Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3041009

Subject: "My hip-hop trivia game is getting published " Previous topic | Next topic
seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Mon Jan-02-23 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"My hip-hop trivia game is getting published "

Shout out to Nick Has a Problem... who mentioned it in the other post about trimming albums to 10 songs. Thought I'd do an official post here.

https://www.okayplayer.com/culture/if-youre-a-hip-hop-super-nerd-this-new-trivia-card-game-is-for-you.html

The Questions Hip-Hop Trivia is definitely the by-product of the years (YEARS!) I spent on these here message boards. When I first started writing/hosting this as a live event in LA in 2018, I envisioned it as "The Lesson, but IRL."

Package design by our very own fwmj. 300 cards of hip-hop trivia written by yours truly, aimed to challenge and stimulate casual fans and Lessonheads alike.

Pre-order here: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/697193/the-questions-hip-hop-trivia-by-sean-kantrowitz/

Swipe below:

Created by Sean Kantrowitz, interactive card game The Questions Hip-Hop Trivia will release via Penguin Random House in January 2023.

The celebration of #HipHop50 will arrive early with The Questions Hip-Hop Trivia. Created by Grammy-nominated music and film/TV producer and self-proclaimed “hip-hop brainiac” Sean Kantrowitz, players can test their hip-hop knowledge with categories including “Liner Note Life,” “Check the Rhyme,” and “Diggin’ In the Crates.” Hip-hop purists and occasional listeners alike can prove their trivia mastery with questions referencing rap artists, TV shows, pop culture moments and more.

The Questions Hip-Hop began as an in-person trivia night hosted in Los Angeles in 2018. Gaining popularity from national music organizations like Dre Day LA and the J Dilla Foundation, The Questions Hip-Hop collaborated on events and customized games for their respective audiences. Although The Questions Hip-Hop planned to take the trivia game on the road in 2020, organizers were halted by the pandemic, pivoting to a livestream game show that hosted the likes of Questlove, Bun B, Just Blaze, Warren G, Phonte and more across 100+ episodes.

In 2022, the trivia game became a podcast, airing on Open Mike Eagle’s Stony Island Audio network. Kantrowitz exclusively spoke to Okayplayer about bringing the trivia game to handheld form.

“It was important to not only add new content for this project, but also use this major opportunity to bring to the traditional publishing world a fresh way of covering the full spectrum of hip-hop — offering book lovers and gamers who love hip-hop unique ways to celebrate,” Kantrowitz said.

Kantrowitz also partnered with designer FWMJ for the game’s packaging and design, along with artists TooFly, Edgar Garcia, and Jamar Cav who helped with other The Questions categories.

“Because this is a visual game in a way that we had never done before, I knew it had to look spectacular. I’ve been a huge fan of FWMJ since the Okayplayer days, where we both came up on those legendary, life-shaping message boards. Having him design the packaging as well as two of the category designs was a dream come true,” Kantrowitz said.

Celebrating the milestone anniversary of fifty years of hip-hop, Kantrowitz is “honored” to contribute to and celebrate the genre’s history.

“This is ultimately a collection of questions designed to serve both the seasoned hip-hop super-nerd as well as people who have a more casual relationship to hip-hop,” Kantrowitz added. “My hope is that after playing The Questions, everybody can walk away with a new piece of knowledge or perspective that they didn’t have before.”

The Questions Hip-Hop Trivia releases on January 24, 2023 via Penguin Random House.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why this joint named “The Questions” is so John Blazin?
Jan 02nd 2023
Appreciate that! n/m
Jan 03rd 2023
Congratulations!!!
Jan 02nd 2023
Thank you!
Jan 03rd 2023
Congratulations!!
Jan 02nd 2023
Thanks! And yes, it's really something
Jan 03rd 2023
Congrats man !!
Jan 03rd 2023
Featured on our new episode of the "Return to Zero" podcast
Feb 27th 2023

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Mon Jan-02-23 08:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why this joint named “The Questions” is so John Blazin?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-02-23 08:01 PM by DJR

Definitely ordering this. Congrats!

seandammit
6522 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 12:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Appreciate that! n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Mon Jan-02-23 08:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Congratulations!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes!!

seandammit
6522 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 12:26 AM

5. "Thank you!"
In response to Reply # 2

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Mon Jan-02-23 09:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Congratulations!!"
In response to Reply # 0

It's remarkable to think how people who gravitated here over the years have had quite a bit of success. Wishing you the best with the game launch. #thatsite

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

seandammit
6522 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 12:27 AM

6. "Thanks! And yes, it's really something "
In response to Reply # 3

I am constantly inspired and in awe of all the immense talent that comes from these boards. I say it all the time, I can trace almost every amazing thing that has happened in my career to some facet of something I picked up around here.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24375 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 10:37 AM

7. "Congrats man !!"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Mon Feb-27-23 06:40 PM

8. "Featured on our new episode of the "Return to Zero" podcast"
In response to Reply # 0

Me and fellow OKP Squeeg battle each other through the game. It was fun. Definitely glad I bought it.

Check out the episode:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/episode-80-the-questions-hip-hop-trivia-showdown-february-11-2023/

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Lobby The Lesson topic #3041009 Previous topic | Next topic