Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3039348

Subject: "I think this may be the end period of rap music" Previous topic | Next topic
OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 08:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I think this may be the end period of rap music"

It's gotten out of control. Just look at the names these cats are calling themselves. The music is just bad. It's a wrap. All the good stuff is underground and getting minimal shine outside of the net. 4 decades was a great run though. Unfortunately...it's gotten overrun.

https://youtu.be/yx2piPUudlE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I think this may be the end period of rap music
Aug 30th 2022
Aug 30th 2022
Uh...people got to say something...so it will continue
Aug 30th 2022
you can find whatever music you want...its on you in this climate
Aug 31st 2022
Outside of Kendrick, I don't really check for new artists
Aug 31st 2022
adrock explaining how young rappers never cared and shouldn't care
Aug 31st 2022
There’s so much good music out there
Aug 31st 2022
Adult Contemporary Hip-Hop Is About to Be a Thing
Aug 31st 2022
it's actually pretty vibrant
Aug 31st 2022
Nope. It's just changing and you're not.
Sep 01st 2022
No no no
Sep 02nd 2022
Hip-Hop is so broad that there will never ne an "end" period
Sep 01st 2022
This is an awful take. There are plenty of good emcees left
Sep 02nd 2022
RE: This is an awful take. There are plenty of good emcees left
Sep 02nd 2022
I’ll forget some but….
Sep 02nd 2022
Sep 02nd 2022
Popular rap been mostly trash since ringtone rap
Sep 02nd 2022
      I'm thinking deep about this
Sep 02nd 2022
           why focus on the bullshit and not focus on some of the shit you like?
Sep 02nd 2022
                RE: why focus on the bullshit and not focus on some of the shit you like...
Sep 02nd 2022
Sep 02nd 2022

OKdamn
1314 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 08:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: I think this may be the end period of rap music"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/D2nyu8d7Sq0

OKdamn
1314 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 08:18 PM

2. "RE: I think this may be the end period of rap music"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/38vMO6eE-UY

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue Aug-30-22 09:11 PM

3. "Uh...people got to say something...so it will continue"
In response to Reply # 0

Hopefully the De La Soul type demographic (social status-wise, not age wise) will once again do what they should be doing.

Looking at the state of the Kodak Black demographic, uh....

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed Aug-31-22 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "you can find whatever music you want...its on you in this climate"
In response to Reply # 0

there are so many branches from what you might like that it is beyond comprehension
im sorry you are not being catered to right now....but the music is out there

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Aug-31-22 04:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Outside of Kendrick, I don't really check for new artists"
In response to Reply # 0

But I think it's anti-hip hop to think that the music should appeal to people close to 50 years old. Hip hop is anti-traditional music, and it really shouldn't appeal to us because our lives and values and tastes are (or should) be different than a 20-year-old.

I don't know how old you are, but I think most folks here are at least 35. Whether we want to admit it or not, but we're the same ages our parents were when they told us hip-hop isn't real music. The music just isn't for us, like it was when we were coming of age.

As far as the music out now by new artists, like a lot of people here I wish there was more diversity of styles available, especially in the mainstream. And innovation both musically and in terms of lyricism.

But there are female rappers killing it now, male artists talking about their lives with a vulnerability that our generation didn't, and a lot of producers and MC's reaching generational levels of wealth to change the arc of their families. Like others say, there is quality music out there. And even if there isn't, we've got 30 years of music to go back and revisit or even discover music from an age we overlooked.

*goes back to listen to Aquemini for the thousandth time*

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

FunkyBoss
Member since Aug 31st 2002
1198 posts
Wed Aug-31-22 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "adrock explaining how young rappers never cared and shouldn't care"
In response to Reply # 0

about older rappers, which by extension means not caring about the older audience

https://youtu.be/23ZlUOeiCqo?t=420

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Wed Aug-31-22 06:29 PM

7. "There’s so much good music out there"
In response to Reply # 0

i have a hard time giving albums enough listens.

I have no idea who those people you’re posting about, and I don’t need to. Zero reason for me to know or care what the kids are listening to, really. I’m busy listening to whatever I want, whenever I want.

Thee Phantom
Member since Jul 18th 2005
2775 posts
Wed Aug-31-22 06:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Adult Contemporary Hip-Hop Is About to Be a Thing"
In response to Reply # 0

The 35-55 demographic is one of the largest online purchasing demographics in the US and most likely the world.

