Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3039156

Subject: "Little Brother’s ‘The Listening’ Continues To Shape Hip-Hop - RS" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sat Aug-13-22 06:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Little Brother’s ‘The Listening’ Continues To Shape Hip-Hop - RS"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/little-brother-influence-1392279/

AUGUST 10, 2022 12:17PM ET

Nearly Twenty Years Later, Little Brother’s ‘The Listening’ Continues To Shape Hip-Hop

Kendrick Lamar and Drake are just two of the artists influenced by the North Carolina duo’s insightful, original way of sidestepping clichés

By WILL DUKES

When Drake stepped onstage to give his acceptance speech for the BMI Songwriter of the Year Award in 2011, one of the names he shouted out — along with his mom, Kanye West, and Andre 3000 — belonged to Phonte. The name of the rapper from the acclaimed North Carolina duo Little Brother probably wasn’t familiar to many of the fans who’d been suffering through a broadcast about music licensing just to see the emergent Canadian superstar. But the plaudit made sense. The melodic marriage of singing and rapping that Phonte had perfected eight years earlier on Little Brother’s 2003 debut, The Listening, is deeply entangled in Drake’s artistic DNA. It mattered that a heavyweight of Aubrey’s stature had taken the time to acknowledge a criminally underrated trailblazer. And now, as we approach The Listening‘s 20th anniversary next February, its influence still stands as a crucial model instructing today’s MCs on how to be more versatile and original.

Drake was perhaps Little Brother’s most prominent fan back then — he’d also recorded songs with them on his 2007 mixtape, Comeback Season — but he wasn’t the only bold-name MC from the next generation who owes a lot to the group. Kendrick Lamar, whose 2013 cut “Thanksgiving” featured Little Brother’s other half, Big Pooh, didn’t fully come into his own until he started making the kinds of ruminative songs that were very much in the vein of The Listening. Years later, he’s still finding new ways of exploring that style on songs like “Father Time” and “Purple Hearts” from his recently released Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers.

Little Brother’s far-reaching, trendsetting appeal wasn’t apparent to everyone in the early 2000s. At the time, after 50 Cent and G-Unit’s hostile takeover, rap had begun to feel as polarized as voters were over whether the U.S. should invade Iraq. Indie powerhouses like Rawkus and Def Jux catered to fans of unapologetically underground hip-hop, serving as alternatives to the blithely sadistic jingle of 50’s ubiquitous “Wanksta.” Little Brother were neither staunch subterranean agitators like other underground rappers, nor mainstream-sanctioned stars. Some listeners didn’t see them coming.

Mere months after Get Rich or Die Tryin’ debuted in February 2003, The Listening revivified an underserved audience. In New York City, beloved record shops like the now-defunct Greenwich Village institution Fat Beats — whose entryway was frequently crowded by CD-brandishing buskers who’d accost you, as you walked in, with “Yo, you listen to hip-hop?” — proudly displayed the album. It sold like hotcakes to fans who couldn’t get enough of Little Brother’s spirited boom-bap reinvention.

The LP was full of upbeat bars over in-house producer 9th Wonder’s sumptuous, soulful beats. Phonte and Big Pooh seemed to speak for all the regular dudes who were just looking for good vibes, with intelligent and irreverent perspectives on life. The Listening conveyed big red-black-and-green-wristband energy, but it was also simpatico with whatever energy the guy in a fitted and Timbs came into the function with just to mack on the ladies in sundresses. The album was fun and lighthearted and brimming with infectious Everyman appeal. This was proto-Black Twitter in miniature — a jokey Spaces room for the dial-up era. Little Brother let you emote about groupies and estranged family members at the same time as you snarked on the granola-munching herbs reciting bad poetry at the local coffee house.

Songs like “The Yo-Yo” highlighted Phonte’s lithe, jocular flow. Unlike other rappers at that time, he didn’t half-sing bars that sounded a little like cheesy Top 40 hooks — when Phonte sings, he sings. Nor did he bombard you with tortuous verbiage. Instead, he posted up with an easy delivery that stayed in the pocket. He poked fun at some of the hypocrisy associated with “Black righteousness,” pointing out that many overblown militants, for all their accusatory rhetoric, are basically there for the same thing as him: “Even though y’all niggas might not cuss like me/End of the night, y’all just trying to fuck like me.” He concludes by confessing that he’s not here for speeches and would, instead, rather listen to Trick Daddy.

“The Yo-Yo,” which earned Phonte a “Quotable of the Month” in The Source, was subversive in the way that it cross-examined the quandary of not exactly wanting to pick a side. He made that stance feel fun at a time when it seemed like no one — not the pop-friendly favorites or the underground heroes — was truly happy where they were. Jay-Z, who would work with 9th Wonder months later on his Black Album, famously rapped, “If lyrics sold, truth be told, I’d probably be lyrically Talib Kweli/Truthfully, I want to rhyme like Common Sense”; yet as the decade went on, both of those icons of alternative hip-hop would make tentative moves toward more commercial sounds.

The Listening resonated, especially, with a younger generation that was more comfortable assembling all of the moving parts of themselves. What Little Brother’s music really signaled was a kind of freedom from the uncomfortable compromises of the previous generation. One of the songs Kendrick Lamar is performing on his current tour is 2017’s “Humble” — a prime example of the newfound autonomy Little Brother celebrated. That vertiginous blend of impudence and gratitude is so indebted to the blueprint they mapped out on The Listening, it’s no stretch to say they made “Humble” possible.

