Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036806

Subject: "Name a rapper who has "evolved" more than Jay-Z?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Name a rapper who has "evolved" more than Jay-Z?"

I legit strongly disliked Jay-Z when I first heard him. I can remember hearing "Ain't No N*gga" for the first time and was like who is this corn ball?

I think I finally came around to enjoying him when I moved to NYC and the Blueprint dropped around that time. Then he gots points with me for becoming Roots Affiliated by the time he drops an unplugged album.

And then its been cool to watch him grow into this dread head family man taking pictures of his kid at the Superbowl and doing his last album with Jay Electronica.

2 Chainz is one of my favorite fun rappers. But when I listened to his latest "Dope Don't Sell Itself", I was like bro, you 44 and married, how you rapping about this same stuff?

I mean I wasn't surprised to see Kanye "evolve" to become a more spiritual rapper, that was always in his cards, but he also went crazy.

What funny is that a lot of the conscious rappers didn't change that much in the last 20 years. Common's my favorite, but he was so "evolved" at a younger age, he really hasn't found an interesting place to evolve to (does that make sense? Its not a common diss because the truth is in my mind Jay-Z evolved to where Common was 20 years ago).

Also, a feel like a few conscious rappers like Mos Def or Lupe, "evolved" to some next-level mysticism space where its hard to even relate to them.

Yeah the next most "evolved" rapper I can think of other than Jay-z is Nas. He also figured out like Jay-Z to embrace the Elder Stateman of Hip-Hop role.

Anyway, I think we have done "grown man rap" discussions where someone like Phonte is always mentioned before but I am thinking more of a rapper that started at one place and traveled the farthest as far as maturation.

Anyone else?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ha - you pretty much wrote my exact response as you went along.
Feb 22nd 2022
Common is holding back on us though.
Feb 22nd 2022
      Haha I wouldn't say that.
Feb 23rd 2022
Tyler.
Feb 22nd 2022
great pick
Feb 22nd 2022
For sure.
Feb 22nd 2022
Even with his early lyrics, he was always a real musical act
Feb 23rd 2022
Great ones.
Feb 22nd 2022
only credible comparison is the Beastie Boys
Feb 22nd 2022
Mac, 3K, Quik
Feb 22nd 2022
It's Snoop and it's not even close.....
Feb 22nd 2022
I mean I left him out the Convo because I just skimmed his last album
Feb 22nd 2022
Snoop's probably had the GOAT Career as a rapper
Feb 22nd 2022
      his catalog is so underrated
Feb 23rd 2022
      So many. Just needs to trim his albums. They're so bloated usually.
Feb 23rd 2022
      Easily Top 3 careers
Feb 24th 2022
I thought you were being sarcastic
Feb 22nd 2022
i'm gonna posit that the majority of Jay-Z's audience doesn't intersect
Feb 23rd 2022
      What does fanbase have to do with anything?
Feb 23rd 2022
I dig your observation about mos and i would describe it in the exact
Feb 23rd 2022
Same. I thought he was the One.
Feb 23rd 2022
Masta Ace and it's not even close...
Feb 23rd 2022
Yeah but this isn't really a most consistent artist post. Or even a mos...
Feb 23rd 2022
      I know. Ace is also the most evolved..
Feb 24th 2022
"I don't smoke weed or sess" - Dr Dre
Feb 28th 2022
Haha what's to wonder ? That's not at all atypical.
Feb 28th 2022
Nas
Feb 28th 2022
Arabian Prince.. back with a style that's hype.
Mar 01st 2022
Scarface?
Mar 01st 2022

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Ha - you pretty much wrote my exact response as you went along."
In response to Reply # 0

I saw your subject line and immediately thought of Common and Phonte, but had the exact same follow-up thoughts about them. That they were both so evolved and "mature" early on that their evolutions were quite different than what you reference w/Jay Z. And as you said, it's not a diss to either of them .. it's a compliment. But, at least in Common's case, it's made it hard for him to make interesting music as often as he used to because he's already said all that there is to say in so many different ways that his albums just don't hit like they used to. He's most interesting when he's just spitting (a la Pyramids ... but now that I mention it, Black America Again was a really great album so he still has it in him from time to time I suppose).

So yea I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who's evolved and changed in rap as much as Jay or Nas. That's partially because most rappers mostly disappear before 40, maybe ? I dunno.

