Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3039985

Subject: "Rappers that have gone in on this fuck ass country?" Previous topic | Next topic
DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18663 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 09:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rappers that have gone in on this fuck ass country?"

My opinion - there hasn’t been nearly enough of it in recent years.

Other than YG/Nipsey, who has really shit on Trump or any of his cronies like that? Eminem has gone hard and Cube made a song. Sean Boog went hard on “What’s The Deal?” and had a line on “The Return” on Khrysis’ album. Anyone else? Do the younger rappers say anything?

Thinking back in the 90s with Lauryn’s “Newt Gingrich sucks DICK” and Pac, Cube, Chuck, etc….I’ve been disappointed that there hasn’t been a lot of music about this fuck ass country in the last 6 years. Or has there and I’ve missed it? Post it here if I have. Thanks.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I kinda don't want them to
Oct 09th 2022
RE: I kinda don't want them to
Oct 09th 2022
You have a point
Oct 09th 2022
Yeah, I remember Kendrick’s
Oct 10th 2022
Does being anti-police count?
Oct 10th 2022
Yup - Conway had a good verse on “Outside”
Oct 10th 2022
We need more Paris
Oct 10th 2022
RE: Rappers that have gone in on this fuck ass country?
Oct 10th 2022
Their messages are subverted
Oct 13th 2022
That’s interesting
Oct 13th 2022
      Exactly depending on message and words used your video might not only be...
Oct 15th 2022
Vic Mensa - No More Tear Drops from 2020 fits IMO.
Oct 16th 2022

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1824 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I kinda don't want them to"
In response to Reply # 0

In the social media generation "rappers don't like me" is literally worth votes in just about all the parts of the country where votes make a difference in the outcome of the election.

Musically I have no problems with it, but it really doesn't add anything for me outside of dope it sounds in the rhyme. I'm in a mode where I'd rather hear a rapper give props to something positive instead of attack something negative.

Nowadays we really only strengthen the things to which we give our attention.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

DJR
18663 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 10:31 PM

2. "RE: I kinda don't want them to"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Oct-09-22 10:32 PM by DJR

>In the social media generation "rappers don't like me" is
>literally worth votes in just about all the parts of the
>country where votes make a difference in the outcome of the
>election.

Hmmm…. Is it though? They’re propping up Kanye now. They HATED him when the Taylor Swift thing happened. They will use anyone that allows them to. How is “rappers don’t like me” worth anything for them now? It’s not 1992. Todays 50/60 year olds grew up knowing of Ice Cube. Rap is basically default pop music. You can’t run on rap
Music being “bad”. The fuckass small town Republican mayor’s kids listen to nothing but rap….and probably assume they’re Republican too because they don’t say that they’re not.

>Musically I have no problems with it, but it really doesn't
>add anything for me outside of dope it sounds in the rhyme.
>I'm in a mode where I'd rather hear a rapper give props to
>something positive instead of attack something negative.

It’s just…..so much music. There’s room for it all. I wouldn’t mind if someone would scratch that itch. Maybe they are? Partially why I made the post….,I listen to a lot, but there’s no way to be up on everything.

>Nowadays we really only strengthen the things to which we give
>our attention.

Interesting thought. I think I see where you’re coming from. Think it’s imperative to give attention to these issues right now though.

* Which reminds me, Big Sant did that “Turn it Blue” song(written by Phonte) for Georgia before the 2020 election. Didn’t mean to leave that out.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4906 posts
Sun Oct-09-22 11:17 PM

3. "You have a point"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Oct-09-22 11:17 PM by Stadiq

Every example I can think of is older than 6 years ago.

Maybe Kendrick alluded to some stuff on DAMN...but not outright. There are others who flirt with it...but not in your face.

Several years ago I would have said shit like POS We Don't Even Live HEre and Mick Jenkins "Treat Me Caucasian" but, again, those dudes aren't/weren't BIG and this was years ago.

I would have said Killer Mike a few years ago but we recently found out his raps are straight up fantasy shit...can't be spitting about revolution then cry on TV about protesters next to the Mayor and shit. A fucking disappointment. About as authentic as Rick Ross.

>My opinion - there hasn’t been nearly enough of it in
>recent years.

I agree now that you mention it.

>
>Other than YG/Nipsey, who has really shit on Trump or any of
>his cronies like that? Eminem has gone hard and Cube made a
>song. Sean Boog went hard on “What’s The Deal?” and
>had a line on “The Return” on Khrysis’ album. Anyone
>else? Do the younger rappers say anything?
>
>Thinking back in the 90s with Lauryn’s “Newt Gingrich
>sucks DICK” and Pac, Cube, Chuck, etc….

Nah nothing like those dudes. If there are, they definitely aren't nearly as big as them.

Cornell West Theory/Tim Hicks X The Dirty Church/ Let The Dirt Say Amen have been consistent...but not big at all.

DJR
18663 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 01:41 PM

5. "Yeah, I remember Kendrick’s"
In response to Reply # 3

and also Tribe on their last album addressed a lot of it.

But frankly things have predictably gotten way worse and crazier since ‘16, and I just haven’t heard a whole lot about it in the music.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1824 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 08:36 AM

4. "Does being anti-police count?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think hip hop always has been and remains pretty anti police. Not really calling out particular politicians by name so much nowadays though.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

DJR
18663 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 01:41 PM

6. "Yup - Conway had a good verse on “Outside”"
In response to Reply # 4

addressing the George Floyd situation.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10987 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "We need more Paris"
In response to Reply # 0

He been against everything since The Devil Made Me Do It

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

spidey
Charter member
13133 posts
Mon Oct-10-22 04:58 PM

8. "RE: Rappers that have gone in on this fuck ass country?"
In response to Reply # 0

Next to none, lack of heart and others just don't care...new generation, give them the newest I-phone, and selfie filters, and their good...lol...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Oct-13-22 08:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Their messages are subverted"
In response to Reply # 0

. I put out a song called Fire Next Time and a particular social media outlet refused to accept payment for promoting music due to its message.

Most recently this year released a song called D.A.R.E. program failed. We out here but social media will subvert your message.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

DJR
18663 posts
Thu Oct-13-22 03:51 PM

10. "That’s interesting "
In response to Reply # 9

So I was thinking how with record labels being less of a factor now in being able to release music, that it might be easier to say what you want to say.

But social media and streaming services have to be on board too. I wonder if these services have gotten stricter on what they allow on their services in recent years? For example, I know that FDT by Nipsey and YG has several lines edited out on Spotify now. And this is on the “unedited” version of the song. I’m pretty sure that song didn’t used to be edited as heavily on there.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sat Oct-15-22 12:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Exactly depending on message and words used your video might not only be..."
In response to Reply # 10

But banned.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sun Oct-16-22 01:36 PM

12. "Vic Mensa - No More Tear Drops from 2020 fits IMO."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAG8V5cQ25g

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Lobby The Lesson topic #3039985 Previous topic | Next topic