“I like to think of ourselves as giving young rappers a look around the corner,” Phonte told Vulture in a 2019 interview about Little Brother’s legacy and impact. “Hopefully we can give a blueprint to show that you can mature, you can grow older, and you can be true to yourself but not be crotchety. There’s a way you can settle into that moment and still be dope and be profitable and have things to say.” With The Listening, Phonte, Big Pooh, and 9th Wonder made it cool to not be easily boxed in. Twenty years later, the culture is still all ears.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
No
Aug 13th 2022
RE: No
Aug 13th 2022
No, to you sir. Respectfully.
Aug 14th 2022
I think you went all the way absolute with it homie
Aug 14th 2022
RE: I think you went all the way absolute with it homie
Aug 14th 2022
RE: No
Feb 27th 2023
Visiting Durham, NC today...
Aug 14th 2022
home of black wall street
Aug 15th 2022
I saw LB in Durham last spring
Aug 16th 2022
Little Brother on 20 Years of ‘The Listening’ - RS swipe
Feb 25th 2023
Saw that, love that they’re getting their flowers
Feb 25th 2023
9th?
Feb 27th 2023
      It frustrates me to no end.
Feb 27th 2023
      If I remember correctly the last album initially involved 9th
Feb 28th 2023
           You're remembering correctly. That's what makes it even more frustrating...
Feb 28th 2023
           but they showed that 9th is superfluous at this point
Mar 26th 2023
           Yeah, as far as sequencing, skits, song writing and overall direction
Mar 26th 2023
           Yea it's nostalgia for sure.
Mar 28th 2023
           Here’s Scudda talking about where they stand, a bit
Mar 27th 2023
           And here’s Tay and Pooh speaking on it a bit…
Apr 20th 2023
           damn this is frustrating to learn
Mar 25th 2023
                Khrysis, Nottz, Black Milk, Focus…. Cheap beats?
Mar 25th 2023
      RE: 9th?
Mar 26th 2023
      RE: 9th is a narcissistic piece of shit
Apr 29th 2023
           Jeez.
May 01st 2023
                RE: Phonte and Pooh do
May 02nd 2023
                     RE: Phonte and Pooh do
May 04th 2023
                     RE: didn't read past 'no disrespect' off GP
May 04th 2023
                          RE: didn't read past 'no disrespect' off GP
May 04th 2023
                     I don't recall them calling him a "narcissistic piece of shit"
May 08th 2023
                          oh everything after 'narcissistic' was 100% me
May 14th 2023
                               RE: oh everything after 'narcissistic' was 100% me
May 15th 2023
                                    RE: oh everything after 'narcissistic' was 100% me
May 16th 2023
                                         www.betterhelp.com
May 18th 2023
RE: Little Brother’s ‘The Listening’ Continues To Shape Hip-Hop - ...
Feb 28th 2023
Seeing them tonight in SD for the first time ever
Mar 03rd 2023
Jumping in a Little Brother post for old times sake
Mar 04th 2023
Caught them last night in San Diego
Mar 04th 2023
Love it! I’m going to the Brooklyn show in 2 weeks
Mar 05th 2023
I'll be @ the Boston show. Can't wait.
Mar 06th 2023
      They killed it last nite.
Mar 17th 2023
      Yeah, they put on a great show
Mar 18th 2023
           Hell yea. Place exploded when Scudda jumped on stage.
Mar 20th 2023
                Ha yeah his Lovin It verse always goes off live, in my experience
Mar 20th 2023
                     Yea - he def has mic presence and charisma.
Mar 21st 2023
      Just noticed that in the show posters they're selling ..
Mar 21st 2023
           I got there early as hell to make sure I got one of those, lol
Mar 26th 2023
           Somehow i'm just now noticing that...
Mar 28th 2023
Brooklyn Show is Dope. Phonte is such a showman.
Mar 20th 2023
      “That’s not V.I.P., that’s O.L.D”
Mar 20th 2023
           he said that in Boston and I was dying...
Mar 26th 2023
Boston show was great!
Apr 02nd 2023
Yeah, Chaundon was at the merch table
Apr 02nd 2023
Shouts to FWMJ - LB talking about The Listening album cover
Apr 20th 2023
taking it a step further..
May 08th 2023

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4375 posts
Sat Aug-13-22 09:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "No"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-13-22 10:02 PM by javi222

Jurassic 5, People Under The Stairs, Freestyle Fellowship, Latyrx, Abstract Tribe Unique etc. were doing hip hop music that couldn’t be pigeonholed way before Little Brother came up…

Disagree with the statement implying that Phonte perfected rapping/singing. I am a fan but he is not even close to Myka 9 or Abstract Rude.

Newer generation such as Chance, Denzel Curry etc. reference Freestyle Fellowship to expanding their perception of hip hop. Little Brother is not the sole contributor to today’s hip hop .. lol

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Sat Aug-13-22 10:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: No"
In response to Reply # 1

>Jurassic 5, People Under The Stairs, Freestyle Fellowship,
>Latyrx, Abstract Tribe Unique etc. were doing hip hop music
>that couldn’t be pigeonholed way before Little Brother came
>up…

Did Drake or Kanye(or anyone like that) name check most of them though?

>Disagree with the statement implying that Phonte perfected
>rapping/singing. I am a fan but he is not even close to Myka 9
>or Abstract Rude.

Do they have a rap career and a singing career?

>Newer generation such as Chance, Denzel Curry etc. reference
>Freestyle Fellowship to expanding their perception of hip hop.
>Little Brother is not the sole contributor to today’s hip
>hop .. lol

Certainly not “sole”. I don’t think that was the point.

Seems they were ahead of their time in that they recorded with their own setup, 9th making beats on a computer aspects too. And going Indy.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Sun Aug-14-22 08:57 AM

3. "No, to you sir. Respectfully."
In response to Reply # 1

The article does NOT suggest that little brother is the sole inspiration for unique hip hop. I don't think that is the takeaway. I think the takeaway is that they were very influential to specific artists and that that specific influence can be seen in modern music as a whole.

Overall, this group with relatively small commercial impact had a relatively large cultural impact. That's the takeaway. What's wrong with that? Those dudes deserve their flowers.

If even MORE people deserve some flowers about their impact, why not give them theirs too. You don't need to downplay little brother and their impact to recognize others. It's not binary.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Sun Aug-14-22 12:51 PM

4. "I think you went all the way absolute with it homie"
In response to Reply # 1

This article shouldn't be misconstrued to convey that LB is modern Hip-Hop's sole influencer

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4375 posts
Sun Aug-14-22 07:45 PM

5. "RE: I think you went all the way absolute with it homie"
In response to Reply # 4

To paraphrase certain language of this article…LB Made it cool to not be boxed in as neither conscious or mainstream, The Listening is the guide for today’s MCs on being original and versatile, Phonte perfected singing and rapping, LB’s trendsetting influence, blueprint of making relatable everyday raps etc.…

LB deserves the respect and praise, but this is hyperbolic nonsense.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Feb-27-23 04:51 PM

12. "RE: No"
In response to Reply # 1

I agree, and it's actually kind of sad. Sooooo many other acts that took the stance of pushing boundaries/off shoots of boom bap, and of that ilk...no shade on LB, it's just they got some huge co-signs at the time, while a lot of other cats didn't. Two off the dome, J-Live and Blueprint...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Sun Aug-14-22 08:43 PM

6. "Visiting Durham, NC today..."
In response to Reply # 0

Cued up the Listening on Spotify.

It hits different.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Mon Aug-15-22 03:07 PM

7. "home of black wall street"
In response to Reply # 6

DJR
18637 posts
Tue Aug-16-22 09:17 PM

8. "I saw LB in Durham last spring "
In response to Reply # 6

Though it wasn’t much of a hip hop/LB crowd as Durham natives Sylvan Esso were the headliner. Still was great to see LB in the city they started in and they put on a hell of a show.