>I legit strongly disliked Jay-Z when I first heard him. I can
>remember hearing "Ain't No N*gga" for the first time and was
>like who is this corn ball?
>
>I think I finally came around to enjoying him when I moved to
>NYC and the Blueprint dropped around that time. Then he gots
>points with me for becoming Roots Affiliated by the time he
>drops an unplugged album.
>
>And then its been cool to watch him grow into this dread head
>family man taking pictures of his kid at the Superbowl and
>doing his last album with Jay Electronica.
>
>2 Chainz is one of my favorite fun rappers. But when I
>listened to his latest "Dope Don't Sell Itself", I was like
>bro, you 44 and married, how you rapping about this same
>stuff?
>
>I mean I wasn't surprised to see Kanye "evolve" to become a
>more spiritual rapper, that was always in his cards, but he
>also went crazy.
>
>What funny is that a lot of the conscious rappers didn't
>change that much in the last 20 years. Common's my favorite,
>but he was so "evolved" at a younger age, he really hasn't
>found an interesting place to evolve to (does that make sense?
>Its not a common diss because the truth is in my mind Jay-Z
>evolved to where Common was 20 years ago).
>
>Also, a feel like a few conscious rappers like Mos Def or
>Lupe, "evolved" to some next-level mysticism space where its
>hard to even relate to them.
>
>Yeah the next most "evolved" rapper I can think of other than
>Jay-z is Nas. He also figured out like Jay-Z to embrace the
>Elder Stateman of Hip-Hop role.
>
>Anyway, I think we have done "grown man rap" discussions where
>someone like Phonte is always mentioned before but I am
>thinking more of a rapper that started at one place and
>traveled the farthest as far as maturation.
>
>Anyone else?
>
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 11:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Common is holding back on us though. "
In response to Reply # 1

Like my man is always making, I love my Black Queens songs, but dude can't seem to hold a girl down.

He got a whole lot of heat for breaking up with Tiffany Haddish and telling her one thing and telling the press another.

Instead of offering Platitudes, how cool would it be if he got really blunt in his music about what happened with him and Serena or him and Tiffany? I doubt it would happen because it would probably piss of some beloved women and mess wis his acting/hosting money, but it would make for good music.

Nas went deep into his relationship with Life is Good and made a beautiful album/song because of it. I am sure it pissed Kelis off, but it seemed honest.

As much as Talib speaks positivity, his non-rapping life seems chaotic. He should put some of that Choas in his music.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Haha I wouldn't say that."
In response to Reply # 2

Comm just recently disclosed on Let Love that he was sexually abused as a kid. He was also one of the first MCs to confront his homophobia publicly on "Between Me, You, & Liberation". He was also very very open about his relationship w/Erykah around that time.

I realize you were talking specifically about his recent relationships but I don't even know if I care to know what happened in those relationships. Nas opening up about his breakup w/Kelis on Life is Good was compelling primarily because that breakup was highly contentious. Comm always seems to want to keep things cordial, even if there are issues behind the scenes.

And now that I'm thinking about it, Comm *was* pretty upfront about most things Serena. He went @ Drake pretty aggressively (and cornily) and had that song "Lovin' I Lost" which was all about the breakup.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 12:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Tyler."
In response to Reply # 0

and also Mac Miller.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 01:04 PM

4. "great pick"
In response to Reply # 3

in Tyler's case he didn't just refine his subject matter, he got way better too. His career has been a joy to observe.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 05:24 PM

9. "For sure. "
In response to Reply # 3

I remember reading one of his early interviews and I thought there was something wrong with this kid mentally.

But he has blossomed nicely.

This kid of reminds me of Childish Gambino who started out with very sophomoric rap lyrics with heavy Kanye influences to being a real music act.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 01:42 AM

14. "Even with his early lyrics, he was always a real musical act"
In response to Reply # 9

I personally was impressed with the production he was doing for himself and the Odd Future crew from the beginning.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 10:33 PM

12. "Great ones."
In response to Reply # 3

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 01:06 PM

5. "only credible comparison is the Beastie Boys"
In response to Reply # 0

like Hov, they were (mostly) a big deal from the beginning and just became a bigger and bigger deal as they continued to evolve

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 01:42 PM

6. "Mac, 3K, Quik"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 04:34 PM

7. "It's Snoop and it's not even close....."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-22-22 04:34 PM by blueeclipse

Watching Snoop grow up and become what he is today is incredible. I'm a huge fan of his and he still has one of the most distinct voices and flows in hip hop.

He went from Doggystyle to No Limit to helping bring Dre back on 2001 to his Pharrell album run to buying Death Row.

And he's done it all without really compromising himself or selling out. He did what he had to do more times than not but he was always Snoop. Seeing a true OG Snoop and the wisdom he's always bringing is so dope.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 05:22 PM

8. "I mean I left him out the Convo because I just skimmed his last album"
In response to Reply # 7

from last week and it was a good nostalgia album but it sounded to me a lot like Snoop from 20 years ago.

I will admit I didn't listen to the songs closely (and I do have a East Coast Bias).

Sure outside of music Snoop has grown a lot and I am a fan but has he changed very much musically?

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 09:59 PM

11. "Snoop's probably had the GOAT Career as a rapper"
In response to Reply # 7

The first appearances on Deep Cover/The Chronic created an incredible buzz

This first Album broke sales records and is generally regarded as a classic

Got into legal trouble, went to jail and then got out and continued putting out even MORE hits and also getting hella acting roles and commercials.

And continued putting out DOPE projects the whole time; Rap, Gospel, Reggae, Country, R&B...

