsol
193 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 12:05 PM

32. ""The Weather" and how it was inspired by Dilla's "Don't Cry""
In response to Reply # 0

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/black-thought-el-michels-glorious-game-interview

What was the entry point of “The Weather,” and did it always have the pitch-shifts?

Michels: You mean the speed-up part? That one was done live—we played the speed-up live. I heard that Dilla song on Donuts, and that was sort of the inspiration. The way sample speeds up so seamlessly—it doesn’t even feel like it’s speeding up, it just has this momentum that goes up. That was the last song that we did for the record. It was the very, very last session. Watching him record…that one totally blew my mind. It was essentially one take, and it ain’t easy to catch those tempo changes. Also, just the breath control of rapping for that entire song, no chorus, no break. It was definitely a moment where I was like, ‘Fuck, this guy is on some other shit.’

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 12:05 PM

33. "favorite track so far"
In response to Reply # 32

mista k5
16412 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 12:36 PM

34. "nice read"

This album is great. It's getting better with each listen.

Brew
24413 posts
Sat Apr-22-23 04:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
41. "By far my favorite song."

I love the whole thing but that song is ***beautiful***

Dhernsol
193 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 08:10 PM

45. "RE: By far my favorite song."
In response to Reply # 41

Same, the production and lyrics are equally stellar... it's dripping with this melancholy sense of nostalgia

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 03:11 PM

35. "Off first listen, very good"
In response to Reply # 0

Really like the production, BT excellent as always.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4872 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 04:15 PM

36. "excellent album again"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-14-23 04:16 PM by Stadiq

sheesh

This is phenomenal. Big fan of the different/laid back flows/delivery.

If I could tell my younger self we'd get THIS much solo Thought music? whew.

Very grateful. This, vol 2, Cheat Codes are pretty much perfect. Vol 3 and Vol 1 are great as well. Unreal.

Dhernsol
193 posts
Fri Apr-14-23 07:35 PM

37. "LIVE WEBCAST this Sunday!"
In response to Reply # 0

El Michels Affair is scheduled to play Coachella this Sunday at 2:55pm PST and it is being live streamed on YouTube. I'd say there's a good chance we'll see a guest appearance by Black Thought. Anyone know how to capture YouTube's livestream feed? We have two days to figure this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hdFg3rnOXI

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Apr-16-23 08:51 AM

38. "Protocol the early favorite for me"
In response to Reply # 0

On first listen, the album is really good. I expect it to grow on me.

DJR
18627 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 08:58 PM

39. "Hollow Way - Protocol - The Weather"
In response to Reply # 0

That stretch is the highlight to me right now. Still absorbing the album but it’s Thought so it can’t not be really good.

Brew
24413 posts
Sat Apr-22-23 04:38 PM

42. "Legit said this to my friend via text last nite:"
In response to Reply # 39

"I love the whole album but the trifecta of Hollow Way (beat switch !!), Protocol, and The Weather (TEMPO SWITCH !!!!!!!) knocked me right on my ass."

DJR
18627 posts
Mon Apr-24-23 06:59 PM

44. "Ha, it really stood out to me "
In response to Reply # 42

>"I love the whole album but the trifecta of Hollow Way (beat
>switch !!), Protocol, and The Weather (TEMPO SWITCH !!!!!!!)
>knocked me right on my ass."

Some of the other beats sound too similar to me, but maybe I just haven’t listened enough. But that stretch really caught my ear.

I can’t stop playing “The Weather”. Threw that one on my 2023 playlist and have had it on repeat.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Apr-18-23 11:03 PM

40. "Great album"
In response to Reply # 0

Upon first few listens, better than Cheat Codes.

Love the vibe of this album.

Brew
24413 posts
Sat Apr-22-23 04:41 PM

43. "Wow this is a terrific album."
In response to Reply # 0

Gonna be sitting with this for a long time I think. Lyrically I think he dug a little deeper than he has in the past, need to hone in on the lyrics more on subsequent listens but obviously the last track focuses on his sobriety.

But wow - this album is a revelation. Just beautifully consistent, got a nice adult feel to it, the music is beautiful and a perfect backdrop for Thought to do his thing. And do his thing he does, on a typically flawless Thought level. My god this man can write lyrics and flow.

I loved Cheat Codes but I like this better cuz it's clear that they recorded it during one set of sessions and not disjointed over many years, so the consistency and flow of the album is tremendous. Both great albums tho.

Excited to spend more time with this.

fontgangsta
5464 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 10:13 AM

46. "its good..."
In response to Reply # 0

i have to be careful when a genius(es) makes an album that isnt exactly what *I* wanted from them...Jimmy Lee by Raphael Saadiq was like that for me. Not the album i wanted from him at the time. But its soooo soo good. Took me a minute to get on his wavelength for it.

feel the same way here. IDK, his Streams albums have way more "bite" to them. The tunes are nice. The lyrics are sharp. But it doesnt really move me or grab me in any way.

And then reuniting Thought with a band thats not the Roots...as good as EMA is, this is why the Roots (?uest) is on another level sonically. EMA is great at what they do. But this is what they do. There are no curveballs. Nothing here keeps me on my toes. Which is kinda what I look to geniuses to do to me.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Apr-26-23 02:19 PM

48. "the Jimmy Lee album is great"
In response to Reply # 46

but much darker than anything else he's ever done.

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Tue Apr-25-23 05:41 PM

47. "RE: Black Thought & El Michels Affair - Glorious Game"
In response to Reply # 0

Play this and chest codes back to back and they go so well together.

fontgangsta
5464 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 07:36 AM

49. "IDK why they didnt just call that SOT.V4"
In response to Reply # 47

maybe too many features i guess, but IDK vol.3 had a few too

Brew
24413 posts
Thu Apr-27-23 08:32 AM

50. "Cuz they'd already announced their collab like a decade ago as "Cheat Co..."
In response to Reply # 49

Robert
Charter member
4112 posts
Fri Aug-25-23 12:35 PM

51. "damn this is hitting"
In response to Reply # 0

(i randomly downloaded after reading the pitchfork article)

Lobby The Lesson topic #3041071 Previous topic | Next topic