Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036882

Subject: "New Release Friday 2022-02-25" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 02:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday 2022-02-25"

Haven't had really any time to check what's out there -- what's everyone seeing?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Glasper - Black Radio III
Feb 25th 2022
my goodness, I'm LOVING this new Glasper
Feb 26th 2022
i liked it on first listen too
Feb 27th 2022
      RE: i liked it on first listen too
Feb 27th 2022
           RE: i liked it on first listen too
Mar 04th 2022
Elzhi - Strangeland (Produced by Georgia Anne Muldrow)
Mar 01st 2022
definitely excited about this one
Mar 02nd 2022
a few picks from my to-listen-to list this week
Mar 02nd 2022
Focus… - …
Mar 06th 2022

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 03:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Glasper - Black Radio III"
In response to Reply # 0

I have such mixed feelings about Glasper but he's got my ear again over the last year or two, plus the features on this are pretty straight (Q-Tip & Esperanza on a track, Meshell (that track is dope), Lalah and Common, Gregory Porter and Ledisi, the list goes on) --- so I'm giving this a listen now.

-thebigfunk

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Sat Feb-26-22 09:40 PM

2. "my goodness, I'm LOVING this new Glasper"
In response to Reply # 0

just what I needed, what I've been looking for. it feels good to me and it's socially a little different than 1 and 2. feels like the mix is thicker and focusing more on the low end. I like how it sounds a lot better than the previous albums. but it's also more "straightforward" neo-soul/r&b to me at least.

this was also an immediate cop for me halfway thru!! I bought it on Bandcamp for $10 and change and it's in hi res
---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

welp

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sun Feb-27-22 07:34 AM

3. "i liked it on first listen too"
In response to Reply # 2

Not as much as you, I think, but it will definitely get some play. Not sure where it will fall in the big scheme.

Definitely feels the most neo-soul-ish of the bunch and I think that plays more to Glasper's strengths than some of his other endeavors.

Which songs are your favorite so far?

-thebigfunk

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Sun Feb-27-22 09:06 PM

4. "RE: i liked it on first listen too"
In response to Reply # 3

>Definitely feels the most neo-soul-ish of the bunch and I
>think that plays more to Glasper's strengths than some of his
>other endeavors.

oh for SURE!

>Which songs are your favorite so far?

favorites are *

I was indifferent for "Black Superhero" as a single but for some reason I'm feeling it more in the context of the album

I absolutely dig the end of "Shine"

Q-Tip's FLOW on "Why We Speak" is my favorite thing of the year thus far haha

*"Over" was an instant fave. Dammit YEBBA!!!

*"Better Than I Imagined" is flames

*"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" is wonderful, but the beat change shook my soul. I absolutely love it.

*"Everybody Love" is such a sweet house/soul track that was completely unexpected, but so expertly crafted

I don't have strong feelings either way about "It Don't Matter" but it is a beautiful track and I think Ledisi and Greg sound great together. Same for "Heaven's Here". For "Out of My Hands"; I wish the whole track sounded like the outro lol and I also prefer the coda/outro to Forever" even tho it's just a jam. "Bright Lights" is also okay.

I didn't mean to make this post into *this* hahaa, but I was moved!

---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

welp

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Mar-04-22 07:02 AM

8. "RE: i liked it on first listen too"
In response to Reply # 4

>Q-Tip's FLOW on "Why We Speak" is my favorite thing of the
>year thus far haha
>moved!

Need to spend more time with the album overall but man, this is probably one of my favorite cuts of the year so far. Esperanza just *goes*: the vocal layers, the subtle musical change-ups, Q-Tip --- everything is just full and lush and perfect.

-thebigfunk

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 05:29 PM

5. "Elzhi - Strangeland (Produced by Georgia Anne Muldrow)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqVlq69vOZs&ab_channel=naturesoundsmusic

From their album coming out on 3/11.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Wed Mar-02-22 08:34 AM

6. "definitely excited about this one"
In response to Reply # 5

They should make a really good pair

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Wed Mar-02-22 09:40 AM

7. "a few picks from my to-listen-to list this week"
In response to Reply # 0

Haven't listened to these yet, just thought I'd share a few things I'm planning to check.

Elaquent - Bedtime Stories III: https://elaquent.bandcamp.com/album/bedtime-stories-iii

Talking Therapy Ensemble & Emma-Jean Thackray - Talking Therapy: https://ejthackray.bandcamp.com/album/talking-therapy
** I think this is more jazz/experimental leaning than her lp from last year but not sure

** Also, there was a remix companion album to Thackray's "Yellow" that came out a few weeks ago, haven't listened yet: https://ejthackray.bandcamp.com/album/yellower-vol-1

Nightmares on Wax - Remixed To Freedom: https://nightmaresonwax.bandcamp.com/album/remixed-to-freedom
** They had one of the unsung albums of last year, kind of bummed this remix ep only remixes two tracks -- wondering if they'll release more later

Sole & DJ Pain 1- Post American Studies: https://emergencyhearts.bandcamp.com/album/post-american-studies
** Gave a quick skim the other night, sounds super smart but also pretty dark and dense. Not sure if I'll get to this or not as I think I'll need to be in the right mood and headspace, lol.

-thebigfunk

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Sun Mar-06-22 07:26 PM

9. "Focus… - …"
In response to Reply # 0

New album by Focus…

… is the title. Looks like it dropped 2/23. Enjoying it. I like his production. His beats have their own distinct style/feel.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036882 Previous topic | Next topic