Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3039312

Subject: "Björk Explores Her Discography On New Podcast/New Album - spin" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Björk Explores Her Discography On New Podcast/New Album - spin"

https://pod.link/bjork

https://www.spin.com/2022/08/bjork-explores-her-discography-on-new-podcast-sonic-symbolism/

NEWS

Björk Explores Her Discography On New Podcast Sonic Symbolism

Project launches Sept. 1 with episodes on ‘Debut,’ ‘Post’ and ‘Homogenic.’

Written By Jonathan Cohen

| August 25, 2022

Bjork in Stockholm in 2019 (Photo by Santiago Felipe / Redferns)
Björk will dig deep into “the textures, timbres and emotional landscapes of each of her albums” as part of the new podcast Sonic Symbolism, which launches Sept. 1 with episodes on Debut, Post and Homogenic. Future album-by-album installments of the Talkhouse/Mailchimp Presents project will roll out weekly from there.

Sonic Symbolism consists of conversations between Björk and philosopher/writer Oddný Eir and musicologist Ásmundur Jónsson. Listeners can get a taste of what’s to come via this trailer.

https://pod.link/bjork

“When I get asked about the differences of the music of my albums, I find it quickest to use visual short cuts,” Björk says. “That’s kind of why my album covers are almost like homemade tarot cards. The image on the front might seem like just a visual moment, but for me it is simply describing the sound of it. Perhaps you can call it some sort of a sonic symbolism? Most of us go through phases in our lives that take roughly three years, and it is not a coincidence this is also how long it takes to make an album or a film. This podcast is an experiment to capture which moods, timbres and tempos were vibrating during each of these phases.”

Sonic Symbolism comes ahead of the fall release of Björk’s next album, Fossora, her first in five years. The first single is called “Atopos” and will be released in the days ahead.

--------------------=

https://www.spin.com/2022/08/bjork-details-organic-spacious-new-album-in-guardian-interview/

NEWS
Björk Details ‘Organic, Spacious’ New Album Featuring Her Children

‘Fossora’ will be released this fall

Written By Jonathan Cohen

| August 19, 2022

Björk has unveiled details of her first album in five years in a new interview with The Guardian. The project is titled Fossora (Latin for “digger”) and is expected to be released this fall. Björk’s children Sindri and Ísadóra sing on the album, as does serpentwithfeet, while the Indonesian group Gabber Modus Operandi is also featured.

Writes journalist Chal Ravens of Fossora, “on the cover, she is a glowing forest sprite, her fingertips fusing with the fantastic fungi under her hooves. Compared with the cloudy electronics of 2017’s Utopia, it is organic and spacious, earthbound rather than dreamy, and filled with warmth and breath. It is also a world of contrasts: the album’s two lodestones are bass clarinet and violent outbursts of gabber. There are moments of astonishing virtuosity and bewildering complexity and, like much of her recent music, a resistance to easy melody.”

Two songs are inspired by the 2018 death of Bjork’s mother, Hildur Rúna Hauksdóttir, while Gabber Modus Operandi injects a hardcore techno vibe into the album. Elsewhere, Fossora sports a sextet of bass clarinets, which Bjork says she wanted to sound “like Public Enemy, like duh-duh-duh-duh, like boxing.”

Fossora is the follow-up to 2017’s Utopia, which was nominated for the best alternative album Grammy. Bjork has been fairly active on the road this year after having not toured since 2019, and will play three shows in South America in November as part of Primavera Sound’s expansion to the region.

“As a singer-songwriter, my role is to express the journey of my body or my soul,” Bjork wrote on Twitter today. “Hopefully I’ll do that till I’m 85.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I love this chick, and that podcast sound interesting as hell
Aug 26th 2022
Landing on the Earth and Digging My Feet Into the Ground
Aug 31st 2022

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 09:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I love this chick, and that podcast sound interesting as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Aug-31-22 08:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Landing on the Earth and Digging My Feet Into the Ground"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-31-22 08:22 AM by c71

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bjork-fossora-album-art-1234584918/

New Album Is About ‘Landing on the Earth and Digging My Feet Into the Ground’

Icelandic singer also shares the LP's artwork and preorder details

BY EMILY ZEMLER

AUGUST 31, 2022

BJÖRK HAS REVEALED the cover artwork for her forthcoming LP, Fossora, along with a heart-felt missive about the album.

Writing on Instagram, the singer explained that “each album always starts with a feeling that I try to shape into sound.” She continued, “This time around the feeling was landing (after my last album Utopia, which was all island in the clouds element air and no bass) on the earth and digging my feet into the ground. It was also woven into how I experienced the ‘now’… this time around 7 billion of us did it together nesting in our homes quarantining being long enough in one place that we shot down roots.”

bjork

Verified

each album always starts with a feeling
that i try to shape into sound
this time around
the feeling was landing
( after my last album utopia which was all island in the clouds element air and no bass )
on the earth and digging my feet into the ground

it was also woven into how i experienced the "now"
this time around 7 billion of us did it together
nesting in our homes quarantining
being long enough in one place that we shot down roots

my new album "fossora" is about that
it is a word i made up
it is the feminine of fossore ( digger, delver, ditcher )
so in short it means "she who digs" ( into the ground )

so sonically it is about bass , heavy bottom-end ,
we have 6 bass clarinets and punchy sub

i would like to especially thank bergur þórisson and heba kadry , side project , el guincho , hamrahlíð choir , soraya nayyar , clarinet sextet murmuri , siggi string quartet ensemble , emilie nicolas , serpentwithfeet
viibra and last but not least : sindri and dóa .

visuals were made by viðar logi , james merry , m/m , nick knight , andy huang , edda , isshehungry , tomi , sayaka , sunna , sara and heimir

and my ever so loyal and magnificent team : derek , rosamary , catherine , chiara , hilma and móa

link to preorders in bio

credits :
cover creative direction by @bjork & @james.t.merry
photography/direction: @vidarlogi
dress and gloves: @jisoo_baik_
stockings: @gucci
stylist: @eddagud
makeup: @sunnabjorkmakeup
neckpiece, shoes, ring: @james.t.merry
hair stylist: @tomikono_wig
hair colour effect on wig: @sayaka_maruyama_
album cover shoot producer: @saranassim
production designer: @heimir_sverrisson @irmastudio_reykjavik
cgi photography and still retouching: @studio_private
design, typography and digital fungi: @mmparisdotcom
assistance : @joanlbert

Björk described the title as a “word I made up,” evoking the idea of “she who digs.” “So sonically it is about bass, heavy bottom-end,” she noted of the sound. “We have six bass clarinets and punchy sub.”

The album, announced earlier this month, marks Björk’s 10th LP. In a recent interview with The Guardian, she revealed that it was partially inspired by the 2018 death of her mother, Hildur Rúna Hauksdóttir. It features a collaboration with Serpentwithfeet, as well as backing vocals from Björk’s son, Sindri, and her daughter, Doa. It also includes contributions from Indonesian dance duo Gabber Modus Operandi.

Björk will also launch a podcast series, Björk: Sonic Symbolism, devoted entirely to her expansive catalog in September.

Fossora is available to preorder now.

https://bjork.lnk.to/fossora

Lobby The Lesson topic #3039312 Previous topic | Next topic