Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3037756

Subject: "Why no discussion of It's Almost Dry?" Previous topic | Next topic
stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Wed May-04-22 08:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why no discussion of It's Almost Dry?"

I was stellar right? I mean, I loved it (minus 2 songs). It's also Pusha T's first number 1 on billboard. What up, what does the Lesson think about it?

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought it was pretty strong overall
May 04th 2022
I'm not really feeling Brambleton
May 04th 2022
About the same as all of his albums
May 04th 2022
Definitely enjoying it.
May 04th 2022
RE: Why no discussion of It's Almost Dry?
May 04th 2022
I never knew I missed him spitting over P's beats
May 04th 2022
Not feeling it as much as Daytona
May 05th 2022
I really liked it
May 05th 2022
I need to listen to it more
May 31st 2022
Crazy, I'm listening for the first time right now...
May 06th 2022
Anyone else prefer to listen to either of the Versuz versions?
May 09th 2022
haven't gotten all the way through it yet...
May 18th 2022
fair point
May 18th 2022
Tired of hearing these ARTISTS stuck on killing themselves, each other
May 25th 2022
RE: Tired of hearing these ARTISTS stuck on killing themselves, each oth...
May 25th 2022
re:
May 25th 2022
outgrowing this negativity!
May 25th 2022
to be clear I disagree
May 26th 2022

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Wed May-04-22 10:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I thought it was pretty strong overall"
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely my favorite Pusha full-length solo (not including DAYTONA in this since that was basically an EP)

My favorite tracks (in album order): Brambleton, Dreamin' of the Past, Neck & Wrist, Diet Coke, Call My Bluff

I don't think it will be an album I revisit in full very often, but the tracks I really like have been getting a lot of play.

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Wed May-04-22 02:14 PM

4. "I'm not really feeling Brambleton"
In response to Reply # 1

deleted it off the album. Not that I hate the song, but it was kinda meh for me. I spent the whole time listening to that track anticipating 'Let The Smokers Shin The Coupes'

www.anwarmorse.com

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Wed May-04-22 11:07 AM

2. "About the same as all of his albums"
In response to Reply # 0

(not a diss)

He never has albums I want to listen to front to back, over and over, but it has a couple of joints I added to the playlist so I'm not mad at it.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23877 posts
Wed May-04-22 01:11 PM

3. "Definitely enjoying it."
In response to Reply # 0

I’m wondering if Ye’s weird “808 is evil frequency” shit is why “Diet Coke” has no low end. I love that song, probably 2nd to “Call My Bluff”, but it doesn’t knock. I thought it was because I was listening to the YouTube video, then I thought it was a weird mix on the Spotify version. It’s a fun beat to remake, though. Didn’t realize the sample is saying “Stopped…his heart”.

Pharrell should always give Push something light or upbeat like “Gangsta Lean” from the first Clipse album.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Wed May-04-22 03:34 PM

5. "RE: Why no discussion of It's Almost Dry?"
In response to Reply # 0

It had its moments but like others have said there's not a lot of replay value in it for me. A few stand outs but also I feel it was too experimental which is fine. I appreciate that effort but it didn't resonate with me enough to want to play it again. I'm sure I'll check it out again during the summer abd may have different views.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Wed May-04-22 05:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I never knew I missed him spitting over P's beats"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it definitely upped the energy of the album.

---
Love,
Nopayne

topaz
Member since Nov 28th 2002
6236 posts
Thu May-05-22 06:11 AM

7. "Not feeling it as much as Daytona"
In response to Reply # 0

Will give it a few more spins. Pleasantly surprised with the Malice feature.

