Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3040580

Subject: "D’Angelo Brown Sugar demos" Previous topic | Next topic
betelgeuse
Member since May 13th 2003
4750 posts
Tue Nov-22-22 04:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"D’Angelo Brown Sugar demos"

Came across this old Nile Rodgers tweet:
https://twitter.com/nilerodgers/status/366271792945438720?s=46&t=T0-B_AeBiKGskzVyLV6w2Q

Is this for real / does this really exist?

I know D’Angelo had said he wasn’t entirely satisfied with the Brown Sugar record and wanted it to sound more like the demos. What is known about these demos? Has anyone heard them and if so, what’s so special about them?

Curious to know. Thanks.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
WOW
Nov 28th 2022
its legit.
Nov 29th 2022

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Nov-28-22 06:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "WOW"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-28-22 06:36 PM by cbk

Seems legit from what I’ve read over the years in terms of songs included etc.

Yeah he always said the final product was too “polished” and “produced” for his liking. He preferred the 4 track demos. So did his brother (on some interview a while back). But I always thought it was perfect.

Fingers crossed to hear some of these demos for the 30 year anniversary of Brown Sugar.

EDIT: one thing, this one might be a later demo cuz Lady was done with Rafael Saadiq in Sac, and Brown Sugar was done with Ali. In other words some of the songs here were created after his first demo that contained the songs D made in his bedroom.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Nov-29-22 11:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "its legit. "
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Lobby The Lesson topic #3040580 Previous topic | Next topic