Related - I’m seeing Pooh in Raleigh in a couple weeks, and they’re advertising a Justus League reunion. I’ve seen Median, LEGACY, EA Floe, Chaundon, Sean Boog, and Cesar Comanche confirmed. Hopefully Phonte too!

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sat Feb-25-23 08:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Little Brother on 20 Years of ‘The Listening’ - RS swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/little-brother-the-listening-big-pooh-phonte-9th-wonder-1234685925/

WHATEVER THEY SAY

‘I’ll Rap Your F-cking Ass Under the Table’: Little Brother on 20 Years of ‘The Listening’

Phonte and Big Pooh go deep on their classic 2003 debut, their upcoming documentary, and that time Katt Williams offered them 30K out of nowhere

BY ANDRE GEE

FEBRUARY 24, 2023

TOMORROW WILL MARK the 20th anniversary of The Listening, the debut album by North Carolina group Little Brother. The 18-track project is a charismatic lyrical exercise that sounds as fresh today as it did when the trio of 9th Wonder, Phonte, and Big Pooh dropped it on ABB Records. The trio, now a duo consisting of Phonte and Pooh, met on the campus of North Carolina Central University and quickly jelled to create a canonical work that’s been lauded by artists including Kendrick Lamar, Drake, and most colorfully, Doja Cat.

Their name references being a stylistic “little brother” to the Native Tongues collective and other acts that, like them, cut through rap’s posturing and bluster with music that was unapologetically them — and undeniably good. “I don’t care if people saw me as backpack or underground or conscious,” Phonte says. “First and foremost, I just wanted them to see me as a dope MC. I’ll rap your fucking ass under the table. That was the bottom line for me.”

“The biggest thing for me is how we saw the Native Tongues and groups being true to themselves, and it worked,” Big Pooh adds. “That showed artists coming behind us that they can do the same thing. And that’s how we have the J. Coles and the Kendricks and the Wales being them, not a souped-up version of them, or a souped-up version or what a Black person’s ‘supposed’ to be.”

They’ll be documenting their creative process, as well as their growth, in the ensuing 20 years since The Listening, in May the Lord Watch: The Little Brother Story, a documentary they’re crafting with documentary platform Rap Portraits. Pooh calls the documentary the “biggest project they’ve ever worked on in their life.” (9th Wonder, their former producer, hasn’t been involved in the documentary to this point, which will be released sometime in 2023.)

In the meantime, Little Brother will embark on a multi-city tour in March to celebrate The Listening and are planning a mystery drop that Pooh teased at the end of our conversation. “Due to some bad business practices, not on our end, we had to reverse course on a few things,” he says, “but we do have something to commemorate 20 years of The Listening that we’re working on, and it’ll be available soon in limited quantities.”

Phonte and Rapper Big Pooh talked to Rolling Stone about The Listening, their thoughts on “Grown Man Rap,” and being offered funding by Katt Williams.

RS: How does it feel to be heading on a tour for the 20th anniversary of your debut?

Phonte: It feels, man, surreal. That record does not feel like it’s 20 years old. That time period doesn’t feel like it was 20 years ago. I would say just also blessed to be able to still be here to celebrate and get those flowers.

Pooh: Yeah, I definitely was going to say blessed. To still be here 20 years later and people still speaking of you 20 years later is definitely a blessing.

RS: And Pooh, Phonte said it doesn’t feel like 20 years ago. Does it feel like 20 years ago for you?

Pooh: Nah, it feel like five years ago, man. I mean, this thing moves so fast. Life moves fast, but when you’re doing something that you love, something that you enjoy doing, even when you have your trials and tribulations or whatever, it all feels like it goes so fast. It feels like we were just finishing that album and excited about the prospects of selling it out the trunk of Phonte’s car (Phonte laughs), and then that shit turned into something totally uncontrollable.

What are some things that you know now that you wish y’all knew when you were in the process of making the album?

Phonte: For me, nothing.

Pooh: Yeah. That’s why I was stumped. I was trying to think.

Phonte: Yeah. Because I think if we knew anything —

Pooh: We wouldn’t have made the same album. It wouldn’t have been what it became, so that was our first lesson in album making.

Phonte: Listen to that record, you’re hearing three guys trying to figure it out. None of us had made a record before. Out of the three of us, I was the one that maybe had the most experience in a studio, and even that was not really much. I would make beats at my crib on the equipment. I had a little four-track recorder that I would make beats on and a little sampler that my man let me borrow, and I would make little tapes in my crib. But making an actual record? Never in my life. We had to figure (that) out on the fly in real-time.

RS: At what point in the process of making the album did you feel like y’all had found the signature sound?

Phonte: “Speed” was the first record we did and we all felt like, “Yo, OK, we got something here.” But for me, “The Way You Do It” was when I was like, “We’re finding ourselves now, and what our sound is and what we’re about. That was that record for me.”

Pooh: Yeah, it probably was “The Way You Do It” for me, but honestly it wasn’t until the end once I heard it all together and it was like, “Oh, shit. We did that. How did we do this?” And I couldn’t stop listening because I was just amazed at what we were able to do, and how fast we was able to do that when we didn’t know what the hell we was doing.

RS: I saw a piece that 9th Wonder did about some of his best beats, and he said with “The Yo-Yo,” he felt like the song was y’all trying to separate yourselves from being billed as “a peace and love group.” How intentional were y’all about not being put in a box during the making of the album?

Phonte: With “The Yo-Yo,” my verse on that song was looking at the whole coffeehouse-and-poetry scene and laughing about (how pretentious it was). In making the album, I don’t think there was, at least for me, a thing of, “I don’t want to be seen as this.” I was just being me. I’m just like, “Look, I’m rhyming, bruh.”

More than anything else, I don’t care if people saw me as backpack or underground or conscious. First and foremost, I just wanted them to see me as a dope MC. I’ll rap your fucking ass under the table. That was the bottom line for me. I just wanted that respect, I didn’t really care. This backpack nigga will serve your ass.

RS: Just call me dope, too.

Phonte: Yeah, exactly. Just call me dope. As long as you call me dope, that’s all I care about.

RS: Did you feel similarly about that, Pooh?

Pooh: Yeah. I wanted people to say I was dope, because at that time, we knew people weren’t listening to half the shit people were saying anyway. Me and ‘Te talked about it all the time. Our main example of that was always Slum Village, Fantastic, Vol. 2. People get caught up in the sounds and the warmth, but were y’all listening to what them motherfuckers were saying? And that was the thing: We always told real stories from our real lives, and if y’all listen to that and consider that underground or backpack because we’re not talking about selling drugs or being on the street or whatever, then call it what you going to call it, but like ‘Te said, just make sure you put dope in front of that.

