Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036900

Subject: "Bootsy Collins - ‘Oneness’ of Black History Month, and ‘Hip Hop Lo..." Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13956 posts
Sat Feb-26-22 04:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bootsy Collins - ‘Oneness’ of Black History Month, and ‘Hip Hop Lo..."
Sat Feb-26-22 04:36 PM by c71

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bootsy-collins-hip-hop-lollipop-video-1312373/

Bootsy Collins feat. Branford Marsalis, Victor Wooten and Fantaazma - Hip Hop Lollipop

https://youtu.be/93BEOz1WSn0

HOME>MUSIC>MUSIC>NEWS

FEBRUARY 25, 2022 1:35PM ET

Bootsy Collins on the ‘Oneness’ of Black History Month, His New Video ‘Hip Hop Lollipop’

Song features Branford Marsalis, Victor Wooten and the funkster’s newest funkateer, Fantaazma

By KORY GROW

Bootsy Collins presides over a kaleidoscopic funktopia in the video for his new song “Hip Hop Lollipop,” a remake of “Club Funkateers” from his recent album, The Power of the One. The clip features Hamburg artist Fantaazma rapping and dancing around clips of Collins singing the “Funkateers” chorus — “How much you got, how much you gon’ get?” The song features a virtuosic bass solo break by Victor Wooten that’s so hot sparks come flying off his instrument in the clip, as well as impressive saxophone licks by Branford Marsalis.

The video opens with Collins welcoming Fantaazma to his club, giving her the titular hip-hop lollipop, and before long she has transformed, wearing a club-ready sparkly blue jumpsuit and starts rapping about funk, fusion, and music evolution. Patti Collins, Bootsy’s wife and collaborator, also sings the catchy “messin’ with my mind” refrain from the original, while Bootsy vibes in the club.

Silk Sonic Are Here to Save Us With Seventies Soul
“I was just strutting down the street when the Mothership descended on me,” Fantaazma says. “I was touched by Bootzilla’s synergy and became a part of the trilogy. He gave me that ‘hip hop lollipop’ and it flipped my script, now I’m flying on the lollipop ship! I haven’t been the same since. You should try one, it’s so funkin’ fun!”

“It’s kinda like the music evolution of Miles Davis, but with bubblegum hip-hop rap on top, for the youngin’ to really get a lick at her talent,” Collins says. “This remake includes the phenom bassist Victor Wooten. Hope you dig it!”

Collins wanted to release the track, which shouts out Sly Stone and Victor Wooten, during February’s Black History Month. “Black History Month gives us a chance to express our oneness as a unified team, to embrace our blackness, and stay in ‘good trouble’ like our hero, Dr. King,” he says via email. “We stand on the backs of others, in everything we do. You are the Power of the One, to thine self be true. You Dig?!” He signed his missive, “Bootsy baby!!!✌🎸👍”

Collins recently reflected on his own history for Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums podcast in which he discussed the making of Parliament’s Mothership Connection LP. In the episode, which also features interviews with George Clinton, Fred Wesley, and many others, Collins unpacks the stories behind “P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up),” “Mothership Connection (Star Child),” and the group’s first gold single, “Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker).” “I would say everybody was so ‘on the one’ that we never even thought about it,” Collins said in the podcast. “We were just having a good time. To me, one song didn’t overcome another. So it was all to me like one big jam. Like one big jam party.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/parliament-mothership-connection-500-greatest-albums-podcast-1281387/

(audio link in the linked article)

HOME>MUSIC>MUSIC>NEWS

JANUARY 18, 2022 9:54AM ET

How Parliament’s ‘Mothership Connection’ Gave Up the Funk for a Whole Generation

George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, and other P-Funkateers reflect on how they tore the roof off the sucker in the latest episode of our Amazon Original podcast Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums

By KORY GROW

At the beginning of 1975, Gerald Ford was president, the United States and Soviet Union were approaching a détente in the Space Race, and a wildly imaginative barber turned singer named George Clinton was redefining the possibilities of funk music with his bands Funkadelic and Parliament.

That year, Parliament put out two albums — Chocolate City, on which he dared to imagine Muhammad Ali as president and Aretha Franklin as First Lady, and the iconic Mothership Connection, which played off another one of Clinton’s fantasies, sending Black people to space. Clinton felt it was up to him to paint a new tableau of Afrofuturism with music he guaranteed would “put a dip in your hip and a glide in your stride.” Songs like “P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up),” “Mothership Connection (Star Child),” and the group’s first gold single, “Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)” were instant dance-floor anthems — and part of funk’s biggest crossover moment to date.

In the latest episode of our Amazon Original podcast Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums, Clinton and many of his collaborators on Mothership Connection — including bass icon Bootsy Collins and trombonist-arranger Fred Wesley — talk Rolling Stone Senior Writer Kory Grow through the drugs, diapers, and free-form camaraderie that fueled this psychedelic masterpiece.

In 2003, Rolling Stone published its definitive countdown of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, the most popular and most argued-over list in the magazine’s history. In 2020, we completely remade the list, adding more than 150 new titles. With the Amazon Original podcast Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums, we’re delving further into the making and meaning of many of the records that made the cut, with exclusive insights from the artists who created them — and those who know them and their music best. Parliament’s Mothership Connection placed at Number 363 in the latest ranking.

Hosted by RS Senior Writer Brittany Spanos, Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums appears exclusively on Amazon Music, with a new episode rolling out each week. Check out the Mothership Connection episode above.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036900 Previous topic | Next topic