Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3039868

Subject: "Double post. Outkast / 8Ball MJG" Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Sep-29-22 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Double post. Outkast / 8Ball MJG"

What was their show like before the Stankonia era?

I would have liked to have seen them live in the ATLiens/Aquemini eras.

I remember in an interview years ago when they were still making music Big Boi saying something like they make 30 tracks and 15 make the cut for the album and they are just sittin on it. You think those tracks will ever see the day of light? Would you be intersted in hearing said tracks?

They always give props to Souls/Hiero for the influence. I def didn't hear it when they first came out. Did you? I even read the Source review of Southerplayalistic and the reviewer saying they sounded a little too much like Hiero for their comfort. Did you pick up on that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

8Ball & MJG. One of my fav groups. They are better than UGK to me.

1st heard them in 93 in college. The Comin Out Hard album. Pimps was my fav track on there.

Any of yall ever been to any of their shows? What you think of their set? What era did you seen them in?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I didn't see them until later in their album run.
Sep 29th 2022
I don't know how you can listen to Player's Ball and not hear Hiero
Oct 01st 2022

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Thu Sep-29-22 09:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I didn't see them until later in their album run."
In response to Reply # 0

always enjoyed their shows.

I doubt many of the vault tracks are every heard. not sure they can make money by releasing them. they're not likely to do any more shows or anything else to promote Kast music.

my take on the Hiero (tribe too) influence was less about sounding like either of those groups, but the carving of your own style of music. that influence was more about being unique musically. can't say I 'heard' hiero in Outkast.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sat Oct-01-22 06:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't know how you can listen to Player's Ball and not hear Hiero"
In response to Reply # 0

you can definitely hear the Souls/Casual influence on that one, Big Boi's verse is 100% Hiero

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Lobby The Lesson topic #3039868 Previous topic | Next topic