Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3039507

Subject: "N.O.R.E. Blames Roots Video for Dividing Hip-Hop (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Thee Phantom
Member since Jul 18th 2005
2775 posts
Sat Sep-10-22 08:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"N.O.R.E. Blames Roots Video for Dividing Hip-Hop (Swipe)"

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2022/09/nore-music-video-divided-hip-hop/

Today (September 9), Drink Champs released its long-awaited interview with Black Star and Dave Chappelle. Recorded at Dave Chappelle’s Yellow Springs, Ohio garage space, the interview covers the release of Black Star’s 2022 album No Fear Of Time, and more. In the last 15 minutes, N.O.R.E. brings up a November 1999 Source magazine cover that featured Mos Def, Black Thought, and Pharoahe Monch. The cover line was “The Over & Under ,” featuring two Rawkus Records artist who released Black On Both Sides and Internal Affairs that year, respectively. Black Thought and his band The Roots had dropped the Grammy-nominated Things Fall Apart that same year.

Referring to the Source cover, N.O.R.E. begins, “This is backpack…” Yasiin Bey, as Mos Def now goes by, reacts to the comment with audible skepticism. N.O.R.E. continues, “Let me tell you what the outsiders looking in were saying: ‘Backpack Hip-Hop is at the forefront now.'” Yasiin shrugs, “I guess.” Then, the Brooklyn, New Yorker clarifies, “It was that people came up with to try and like . I get where people are coming from, but it never stuck because it didn’t have any gravity to it.” Talib Kweli says that backpacks went beyond fashion statements or subculture identities. “It was a very practical New York City thing,” he says, recalls MTA treks from Flatbush, Brooklyn to parties in Manhattan. Yasiin quotes The Notorious B.I.G.’s “Party & Bullsh*t” to assert that stick-up kids and gangstas also sported nap-sacks. Kweli points to Grand Puba, the Brand Nubian MC who was among Hip-Hop’s most influential fashion figures during the early 1990s.

Here, Noreaga lays down a stronger opinion. “Let me tell you where backpacks became frowned upon. Backpacks and gangsta culture . It was one video.” N.O.R.E. begins singing The Roots’ 1996 Illadelph Halflife single “What They Do.” N.O.R.E. alleges that the video, directed by Charles Stone III (and embedded below), created a division line. “It separated and gangsta .” “That sounds personal,” responds Kweli, who worked with the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania band (as did Yasiin Bey) on 2008’s Rising Down.

N.O.R.E. continues, “You know what did? Everything that represented gangsta, The Roots had dissed at that moment. I feel mad Hip-Hop right now.” Dave Chappelle chimes in, “No, N.O.R.E. Let me play some outside-baseball: I’m not a rapper; I’m just guessing: whoever got the most b*tches wins. Gangsta ni**as had b*tches.” Chappelle adds that he loves The Roots video N.O.R.E. is referring to. “It was clever, but there was more b*tches at the Biggie show than there was at The Roots one.” Noreaga adds, “More particularly, there’s more b*tches at the Nas show.” The two men then debate the chronology of Illmatic and Illadelph Halflife.

20 Years Later, The Roots Continue to Do What They Do Best: Shine For Hip-Hop (Video)

N.O.R.E. adds that Nas took The Roots’ commentary personally. “I remember me and Nas having a meeting, and him saying, ‘That is about me.’ I’m saying, ‘You’re bugging, son; this is not about you at all!’ But remember , when they’re chasing the rapper through In the projects—not Queensbridge, any projects in America. Every projects looks the same. I remember that, that was the time…” N.O.R.E. is referencing Nas’ artwork on his first two albums, as well as imagery from his own early visuals. Chappelle interjects with a joke, “That was a long grudge, ni**a. I can’t believe that you still have trauma over that ‘What They Do’ video. F*ck them backpack ni**as; cut that out, N.O.R.E.'”

