Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3038448

Subject: "New Release Friday 2022-06-24" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Jun-24-22 07:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday 2022-06-24"

Hey all - sorry I've not been posting these for a minute. Been a busy time and my schedule's had a lot of changes but I'll try to get these back up and running, it's always nice to see what folks are listening to.

This week all I got so far is:

Lupe

Giveon - Give or Take

Tim Heidecker - High School

Soccer Mommy - Sometimes, Forever

But I haven't dug deep yet. What's everyone checking for? What's been on your speakers this week?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Gorillaz feat. Thundercat "Cracker Island" is super dope
Jun 24th 2022
Apollo brown - time lost
Jun 24th 2022
RE: New Release Friday 2022-06-24
Jun 24th 2022
Welcome back.
Jun 25th 2022
RE: Welcome back.
Jun 27th 2022
      I have not.
Jun 29th 2022
Homeboy Sandman dropped a mixtape, and it's awesome.
Jun 25th 2022
that sounds really interesting
Jun 27th 2022
Ron Trent's new album is a vibe
Jun 28th 2022
RE: Ron Trent's new album is a vibe
Jun 30th 2022
some intentionally over-the-top but nevertheless truly felt words on giv...
Aug 12th 2022

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13181 posts
Fri Jun-24-22 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Gorillaz feat. Thundercat "Cracker Island" is super dope"
In response to Reply # 0

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Jun-24-22 04:27 PM

2. "Apollo brown - time lost"
In response to Reply # 0

I think this is an instrumental ep, not sure though.

-thebigfunk

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Fri Jun-24-22 05:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: New Release Friday 2022-06-24"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-24-22 05:40 PM by Steve O Tron v2

Dot Da Genius - Talk About Me (feat. Kid Cudi, Denzel Curry, JID)
https://youtu.be/86e7ORFoFVk
Not familiar with Dot Da Genius, but this showed up on my Spotify Release Radar playlist because of Denzel. I don't follow Cudi and didn't realize it was him until I looked at the song info, but I enjoyed everyone's verses.

>Lupe
Enjoy the jazzy production on songs like "GHOTI," "NAOMI," and the title track even if that style doesn't really excite me these days. "SEATTLE" stood out the most after the first listen.

>Soccer Mommy - Sometimes, Forever
I've enjoyed the singles for this new one. The drumming and shoegaze/dream pop elements for "Shotgun," especially during the hook, really work for me. Parts of the production on "Unholy Affliction" remind me of Radiohead around Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, but the start of the second verse sounds very Portishead-y, which I thought sounded good too. I just learned that Daniel Lopatin produced the album, which explains things. Need more time with the non-singles before forming an opinion.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Sat Jun-25-22 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Welcome back."
In response to Reply # 0

Love using this post to more so post what I've been buying.

Kaidi Tatham - Galaxy EP (2022)
https://kaiditatham.bandcamp.com/album/galaxy

Heard "Ergonomic Structure" and was sold,
but "Galaxy" feat Lola Vialet has grown on me.
Love when the 4hero/2000Black team does boogie/R&B stuff.

IAMNOBODI - Compass (2021)
https://iamnobodi.bandcamp.com/album/compass

Beatchild - Something Forever (2011)
https://beatchild.bandcamp.com/album/something-forever-special-edition-2

Been on my wishlist for YEARS. I'm a big fan of dude.
Really surprised he doesn't get more love/recognition.
Dude is an amazing producer.

https://digife.com

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Mon Jun-27-22 12:48 PM

7. "RE: Welcome back."
In response to Reply # 4

>Love using this post to more so post what I've been buying.
>
>Kaidi Tatham - Galaxy EP (2022)
>https://kaiditatham.bandcamp.com/album/galaxy
>
>Heard "Ergonomic Structure" and was sold,
>but "Galaxy" feat Lola Vialet has grown on me.
>Love when the 4hero/2000Black team does boogie/R&B stuff.
>

Nice, looking forward to this. Did you check out Tatham's "An Insight to All Minds" project last year? I remember really liking it but only got a few listens in. I might revisit that this week, too.