They're the news lining up and filling stadiums for "Old School" concerts.

They aren't being Marketed to for New Music.

They're STILL ALIVE!

IG: @illharmonic.orchestra
Youtube: www.youtube.com/theephantom

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Wed Aug-31-22 08:07 PM

9. "it's actually pretty vibrant"
In response to Reply # 0

For a genre as old as it is, it has both thriving new sounds/subgenres, current artists that carry a solid respect for the foundations without sounding like pure karaoke, and what I think is a well-distributed range of visibility (from obscure lo-fi to the biggest artists and everything in between).

"underground" doesn't really work as a descriptor anymore because "mainstream" doesn't either. Apart from a few festivals/playlists, you don't have a roster of crazy big, recognizable-everywhere artists --- and that's just not specific to hip hop. What you do have is a a lot of folks who turn in dependable streaming numbers and get love across a range of sites, from big to small.

There's tons of stuff released weekly that would get plenty of praise circa 2001 OKP. The mainstream wasn't popping much back then either. If anything, the "underground" (was is more popular than it ever was) is now bigger in range and quantity than in decades past. These are all signs to me that the genre's doing pretty well.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Thu Sep-01-22 12:28 PM

10. "Nope. It's just changing and you're not. "
In response to Reply # 0

Happens to most people.

Happened to your grandparents, your parents and you. Will happen to your children and grandchildren.

People for the most part favor the music of their youth and of a specific time period.

World will keep on spinning, and the music will still be here. Just find more of what you like and keep it moving.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

OKdamn
1314 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 09:24 AM

14. "No no no"
In response to Reply # 10

That stuff these kids are making is terrible.

Have you seen How High 2? Watch that and tell me there isn't something completely weird going on with these new cats. I ain't 60. I get the "you just getting old" argument but it's worse than that.

I know there's still great stuff out there like Raz Fresco and Ohbliv ..Griselda...Planet Asia...Muggs...but the stuff getting shine is garbage.

I'm not a complete grump. Some of the new class is entertaining. I like LPD Pooty "Batman" for instance. I'm talking about the moron music I hear at the gas station lol..

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Sep-01-22 02:23 PM

11. "Hip-Hop is so broad that there will never ne an "end" period"
In response to Reply # 0

There's so much music out there that it's completely possible to ignore shit by the artists you don't like or are not the target audience for, and still be drowning in quality releases.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 01:09 AM

12. "This is an awful take. There are plenty of good emcees left"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-02-22 01:16 AM by spirit

The most popular rappers of the moment (Drake, Kendrick and Cole) have the ability to rap well (whether they choose to lean more on singing (Drake) or dwell on content I could care less about (Cole) is separate from whether they can technically rap.

Cordae
Coast Contra
Gibbs
JID
Griselda (I’m not as much of a fan as others)

People who can rap are out there touring regularly and racking up millions of views/plays on DSPs

Heck I was just in NYC last weekend and Flex spent damn near 20 minutes spinning a new Public Enemy-inspired Lox song (Terminator Lox)

A lot of great rap was “underground” in the 80s (and, well, always) if you define underground as not getting daytime radio play

And the underground is as vibrant as ever, pretty much loads of cats to find every week that you never heard of before. For example: https://youtu.be/tcot5IpkhHo

Also complaining about names in Hiphop is absurd when we most rap names are pretty hilarious out of context. If Ice T came out as a new artist in 2022, you would probably clown his name too.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

OKdamn
1314 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 09:39 AM

17. "RE: This is an awful take. There are plenty of good emcees left"
In response to Reply # 12

>The most popular rappers of the moment (Drake, Kendrick and
>Cole) have the ability to rap well (whether they choose to
>lean
>
>A lot of great rap was “underground” in the 80s (and,
>well, always) if you define underground as not getting daytime
>radio play
>
>And the underground is as vibrant as ever, pretty much loads
>of cats to find every week that you never heard of before. For
>example: https://youtu.be/tcot5IpkhHo
>
>Also complaining about names in Hiphop is absurd when we most
>rap names are pretty hilarious out of context. If Ice T came
>out as a new artist in 2022, you would probably clown his name
>too.
>

You right. I suppose our parents (the 60s and 70s youth) thought Prince and Snoop Doggy Dogg and Ice Cube were ridiculous. The music was GOOD tho. Even if it wasn't their tastes. I see what you're saying