Notably, in a 2011 interview with Pitchfork‘s Ryan Dombal, The Roots’ Questlove confirmed that the music video upset Biggie Smalls. “Keep in mind that this is on the heels of Biggie telling The Source how he had been the biggest Roots fan and took offense to our ‘What They Do’ video, which mocked Biggie’s ‘One More Chance’ video. Listen, I hate videos. I’m meticulous on everything from cover art, fonts, productions, mixing. But when it comes to videos, I just feel so defeated. I don’t pay attention. I slept most of the time they filmed ‘What They Do.’ I really didn’t have a clue that we were mocking Biggie. And when we saw the final product, we thought, ‘Okay, that’s silly, go with it.’ didn’t like that one bit, boy. I felt horrible that he thought we were even coming at him like that.” Notably, The Roots were playing on a concept that De La Soul used three years earlier on “Ego Trippin’ (Part Two).”

N.O.R.E. and his guests then reference Kanye’s comments from 2021’s Drink Champs interview. “I’m sorry to all the backpack community, due to the fact that I was from the streets but I never killed anybody, it was just easier for me to pose like a backpacker, but I actually really love street ni**as,” West said in an interview that sent shots to Talib Kweli, Common, and John Legend, among others. The Drink Champs hosts reveal that members of Boot Camp Clik wanted to be on the platform to respond to disparaging remarks that they felt were aimed at them.

Kweli, who has worked with Duck Down Music, says ‘Ye was referring to him, not Black Moon’s Buckshot. Talib uses the point to mention that Black Moon sported backpacks in their 1993 “Who Got Da Props?” video, helping galvanize a trend—that was both Hip-Hop savvy, and street-savvy. “That’s why they felt that way,” adds DJ EFN.

IG: @illharmonic.orchestra
Youtube: www.youtube.com/theephantom

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
random aside: this sort of blog post
Sep 10th 2022
First.. the backpack style comes from PUBA..
Sep 12th 2022
RE: First.. the backpack style comes from PUBA..
Sep 14th 2022
Basically Rappers Are Still Pissed At The "What They Do" Video
Sep 14th 2022
I think Biggie was mad at the Roots for the video as well..
Sep 15th 2022

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat Sep-10-22 12:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "random aside: this sort of blog post"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Sep-10-22 12:05 PM by thebigfunk

symbolizes one of the worst effects of the internet on music journalism, imo.

it is literally just a line-by-line recap of a portion of a podcast. a transcript would not look very different. and there are two or three short paragraphs that are line-by-line recaps of *other* media related to the topic. the post could have been three lines and it would not miss anything.

on top of that, the conversation that is being repeated verbatim sounds really shallow to begin with, lol -- so why amplify it?

edit to add: even the headline is terrible and clickbait-ish. at this point, most music blogs/media could disappear and i'm not sure there would be much to mourn. /rant

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Sep-12-22 08:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "First.. the backpack style comes from PUBA.."
In response to Reply # 0

...2nd ..Nore and Kanye both say dumb shit VERY often ..when they say dumb shit, it doesn't need deep analysis

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Wed Sep-14-22 05:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: First.. the backpack style comes from PUBA.."
In response to Reply # 2

Nore, corndog status at this point...annoyingly dumb...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Sep-14-22 11:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Basically Rappers Are Still Pissed At The "What They Do" Video"
In response to Reply # 0

It's so damn lame for any rapper to be pissed about the "What They Do" video when. it was so many others who have never seen the video, anyway it's a shame none of these rappers never really paid attention to the damn lyrics of the song when they album dropped but when they decided to make a video later on, now they they think the song is about them...smh, c'mon.

It's seems more like in the back of their minds they know they were guilty of posing & being fake for so many years in their music & their videos and got mad when a group they liked clowned them for it in a video without really taking shots at any one person when in fact The Roots wasn't taking shots at anyone in particular.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Sep-15-22 11:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I think Biggie was mad at the Roots for the video as well.."
In response to Reply # 4

...I remember hearing an interview (Questlove maybe?) that Big was hurt by the video and stuff De La was saying since he was a big fan

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Lobby The Lesson topic #3039507 Previous topic | Next topic