Thanks for the other notes too. Beatchild's a name I've seen a bunch but haven't checked for yet.

-thebigfunk

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Wed Jun-29-22 02:58 PM

9. "I have not."
In response to Reply # 7

Did you check out Tatham's "An
>Insight to All Minds" project last year? I remember really
>liking it but only got a few listens in. I might revisit that
>this week, too.

I feel like he has a new release every month.
I'll check for it.

https://digife.com

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sat Jun-25-22 08:12 PM

5. "Homeboy Sandman dropped a mixtape, and it's awesome."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-25-22 08:12 PM by phemom

It's called "I Can't Sell These"

https://homeboysandman.bandcamp.com/album/i-cant-sell-these

Consisting of songs that producers didn't pay for, songs over SAULT beats...and a couple beats I never expecting him to rhyme over.

Also, if you click the individual songs Sand tells you where each track came from....which is a dope feature that bandcamp has that I don't think people use enough.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Mon Jun-27-22 12:41 PM

6. "that sounds really interesting"
In response to Reply # 5

I'll probably check it out. I've never really vibed much with him but every once and a while I'll hear a verse from him that clicks. I should probably spend more time with him.

-thebigfunk

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2275 posts
Tue Jun-28-22 08:47 AM

8. "Ron Trent's new album is a vibe"
In response to Reply # 0

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Thu Jun-30-22 08:50 AM

10. "RE: Ron Trent's new album is a vibe"
In response to Reply # 8

listening to this now

saw a review of it on p-fork the other day, saw a jean-luc ponty feature and was like --- how could i NOT add this to my to-listen-to stack?!?!?!

digging it so far

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Aug-12-22 06:18 PM

11. "some intentionally over-the-top but nevertheless truly felt words on giv..."
In response to Reply # 0

>Giveon - Give or Take

I should say, if you're a Giveon fan, all respect to you and you can take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt. But I rarely dislike something so distinctly that when I do, I feel like I have to vent somewhere. So here goes.

I've been pretty lukewarm on him since I first heard him but always feel like I should check for him.

With this album, after one listen that I struggled to get through, I'm calling it:

This is the sort of record that makes me rethink my stalwart denial of objective good and bad in music.

It's like someone fed some parameters of bedroom r&b with an "interesting" male voice into an AI machine and this is what it spat out.

The music's boring.

He's boring. He has a boring voice that flaps around like a balloon that's had all the air sucked out of it, and with it all its life, any sense of soul or spirit.

A lot of the songs go nowhere.

When they do go somewhere, they're often so on the nose that it feels like karaoke.

The one redeeming feature is occasionally the production --- but it's nothing special and certainly not worth the price of admission.

After this album, I'm convinced that I'd be annoyed with him even if he was doing something banal, like announcing upcoming stops on the el or telling us to turn off our phones before a movie. Even those voices - which are in fact sometimes robots - often have some semblance of personality, that they do, in fact, exist in the world, with arms and legs and occasionally an emotion or two.

Some skit on the album has him saying something like "but I'm a lover, you know?" and I gagged a bit, first on the bit itself and then on the fact that I'd wasted my time on the album and him in general. I wasn't even giving it my undivided attention and it still felt like I'd betrayed my time's inherent value somehow --- I could have gotten more dishes done in that forty-five minutes if I hadn't been half-listening to this record.

It's called Give or Take. Whatever pun I make on the title would be obvious and yet I'm having a very very hard time resisting the urge.

So from this day forth, I will not be fooled by any suggestions that Giveon has something to offer me as an R&B fan, a music fan, or really as a human being. I share this as a note of caution: take heed!

-thebigfunk

Lobby The Lesson topic #3038448 Previous topic | Next topic