DJR
18637 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 08:04 AM

13. "I’ll forget some but…."
In response to Reply # 0

All of these put out projects that I like enough to play multiple times, and I still want to play them many more. Some of these I play all the time:

Black Thought
Lupe Fiasco
Benny the Butcher
Conway the Machine
Lloyd Banks
Big KRIT
Phife Dawg
Rapper Big Pooh
Domo Genesis/Evidence
Roc Marciano/Alchemist
JID
Vince Staples
Joey Badass
The Musalini/Khrysis
Boldy James
Curren$y/Alchemist
Kendrick Lamar
Elzhi
Cypress Hill
Fly Anakin
Pusha T
DJ Premier
Sean Boog
Tab-One
Kno/Sadistik

There’s others that others are really into to where I’d like to play them more to see if they grow on me:
Billy Woods
Mach Hommy
Black Star
Your Old Droog
Nicholas Craven

Probably many others.

Then there’s probably a bunch more that I’m not even aware of yet, that I might find out about down the road.

And that’s just what had interested me. Somebody else’s list may look entirely different.

OKdamn
1314 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 09:29 AM

15. "RE: I think this may be the end period of rap music"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-02-22 09:30 AM by OKdamn

See post 14. I know there's good stuff. I'm just bitching. I listen to all the underground stuff like Tha God Fahim..Estee Nack...Giallo Point...Sahdugold...etc Rap will never be dead. All I'm saying is there's something ugly going on on the surface. Lil Baby?? Cmon. They can't even come up with good names lol

DJR
18637 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 09:35 AM

16. "Popular rap been mostly trash since ringtone rap"
In response to Reply # 15

IMO. Maybe even before that.

OKdamn
1314 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 10:49 AM

19. "I'm thinking deep about this"
In response to Reply # 16
Fri Sep-02-22 10:55 AM by OKdamn

Maybe this is just what happens when things change and *I* don't like someone said.

I remember when Laffy Taffy and Walk It Out were the worst things ever ..eventually everybody got used to that kind of music and now it doesn't seem as bad.

This does happen with every generation. I'm sure the Commodores and other classic bands weren't feeling Jodeci (r &b groups weren't holding instruments anymore or dancing in sync)

Sinatra's era wasn't feeling the 50s music

The 50s crowd wasn't feeling weird rock and disco

Earth Wind and Fire crowd wasn't feeling electro and rap

Breakdancing heads weren't feeling 90s rap

90s heads like me weren't feeling Laffy Taffy

I get it..but I still think some of these new cats are making trash. But then you get into the *if people are buying trash then it's the people that are the problem, not the rappers* argument.

Oh well..I'll just stick to what I like and quit hating I guess. 😆

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 10:59 AM

20. "why focus on the bullshit and not focus on some of the shit you like?"
In response to Reply # 19

you listed stuff that you like up above that i never heard of....wouldnt that be more constructive and pleasurable to do?

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

OKdamn
1314 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 12:21 PM

21. "RE: why focus on the bullshit and not focus on some of the shit you like..."
In response to Reply # 20

I will do that but I'm still gonna hate these goofy ass rappers that aren't making good ol' coherent rap music.

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 10:40 AM

18. "RE: I think this may be the end period of rap music"
In response to Reply # 0

>It's gotten out of control. Just look at the names these cats
>are calling themselves. The music is just bad. It's a wrap.
>All the good stuff is underground and getting minimal shine
>outside of the net. 4 decades was a great run though.
>Unfortunately...it's gotten overrun.
>
>https://youtu.be/yx2piPUudlE

I'm amazing at ignoring/avoiding music that I'm almost sure I'm not going to like. So pretty much all of the out of work skrippa rappers, the Lil whoevers, and all of that? Yeah...I'm not even trying on most of that stuff unless someone I trust says 'HEY! This dude CAN rap..give him a shot'.

With that, I'm having a blast. And I'm missing out on some good stuff because of repeat listens of things I've given a chance.

I spent the last week listening to Black Thought/Danger Mouse again, Roc and Alc at least a few times, various recent Droog outings (I had missed YOD Stewart altogether), and I've been meaning to run those last few Nas albums back.

And if I know about an album before it comes out, I consider that not exactly 'underground'. Now sure, I'd love to see YOD on the Grammy's or something like that but it ain't like he's a complete unknown.

And the Griselda dudes are in some really high places considering the type of music they're dead serious about continuing to make.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3039348 Previous topic | Next topic