-
Gang Starr / Nujabes blend - https://youtu.be/lsci1vu6ick
DOOM Tribute - https://youtu.be/qmBQ2BDefKM
Donut of the Heart cover in Javascript - https://youtu.be/afLc2CkC8lk

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu May-05-22 10:55 AM

8. "I really liked it"
In response to Reply # 0

I need to go back to it. I think it will stay pretty high on my 2022 playlist. I also think I enjoyed the Kanye tracks more, at least on the first listen.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue May-31-22 05:05 PM

18. "I need to listen to it more"
In response to Reply # 8

I gave it another spin and it is clear I haven't listened to it enough. A lot of it is still unfamiliar to me. I'm not so sure I prefer the Kanye tracks more anymore. They were more catchy on first listen but I can see myself tiring of most of them.

I think it is still really good but not necessarily AOTY level, even if it is nominated and wins lol

tzt2004
Member since Aug 08th 2006
2989 posts
Fri May-06-22 04:56 PM

9. "Crazy, I'm listening for the first time right now..."
In response to Reply # 0

Love what I'm hearing.

I really like the idea of limiting these projects to one or two producers. This is a very good album.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon May-09-22 03:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Anyone else prefer to listen to either of the Versuz versions?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-09-22 03:03 AM by Nodima

I like the album a lot, I'm about as in the bag for Push as a guy can get, but honestly find It's Almost Dry as is a little uneven, or more accurately kind of glued together? I've been listening to the Pharrell vs. Ye version this week, though, where it's all the Pharrell tracks followed by all the Ye tracks, and it feels way more cohesive, oddly.

I personally love Brambleton, too, so I like having to wait for it a bit since it's the last track in the Pharrell sequence on this tracklist rather than the album opener, where for me it kinda set expectations for an album that meets them just 3 or 4 other times, if that.

Side note: because Push keeps talking some version of "I wouldn't keep rapping if I felt any competition in this space" during the press tour, and Freddie Gibbs is RIGHT THERE, I can't help but get really picky about some moments on this album. Most pointedly as of this moment the Night King line. Is Pusha T the only dude in the world who still cares about Game of Thrones in 2022?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Wed May-18-22 10:15 AM

11. "haven't gotten all the way through it yet..."
In response to Reply # 0

...but i like how while the subject matter may remain consistent, his actual rapping absolutely does not. every track i'm noticing things that he's either never done before or done as well

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed May-18-22 10:31 AM

12. "fair point"
In response to Reply # 11

but for me the subject matter is so *ahem* dry at this point that it takes away from the skill, from where he's switching it up. And yeah, I get that there's a lot more going on than "just" coke rap but as a whole it doesn't feel all that different from anything he's done on every other album/feature since... well, Clipse. To me, anyway.

I also seriously did not like that Jealous Guy flip, and to not do that material justice is past the point of no return for me, lol. I think I'm alone there, though, I've seen other folks specifically calling that a highlight.

There's some tracks on this for sure though, mostly the Pharrell joints.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

nativesun07
Member since Mar 28th 2004
3620 posts
Wed May-25-22 08:57 AM

13. "Tired of hearing these ARTISTS stuck on killing themselves, each other"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-25-22 09:25 AM by nativesun07

and me….shout out to Gibbs and Benny on the way to killing each other instead of building off their features together with a joint ep.

I’m outgrowing this negativity.

Pusha T is a high level creative and I’ve seen the pinnacle of his drug raps….Ima tune back in when he directs his energy to something new

I should put that in a song

@nategoodness
www.nategoodness.com

The avatar is old. And, no, that hat was not a groovy style back then, either.

spidey
Charter member
13121 posts
Wed May-25-22 10:48 AM

14. "RE: Tired of hearing these ARTISTS stuck on killing themselves, each oth..."
In response to Reply # 13

Well said...long live the FEW MC's still doing it that are talking about something...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Wed May-25-22 01:26 PM

15. "re:"
Wed May-25-22 01:31 PM by stone_phalanges

I get it.

www.anwarmorse.com

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10137 posts
Wed May-25-22 03:04 PM

16. "outgrowing this negativity!"

+1

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Thu May-26-22 08:48 AM

17. "to be clear I disagree"

But I understand your feelings and respect your opinion.

I think the album is fire.

www.anwarmorse.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3037756 Previous topic | Next topic