RS: How did that rhymeless verse on “Whatever You Say,” come together, Phonte? Is that an idea you had always had before you actually wrote it and put it together?

Phonte: Having a verse that didn’t rhyme wasn’t an idea I had before. That’s just what came out of me when I heard that instrumental. I just thought it would be dope. Again, I was listening to Slum Village heavily at that time, Fantastic, Vol. 2, a God-level album. I was playing it all the time. I really liked what they were doing as MCs just with rhythm and space. Baatin, his verse on “2 U 4 U,” that’s not a rhyme. None of that rhymes. Rest in peace to Baatin.

RS: Pooh, what was your first impression when you heard it? Did you realize it until the end of the verse, or how did you —

Pooh: Nah, I didn’t know until he said it, then I was like … Because how we did it in those days, for that first album, we wrote together, and we would share what we wrote after we finished our verse. The thing with ‘Te, as he was writing, he would mumble and rock, and it was a weird sight.

You could see the excitement in that it was a different type of excitement, and I was like, “Damn, I wonder what he over there doing?” Because I keep seeing him do these little motions and shit. I’m like, “Yo, I got to come with some heat cause I don’t know what he’s doing.” So I spit mine and he’s like, “Yeah, nah, that sound good.” And then he spit his and I’m listening, and you just rocking to it and you get caught into the rhythm of the beat, and you’re not paying attention to how he’s ending them lines. And it was like, “I got your head still bobbing in and my verse didn’t rhyme.” I was like, “Goddamn, my head was bobbing,” but yet again, you didn’t rhyme them? And we went back through it, and I was like, “Goddamn. He really didn’t rhyme,” because if he never said it, you would’ve never known.

Phonte: I was like, “OK. In order for it to really sting that it wasn’t rhyming, you have to have a rhyming couplet to trigger the audience.” Like, “Oh, wow.” So, the “personal time” and “verse didn’t rhyme,” I was like, “Alright, you got to have that at the end” so they can actually hear a rhyme to then realize that I was not rhyming the entire time before.

RS: In what ways do you feel like y’all have evolved as artists since that period?

Phonte: Better writers.

Pooh: Yeah. Better collaborators.

Phonte: Better collaborators. Better producers.

Pooh: Much more patient. I’m sure age has do with this (too), but when we would go in the studio, our goal was like “We going in and we finishing this joint.” If we had a studio session, we came in and did not leave until that song was done. Nowadays, not so much. Niggas go to bed (laughs). You do what we can do. It’s like, all right …

Phonte: We can come back to this later.

Pooh: Exactly. But the goal, every time we left the studio, (was to have) something we could play. And even though it may need some tweaks, for better or worse, it’s complete. And that was our mentality for a while. It was good for us because it trained us on how to work efficiently, but it wasn’t good for creativity, because you could be in there and you could be burnt. And you’re trying to force your way through something instead of just stopping, taking a break and then coming back to it with fresh ears.

RS: How much were y’all together when y’all were writing and recording the album?

Pooh: I think the only song we didn’t write together was “For You.” That was pieced together, because Big Dho had bought a new mic and we were spittin’ verses that we had; and 9th, he did a RZA and was like, “We going to take this and this and then give me two lines so we can go for this last.” It ended up becoming that off of a mic test. But I believe everything else we wrote together. We wrote in the car, we wrote in the house, we wrote in the studio. We was writing all over fucking Durham.

RS: How do y’all think y’all would fare in 2023 as new artists?

Pooh: (Singing) “I never would’ve made it!” (All laugh.) Hold on? I got to do TikToks and I got to do everything but make music? Fuck out of here. Me personally, I wouldn’t have made it. I tell people all the time, I’m on social media because of what I do.

Phonte: Of who I am.

Pooh: Yeah. If it wasn’t because of what I do, I probably wouldn’t have social media. And knowing that’s a big part of who you have to be as an artist now, representing yourself on social media, I have a hard time talking to artists now about that. I’m like, “Yo, it’s necessary, but fam trust me, if you ain’t no social media nigga, I understand. I’m right there with you.”

Phonte: And let’s be clear, when we were at 22 years old, we were on social media. It was just called OkayPlayer. That was the OG black Twitter. Simpler times. You didn’t have to be on four different platforms. I think looking to answer that question, I would probably approach it the same way I approached it back then: I’m going to just be me, I’m going to engage with this shit at a point that I feel comfortable, and whatever record sales, notoriety, fame that gets me, I’m going to be cool with that. ‘Cause I’m not engaging with this no more than what I fucking want to.

RS: Y’all are credited with being purveyors of “grown man rap.” How do y’all feel about that term?

Phonte: I mean, for me, I think it’s something that’s needed. If you look at rock music, there’s like 20 different subgenres of rock. But with rap, it’s just rap. We getting lumped into one thing. And that doesn’t give you time and place for the audience to grow with you.

The example I use is where we went to school at: NC Central is on Fayetteville Street. On Fayetteville Street, you got the elementary school, you have the middle school, the high school, and then you have Central. So if you’re a Black person, you can literally live your whole educational career on one street from pre-K to college. There’s a whole framework set up for you. I think hip-hop needs the same thing. I think hip-hop needs that space to say, “OK, if you a young boy starting out, OK, you on the Rolling Loud circuit.” Once you get a little older, OK, now maybe we doing festivals, but now they doing the Rock the Bells cruise (too).

There’s a place to grow older in hip-hop and there are people that still want to hear that music, but you got to meet those people where they are. A 60-year-old hip-hop fan ain’t coming to no dirty underground club to come hear you. They want an experience. It’s like, I want to be here for you and I want to throw my hands in the air, but I got arthritis. So you got to meet those people where they are. So for me, the term “grown man hip-hop” or “adult contemporary hip-hop,” whatever you want to call it, the title is whatever. I think it just speaks to a need to create spaces where you can grow older in this genre and still serve that audience that is willing to pay money to see you. So that’s what it is for me. I love it. It’s creating the lane. I think it’s beautiful.

RS: Why does it seem like it took so long for artists in their thirties and forties to have that space, to have those adult conversations and put that into their music?

Pooh: So long we’ve been told, and it’s only with this genre, that this is a young man’s game.

Phonte: Meanwhile, Keith Richards is probably on tour right now.

Pooh: And he like 112 (laughs). But that was part of it. We were programmed to think that this was all about young people when it was really about disposable income. You don’t get worse as you age, this isn’t an athletic sport. And it’s a young genre, period. I mean, we celebrating 50 years this year, but our album is 20 years old. That’s fucking nuts. A lot of the originators are still here with us, but we’re starting to see older guys who are still relevant. That’s the key. They’re not just here with us, they’re relevant in the space and getting money. They’re some of the guys that’s still at the top of the game, and it’s like, OK, now it’s starting to look like rock. Now it’s starting to look like jazz. Now it’s starting to look like all these other genres that have been here. And I think that was the thing, the genre had to age more to show you can (still) be in it. LL been in this thing since he was, what, 17?