And yet somehow it seems like he never really CHANGED that much

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 12:10 PM

17. "his catalog is so underrated"
In response to Reply # 11

he has so many good songs.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 12:26 PM

18. "So many. Just needs to trim his albums. They're so bloated usually."
In response to Reply # 17

When he trims the fat (BUSH and Blue Carpet Treatment being great examples) he usually succeeds.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 08:31 AM

23. "Easily Top 3 careers "
In response to Reply # 11

I just don't think he fits into the category of evolved in his music.
Part of his success is knowing his lane and staying in it.

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4374 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 07:33 PM

10. "I thought you were being sarcastic "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-22-22 07:34 PM by javi222

Outside of his last album, Jay Z is one of the most repetitive rappers out there

If you are talking about MCs progressing to be more creative, new concepts etc
a couple come to mind…. MF Doom, Q Tip, Andre 3000, Aceyalone, Myka 9, Del The Funkee Homosapien, Aesop Rock, Kool Keith, Mos Def etc

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 12:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "i'm gonna posit that the majority of Jay-Z's audience doesn't intersect"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Feb-23-22 12:32 PM by wrecknoble

with Aceyalone, Myka 9, Del, or Aesop Rock's audiences

i audibly chuckled when i got past Andre in your list lol

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4374 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 01:28 PM

21. "What does fanbase have to do with anything?"
In response to Reply # 19

Unless I misunderstood the topic of this post, we are talking about artists that did not stay in their lane (musically) and evolved

someone like Jay Z is the last person I would call as an evolved artist…

MCs like Aceyalone , MF Doom have worked with different concepts, flows, content, genres etc…

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10142 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 12:23 AM

13. "I dig your observation about mos and i would describe it in the exact"
In response to Reply # 0

same way...im not as familiar with Lupe's journey. But man...IMO mos was poised to be one of the greats...dude has the delivery/raw talent and charisma of a chosen few. he can act (well) and play instruments. but dude seemed to be searching/drawn to something beyond the music...bro said fuck it and became a nomad (jay elec did the same) living in remote small villages in different corners of the globe...now he exhibits next level mysticism and its hard to relate lol. spot on

>Also, a feel like a few conscious rappers like Mos Def or
>Lupe, "evolved" to some next-level mysticism space where its
>hard to even relate to them.
>
>

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 11:51 AM

16. "Same. I thought he was the One. "
In response to Reply # 13

He was just the greatest marriage of consciousness, voice, street cred, musicality. Him and Kanye together on Two Words and talk of him working with Manny Fresh, I thought he was about to do even bigger things.

I will say, it does make sense that the more enlightened you become the more it would sense to just opt out of it (a la Lauren Hill).

What does seem crazy is Kanye reached the height of success and he seems still unhappy and unsatisfied and he still hasn't figured out more fame and more "things" won't make him happy.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 12:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Masta Ace and it's not even close..."
In response to Reply # 0

....and unlike, Snoop, Common & Jay-Z who have all dropped multiple absolute crap albums, Ace has been consistently dropping dope LPs since 90

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Wed Feb-23-22 01:34 PM

22. "Yeah but this isn't really a most consistent artist post. Or even a mos..."
In response to Reply # 20

improved artist post.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 09:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "I know. Ace is also the most evolved.. "
In response to Reply # 22

Take a look around > slaughtahouse > sittin on chrome > disposable arts

^^ The evolution of the artist between these 4 LPs is clear (no pun).

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

cal.25
Member since Nov 10th 2014
188 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 12:28 PM

25. ""I don't smoke weed or sess" - Dr Dre"
In response to Reply # 0

that line in 1988 to releasing the CHRONIC in 1992...

i guess an opposite example 'evolving' but I've always wondered about that line in Express Yourself and how it quickly that opinion of smoking changed for him

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 01:19 PM

26. "Haha what's to wonder ? That's not at all atypical."
In response to Reply # 25
Mon Feb-28-22 01:32 PM by Brew

>but I've always wondered about that line in Express Yourself

I swore an oath with my best friends at 15 that I'd never drink or do a single drug. I was smoking weed every day by the time I was 18 and have been a regular social drinker since that same age, and have tried countless other drugs.

Dre was obviously a few years older when he made his declaration that he didn't smoke but .. then he did. Humans do human things.

cidolfas
Member since Nov 29th 2006
2247 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 03:03 PM

27. "Nas"
In response to Reply # 0

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 11:10 AM

28. "Arabian Prince.. back with a style that's hype."
In response to Reply # 0

Not slow and low, it's the fast type.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianpenick/2020/07/07/music-tech-investor-perspectives-during-the-pandemic-and-recession-arabian-prince-of-nwa/?sh=429ee9676473

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18634 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 05:12 PM

29. "Scarface?"
In response to Reply # 0

Always a great writer and top level MC. But the content matured as the man matured. That’s what we’re largely talking about here, right? MC’s who don’t get typecast into doing the same thing on every album, but rather are allowed to grow as their audience grows with them?

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036806 Previous topic | Next topic