Phonte: People have to remember rap music was looked at as a fad. Even the record companies that were putting out rap, they were like, “OK, well it’s cheaper to produce, it’s cheaper to send two guys in the studio with a drum machine and a turntable than it is to book Earth, Wind, and Fire’s horn section.” I don’t even know if the artists who were making it at that time thought it would last. Now rap is like the 50-year-old that thought he would be dead by 20, and it’s like, “What do I do? Who am I? I expected to be out of here.” But thank God there’s other 50-year-olds around you that’s like, “No, we still want to hear this. This still has a place in our life.” And that’s what makes it beautiful. You just got to serve those people that show up for you.

RS: So your name, Little Brother, is partially inspired by the way that the sensibilities of previous acts inspired y’all. How does it feel in turn to have those stylistic Little Brothers in the J. Coles, the Wales, the Drakes, and other artists who look up to y’all?

Pooh: It’s dope to see. We borrowed from those we looked up to, and then we went and found our own way. The biggest thing for me is how we saw the Native Tongues and groups being true to themselves, and it worked. And that showed them artists coming behind us that they can do the same thing. That’s how we have the J. Coles and the Kendricks and the Wales and whoever being them, not a souped-up version of them, or a souped-up version or what a Black person “supposed” to be.

Phonte, 9th Wonder, and Big Pooh in 2005 RAY TAMARRA/GETTY IMAGES
So obviously there was the Doja Cat clip that went viral, and then there have been other prominent acts who have been laudatory of y’all. How often do y’all get that love in person? Was there ever somebody that came up to y’all and said they were a fan that surprised you?

Pooh: Partied with Al Gore III a couple of times. He was a Little Brother fan and Dilated Peoples fan. That was a surprise. Not that he couldn’t listen to rap, obviously, but it was still a surprise, like, “Wow.” That’s probably one of my biggest surprises, I’ll say.

Phonte: Hell, Doja Cat was a surprise. I mean, listen … if you’re an artist making music now, I think you’re surprised if anyone is listening to you. Everybody’s a surprise, you feel me? Because making music now, it feels like throwing pebbles down a waterfall hoping you make a splash. So the fact that anybody’s listening to you is like, “Oh, my God, thank you.” But we ran into Katt Williams years ago.

Pooh: Yeah, that was definitely surprising.

RS: Where did y’all run into him at?

Phonte: House of Blues, L.A.

Pooh: I just remember we were there, and ‘Te came over like, “Hey, man, I just had a conversation with Katt Williams.” It was like, “Nigga, where? What?”

Phonte: Bro, it was upstairs. It was a lounge, and everybody’s hanging out. I see Katt Williams and he was just in there chillin’. I went to him to dap him up like, “Yo, man, I’m a fan.” I dapped him up, and he grabbed my hand and he pulled me close.

He was like, (perfectly imitating Williams’ voice) “See right now, people is going to need something special, because Obama’s about to get in the office, and the people are going to need something that’s going to feed them and sustain them. And y’all are just going to have to stay in the game long enough for people to want that. So while you in the game, if you need the 20 G’s or 30 G’s just to hold you over until them people come around for you, then you need to come holler at me.”

This is the first time I’ve ever met this person. I would say it was a strange encounter. He was sincere. He really was telling the truth, but that caught me off guard. I did not expect for, after doing a Little Brother show, for Katt Williams to offer me a $30,000 cash advance until …

Pooh: Until the people came around.

RS: I know along with celebrating the album and going on tour, you have a documentary coming out. So I’m wondering if y’all can speak a little bit about that, how it came together?

Pooh: How it’s coming together.

Phonte: Oh, God.

Pooh: With this documentary, ‘Te and I decided we want to be the ones to tell our own story. No disrespect to the Unsungs and those different things, but we wanted to tell the definitive Little Brother story. It’s a process we started (about) five years ago. The pandemic gave us time to hone in on what we wanted it to be. And so we just having fun with it; it’s the biggest project we’ve ever worked on in our lives. I’m excited for it. I’m excited for people to learn. One of the things we want people to walk away from watching this film is to have a better understanding of who we are as people. We let you into our worlds a little bit.

Phonte: Yeah. It requires a lot of vulnerability. And that’s challenging. The thing with making a documentary is that you go in (with) an idea of the story you’re telling, and then you’re interviewing somebody, and they drop a bombshell, and it’s like, “Oh shit, that’s what the documentary is about!” That’s was what it was with Pooh and I over lockdown. That really gave us time to do soul-searching and repair our relationship. It gave us time to grow up in a lot of ways.

Pooh: I told somebody on Twitter when they asked “Where the documentary at?” that “We said 2023, not January 2023.” (Laughs.)

Phonte: Exactly. We got 10 more months in 2023. Shout out to our team, Holland Randolph Gallagher and Yoh Phillips, Rap Portraits. They’re our little brothers, they’ve put a lot of time and care and have held this to the utmost importance. And we’re grateful to have people in our lives that 20 years later after we started still care and feel that our story is one worth telling.

RS: What made Rap Portraits the best team to collaborate with on the documentary?

Phonte: Yoh would interview me for DJ Booth and we would talk, and I thought he was dope. I thought he was a dope writer, very kind of … just weird. He’s the writer version of Darius from Atlanta. Just that weird guy, but says some of the most poignant shit. There was always something about him that I always really liked. So I met him, then a couple years later, Holland runs into me in the Uber line at LAX. We meet and I find out he’s a filmmaker. He had shot a web series at that time called Hype that I later came on to executive-produce, and I saw it and I was like, “Man, this shit is amazing. This is dope. You actually got this done.”

He was like, “(Hype) was just guerilla style, run n’ gun, no permits, no nothing.” And that really resonated with me and Pooh, because that was the same way we made The Listening. It was guerrilla style, trying to figure it out, guys with guts and a dream. That really resonated with me. From that point on we began talking and I said, “Yo man, we got to do some LB shorts. You down to shoot them?” He was like, “Yeah.” So we started doing the shorts, and from that, it built into, “Hey, what if we make a full documentary?” And he had never made a film before.

So that was when I was like, “Hey man, there’s this guy I think you should meet,” and I introduced Holland to Yoh. (after a couple months) I tapped back in with Holland like, “What’s up bro? How’d the meeting go with Yoh?” (He says)”Oh, my God, it was amazing. We’re the best of friends and we’re starting a company called Rap Portraits.” And I was like, “OK. So I guess it went well.”

And when we got into the making the doc, Pooh and I thought it was important to have a writer and director from a younger generation to tell the story because they would see things in our story that we wouldn’t. Whatever emotional blind spots that we may have had, a younger generation would see it in a different way. And that would make for a more insightful and incisive documentary. That’s what it’s proven to be, they’ve done an amazing job.

RS: How involved is 9th Wonder in the documentary process?

Phonte: We reached out to him for an interview and he hasn’t responded.

RS: And so tentatively the plan is sometime in 2023?

Phonte: 2023. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

RS: I was watching the Bootleg Kev interview, and y’all referenced that you still hadn’t been paid for The Listening. I was wondering where that is now, and how the industry hinders your memories of the music, if at all.

Pooh: Well, we’re not trying to be compensated for our first album anymore, we just got (the rights) back. That was the compensation because we were never going to be fairly compensated for that album. So getting it back meant more than anything. For me, it’s tough sometimes, but you got to compartmentalize. Some of the most beautifulest — I sound like Keith Murray — moments that I’ve had in life have to do with places music has taken me. Positions music has put me in. People I’ve met because of music. I can’t forget that.

Even though the business may have me ready to wring a motherfucking neck sometimes, it’s so many more positive experiences out of my participation in music that I got to keep that at the forefront. And that’s how I try to separate it because dealing on the business side, it’s stressful, it’s frustrating, it’s annoying. You’re wondering “What the fuck is this Net 30 shit?” It’s so many different things. You’re just like, “This isn’t efficient. This process doesn’t make sense.” But like I said, on the flip side of that I’m sitting here having an interview with my brother Phonte after a project we put out 20 years ago.

Phonte: You can’t put a price on that. For me, yeah, I try to keep it separate, but I need my goddamn money. I’m sorry. Pay me. I need my fucking money, dog. I work hard, I do this shit. You’re going to fucking pay me. Whereas Pooh is more church-and-state with it, for me it was a lot more holistic because regaining control of our catalog made me listen to the music again. And that made me appreciate the music again.

I remember we did an interview on Questlove Supreme with Marley Marl some years back, and he was talking about all the early stuff, the Cold Chillin’, that era, and he was saying, “Yeah, all of those records that y’all love, I know y’all love them, but I wasn’t really getting paid for that stuff like that.” It’s disheartening to have something that you made and you’re proud of and to know that you’re not being compensated for it. It really does complicate your relationship with the music. And that was, to me, what was most disappointing when you fuck with a person’s money. And now you’re interfering with a pure love that I had for something.

RS: Where are y’all at creatively in terms of new Little Brother music?

Pooh: Right now, our focus is on getting that documentary finished. Once we get through that process, then we can turn our attention elsewhere. But that’s the big thing right now.

Pooh, I know you have a management company. What kind of things do you look for in an artist that you’re looking to work with?

Pooh: I’m more of an A&R guy at this point than management. (Phonte laughs.) I learned that the thing that I liked doing the most technically isn’t even management. It’s helping the artists elevate their sound and their skill, and working with them on music in general. So I pretty much do that at this point. I do A&R for Lute and creative direction for a young artist named Tre’mar, out of Charlotte. Working with younger artists, it’s an adventure. Each one is different, and you just try to impart wisdom, and hopefully they pick up some of those things and their trajectory is a good one.

I’m going to always do that because whatever information I have, I’m willing to give. I’m not trying to hoard it. I’m a well of information and the spigot don’t turn off. I’m willing to give out whatever information I have because I just want to see cats be fulfilled. And that’s whether they want to be signed to a major or do it themselves.

DJR
18637 posts
Sat Feb-25-23 09:41 PM

10. "Saw that, love that they’re getting their flowers"
In response to Reply # 9

Really, since coming back together in 2018-19, seems they’ve really been getting their props this time around.

Still have my CD, my Kazaa downloaded files, and more recently my Bandcamp purchase, and my iTunes purchase. And I can read between the lines….they put some vinyl out soon and I don’t get one, ima be TIGHT. Lol. That album holds so much value to me - musically, sentimentally, inspirationally…all of the “llys”.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Feb-27-23 03:10 PM

11. "9th?"
In response to Reply # 9

I mean damn, how bad are things between them that 9th won't even respond and have any sort of involvement with the documentary?

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Feb-27-23 10:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "It frustrates me to no end."
In response to Reply # 11

I loved their last album but I still get so fired up thinking about the fact that it didn't involve all 3 of them. So tough to make sense of.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Tue Feb-28-23 03:36 AM

14. "If I remember correctly the last album initially involved 9th"
In response to Reply # 13

but that the reasons why they went their own way first time, were again a factor this time.

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Feb-28-23 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "You're remembering correctly. That's what makes it even more frustrating..."
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Feb-28-23 09:48 AM by Brew

If Phonte and Pooh just reunited and made an album, it'd be one thing.

But the fact that the three of them got together for a hometown show at the last minute, seemingly patched things up, discussed making a reunion album, then couldn't pull it together to make that album a true reunion is just wild, sad, baffling shit. The fact that they were *THIS* close makes it so much more frustrating as a fan.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sun Mar-26-23 04:58 PM

35. "but they showed that 9th is superfluous at this point"
In response to Reply # 15

>If Phonte and Pooh just reunited and made an album, it'd be
>one thing.
>
>But the fact that the three of them got together for a
>hometown show at the last minute, seemingly patched things up,
>discussed making a reunion album, then couldn't pull it
>together to make that album a true reunion is just wild, sad,
>baffling shit. The fact that they were *THIS* close makes it
>so much more frustrating as a fan.

I understand nostalgia but I genuinely have no interest in all of them getting together if it's not working --- especially since Pooh and Phonte have proven more than capable of turning in shit that's just as good as anything 9th cooked up without his input.

During some of the interviews around their last album, didn't Phonte say he was already handling more production duties than he got credit for, even circa TMS? Maybe I'm misremembering, but the basic gist I got was that his musical influence on everything post-Listening was significant, and that 9th started to tap out earlier than the official timeline suggests...

Maybe I'm biased - I'm just not that big a fan of 9th - but his influence on LB seems exaggerated in our memory, less held up on record.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

DJR
18637 posts
Sun Mar-26-23 06:32 PM

36. "Yeah, as far as sequencing, skits, song writing and overall direction "
In response to Reply # 35

>>If Phonte and Pooh just reunited and made an album, it'd be
>>one thing.
>>
>>But the fact that the three of them got together for a
>>hometown show at the last minute, seemingly patched things
>up,
>>discussed making a reunion album, then couldn't pull it
>>together to make that album a true reunion is just wild,
>sad,
>>baffling shit. The fact that they were *THIS* close makes it
>>so much more frustrating as a fan.
>
>I understand nostalgia but I genuinely have no interest in all
>of them getting together if it's not working --- especially
>since Pooh and Phonte have proven more than capable of turning
>in shit that's just as good as anything 9th cooked up without
>his input.
>
>During some of the interviews around their last album, didn't
>Phonte say he was already handling more production duties than
>he got credit for, even circa TMS? Maybe I'm misremembering,
>but the basic gist I got was that his musical influence on
>everything post-Listening was significant, and that 9th
>started to tap out earlier than the official timeline
>suggests...
>
>Maybe I'm biased - I'm just not that big a fan of 9th - but
>his influence on LB seems exaggerated in our memory, less held
>up on record.
>

I recall them saying that 9th kinda checked out during the process of making The Minstrel Show and that Phonte basically put that album together, and that there were 4 versions of Little Brother at that point….

Phonte, Pooh, and 9th on the records.

Phonte, Pooh, and Big Dho handling the business end of things.

Phonte, Pooh, and Khrysis in the studio (I believe they said he took over recording and engineering duties at some point during the making of that album)

Phonte, Pooh, and DJ Flash on stage.

And that when they tried again, the same issues were already starting to pop up so they just decided it was best to move on.

I still enjoy all their music, and those early records will always be there. The LB doc will be interesting to watch when it comes out.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Mar-28-23 10:14 AM

38. "Yea it's nostalgia for sure."
In response to Reply # 35

But it's also that The Listening and Minstrel Show are far and away their best albums, so it would've been nice for them to get back to the original iteration of the group.

All that said, MTLW is the best album they made since they became a duo, so it ultimately worked out.

DJR
18637 posts
Mon Mar-27-23 06:12 PM

37. "Here’s Scudda talking about where they stand, a bit "

Shout to that YouTube algorithm on this one, because this popped up on top of my feed last night, somehow.

https://youtu.be/UsKDD2s0cHE&t=46m20s

DJR
18637 posts
Thu Apr-20-23 08:50 PM

42. "And here’s Tay and Pooh speaking on it a bit…"

https://youtu.be/zJEO7Urk-vo&t=23m50s

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Sat Mar-25-23 12:20 AM

30. "damn this is frustrating to learn"
In response to Reply # 14

the new LB was held back by cheap beats, repetitive production, etc.

I always thought the previous beef involved 9th not wanting to tour...is that not it? Because if it is...Phonte and Pooh should accept it and get better production from 9th.

None of the producers who made these generic ass casio beats are touring with them, are they?

Like...just make better fucking music. I don't need to hear the same song 15 times. No matter how hard you're spitting.

Open the wallet and increase the budget....

DJR
18637 posts
Sat Mar-25-23 07:10 AM

31. "Khrysis, Nottz, Black Milk, Focus…. Cheap beats?"
In response to Reply # 30

Those are all great producers.

Seems LB was clearly going for a certain sound on that album and they used the beats they got that fit that sound. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it. I don’t think it’s accurate to say it was “cheap beats” or bad producers - those producers are on the same level as 9th, IMO.

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Sun Mar-26-23 07:52 AM

32. "RE: 9th?"

I was interviewed by Tuandon who was 9th's roommate while he was at NCCU...

Link is here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4j_P5NlZWQ

He talks about the situation about two and a half hours in...

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sat Apr-29-23 09:40 PM

44. "RE: 9th is a narcissistic piece of shit"

>I mean damn, how bad are things between them that 9th won't
>even respond and have any sort of involvement with the
>documentary?

there's no way he'd participate in a) anything that would have the possibility of making him look bad and b) especially if its something he can't be in charge of and control

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Brew
24419 posts
Mon May-01-23 09:25 AM

45. "Jeez."
In response to Reply # 44

>RE: 9th is a narcissistic piece of shit

Do you know him ?!

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Tue May-02-23 03:54 PM

46. "RE: Phonte and Pooh do"
In response to Reply # 45

and they've both said it was the main reason why things didn't work out

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

doitall76
Member since Dec 01st 2002
476 posts
Thu May-04-23 04:54 PM

47. "RE: Phonte and Pooh do"
In response to Reply # 46

No disrespect my dude, but that is a sh*tty way to live. Do you accept everything that you hear from others at face value. There are many years of interactions and disagreements, and very personal interactions between those folks. There are 3 sides to every story, 1 party's, the second party's, and then the truth. I am not saying that Pooh and Phonte are wrong for feeling the way that they do, but you have to evaluate people on their own merit.

I will tell you that my father is a questionable dude to me in my later years, because of the issues that he and I have, but he would be a hell of a stand up dude to you if you met him. That is because you and he won't have the issues that he and I do (that we just aren't going to be able to resolve).

I have known 9th since before the Listening came out. We aren't tight, but I have never felt that he fell into the category of what you describe. He is a great dude to many people, ask Rapsody, Guru, and many other people that he works with. I bet you that they would say something different. But for you to just take the account from someone else that had dealing that you weren't a part shows lack of maturity.

Peace
Doitall76

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Thu May-04-23 08:09 PM

48. "RE: didn't read past 'no disrespect' off GP"
In response to Reply # 47

>No disrespect my dude

because disrespect always follows that phrase, which doesn't bother me personally at all but you typed out that post for nothing basically

doitall76
476 posts
Thu May-04-23 09:06 PM

49. "RE: didn't read past 'no disrespect' off GP"
In response to Reply # 48
Thu May-04-23 09:12 PM by doitall76

No problem at all.

Continue trolling, I will stay outta your way.

Your style is impetuous. Your defense is impregnable. And you're just ferocious.

Peace,
Doitall76

Brew
24419 posts
Mon May-08-23 08:56 AM

50. "I don't recall them calling him a "narcissistic piece of shit""
In response to Reply # 46

But aight then. lol

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sun May-14-23 12:52 PM

52. "oh everything after 'narcissistic' was 100% me"
In response to Reply # 50

>But aight then. lol

it's hard for some people to understand that how long you've known somebody and how good you get along with them doesn't invalidate other people's situations with them, nor does it address their character

doitall76
476 posts
Mon May-15-23 09:33 AM

53. "RE: oh everything after 'narcissistic' was 100% me"
In response to Reply # 52

>>But aight then. lol
>
>
>it's hard for some people to understand that how long you've
>known somebody and how good you get along with them doesn't
>invalidate other people's situations with them, nor does it
>address their character

I found this on the main page for the Boards
The Lesson
In-depth music discussion. Want to post about how cute you think Lil' Wayne is? Do not embarrass yourself! Take that somewhere else!

Peace
Doitall76

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Tue May-16-23 08:10 PM

54. "RE: oh everything after 'narcissistic' was 100% me"
In response to Reply # 53

>>>But aight then. lol
>>
>>
>>it's hard for some people to understand that how long you've
>>known somebody and how good you get along with them doesn't
>>invalidate other people's situations with them, nor does it
>>address their character
>
>
>I found this on the main page for the Boards
> The Lesson
>In-depth music discussion. Want to post about how cute you
>think Lil' Wayne is? Do not embarrass yourself! Take that
>somewhere else!
>
>Peace
>Doitall76

still a narcissistic piece of shit I don't give a fuck

doitall76
476 posts
Thu May-18-23 07:50 AM

55. "www.betterhelp.com"
In response to Reply # 54

Use promo code LetGoAndGrow for 15% off.

Peace
Doitall76

DJR
18637 posts
Tue Feb-28-23 10:56 AM

16. "RE: Little Brother’s ‘The Listening’ Continues To Shape Hip-Hop - ..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpGVS22JhkN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Mar-03-23 09:30 AM

17. "Seeing them tonight in SD for the first time ever"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m ready to get a little emotional.

As others have said, they/this album are very special — especially to this community. I discovered them here like I’m sure most of you.

It’s wild that after all these years I feel like Tay is still speaking for me in his bars. Back then it was about struggling to make something of yourself. Now it’s the grown man rap element that keeps me coming back as a family man now.

Von Pea
Member since Jul 07th 2002
23537 posts
Sat Mar-04-23 08:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Jumping in a Little Brother post for old times sake"
In response to Reply # 0

LITTLE mf'n BROTHER!!!!!!!!!

(thats what the burned cd copy of the listening said when they mailed it to me)

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Sat Mar-04-23 01:00 PM

19. "Caught them last night in San Diego"
In response to Reply # 0

Drove out from Phoenix, great live as always.

Crazy to me The Listening dropped 20 years ago, I was still in college, actually met all 3 of them kinda randomly in Charlotte. If memory serves, they were supposed to have a small set I think before The Roots? Or maybe Kweli? Either way, they got bumped, some other acts ran too long. I was a little bummed as I had been hyping them up amongst some of my friends who weren’t familiar. Anyways we’re walking around and I literally hear 9th and Phonte talking about something off on the side of the crowd. I loop around a little to see if who I’m hearing is them and boom, all three of them. I fanboy of course (I was 21 haha).

They took pictures with us (I had a disposable camera), super cool, talked for a few minutes, me making it known I bought their album for real (hiphopsite or sandbox automatic).
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

DJR
18637 posts
Sun Mar-05-23 07:58 PM

20. "Love it! I’m going to the Brooklyn show in 2 weeks"
In response to Reply # 19

And I’m still really debating going to Boston the day before and then just taking the train into NY and the Subway to Brooklyn.

I don’t know if I’ve got back to back nights in me though.

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Mar-06-23 11:45 AM

21. "I'll be @ the Boston show. Can't wait."
In response to Reply # 20

Let me know if you do pull the trigger on coming this way !

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Mar-17-23 11:34 AM

22. "They killed it last nite."
In response to Reply # 21

I went dolo, some people had to back out. Glad I went. May never get to see them again and they are amazing live. Phonte could be a fucking comedian if he wanted to. Dude is hilarious.

DJR
18637 posts
Sat Mar-18-23 10:01 AM

23. "Yeah, they put on a great show "
In response to Reply # 22

>I went dolo, some people had to back out. Glad I went. May
>never get to see them again and they are amazing live. Phonte
>could be a fucking comedian if he wanted to. Dude is
>hilarious.

Would’ve loved to make Boston too, but wasn’t in the cards. Brooklyn show was great too. Phonte’s “grown man rap time” bits are hilariously on point. I love that Scudda and D Brock were there too.

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Mar-20-23 09:50 AM

24. "Hell yea. Place exploded when Scudda jumped on stage."
In response to Reply # 23

>I love that
>Scudda and D Brock were there too.

It's funny cuz Scudda was always an objectively horrible lyricist but as part of the Little Brother universe he's a fucking legend.

His IG is really funny in lieu of MTLW w/Phonte making fun of him being "white" again.

DJR
18637 posts
Mon Mar-20-23 05:28 PM

26. "Ha yeah his Lovin It verse always goes off live, in my experience"
In response to Reply # 24
Mon Mar-20-23 05:29 PM by DJR

I always liked the way he rode a beat and thought he said some funny shit. His verses on Raw Life and Pooh’s Plastic Cups and Roll Call were 3 favorites of mine.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 09:25 AM

28. "Yea - he def has mic presence and charisma."
In response to Reply # 26

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 01:50 PM

29. "Just noticed that in the show posters they're selling .."
In response to Reply # 21

... Pooh appears to be wearing a Golden Girls t-shirt, which makes me happy. Haha. What a guy.

DJR
18637 posts
Sun Mar-26-23 10:35 AM

34. "I got there early as hell to make sure I got one of those, lol"
In response to Reply # 29

I believe they said Scudda designed it. He also did the artwork for Pooh’s last album.

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Tue Mar-28-23 03:09 PM

39. "Somehow i'm just now noticing that..."
In response to Reply # 29

...even after I had that poster framed and it's in my work area right now lol.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49416 posts
Mon Mar-20-23 01:18 PM

25. "Brooklyn Show is Dope. Phonte is such a showman. "
In response to Reply # 19

Bruh should be doing standup.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

DJR
18637 posts
Mon Mar-20-23 06:30 PM

27. "“That’s not V.I.P., that’s O.L.D”"
In response to Reply # 25

Lol, that line killed.

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Sun Mar-26-23 07:54 AM

33. "he said that in Boston and I was dying..."
In response to Reply # 27

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2066 posts
Sun Apr-02-23 11:01 AM

40. "Boston show was great! "
In response to Reply # 0

Saw Donwill, Easy Money. Was that Chaundon at the merch table? Happy to see Skyzoo, but I feel like he limited his show by doing only the new album. I get it, but he’s got so many joints that I would’ve loved to hear live. Can’t believe they didn’t do Speed Racing. Wish I would’ve got that poster and a shirt, hopefully 5th and Fashion has it up soon.

DJR
18637 posts
Sun Apr-02-23 11:29 AM

41. "Yeah, Chaundon was at the merch table"
In response to Reply # 40

I thought the same on “Speed Racing”!

DJR
18637 posts
Thu Apr-20-23 10:20 PM

43. "Shouts to FWMJ - LB talking about The Listening album cover"
In response to Reply # 0

2 new interviews popping up? That Documentary has to be close??!

https://youtu.be/ubMtmOUjexI

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon May-08-23 05:54 PM

51. "taking it a step further.."
In response to Reply # 0

..to The Minstrel Show's influence on popular culture:

UBN on TMS is clearly the audio-only predecessor for BAN on Atlanta.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3039156 Previous topic | Next topic