Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036786

Subject: "Has your Top 5/10 changed with respect to the length of hiphop's history" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sun Feb-20-22 08:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Has your Top 5/10 changed with respect to the length of hiphop's history"

I was thinking about how my Top 5 list has changed over the years.

Like back in 96, I would have had KRS, Rakim, Cube, Chuck, and maybe LL.

In '10, I might have had Biggie, Rakim, Jay, Nas & KRS.

Now, that list is Andre 3K, Nas, Jay, Black Thought, and maybe Kendrick.

The changes aren't necessarily because of revisionist interpretations, but more recontextualizing their music with the much lengthier history of hip-hop since the Golden Age.

Like I think many of the early Golden Age artists, like KRS (especially) and Cube's careers lost luster. Because they released more albums, the level of consistency from album to album dropped considerably.

And even those who came in at the tail end of the Golden Age, like Biggie, suffer because he only had two albums. For as outstanding as Ready to Die and half of Life After Death was, it's hard to justify comparing him to someone like Jay who had a larger body of work. Even if the peaks weren't as high as Biggie's.

I'm personally leaning towards creating lists based on eras. Like Golden Age, True School, modern era, etc. I think that way the list can remain true to both the old school artists who simply didn't have the knowledge to imagine forging a multi-decade career. And also to those who came after and aren't as original, but still carved out a unique style.

How do you view things?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm gonna come back to this because I have more to say but ...
Feb 20th 2022
Definitely stop back again
Feb 20th 2022
They should change
Feb 21st 2022
RE: They should change
Feb 21st 2022
      From a skill/quality of music level that's a great top 5
Feb 21st 2022
      RE: From a skill/quality of music level that's a great top 5
Feb 21st 2022
           That's fair
Feb 21st 2022
                RE: That's fair
Feb 21st 2022
      100% agree with this
Feb 24th 2022
           RE: 100% agree with this
Feb 24th 2022
Yeah Longevity was rarely a criteria for Top 5 twenty years ago.
Feb 24th 2022
the landscape just changed so much though
Feb 24th 2022
      Your average 30+ year "vet" still isn't better than Big L
Feb 25th 2022
a lot of weirdos added Eminem to their tippy top whatever lists...
Feb 25th 2022
Yes. The Golden Age still runs things tho.
Feb 25th 2022

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sun Feb-20-22 11:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'm gonna come back to this because I have more to say but ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... mine has changed over the years but it's more because I stopped giving the requisite respect to like Biggie and to a lesser extent, Tupac because I felt sorta obligated (as well as Rakim when I was way younger) and started just giving MY top 5 in terms of both talent and personal preference.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sun Feb-20-22 11:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Definitely stop back again"
In response to Reply # 1

I'd like to read your take.

It's been said about art that while there is subjectivity, there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to make it.

But I think what's right or wrong within MC-ing is so wide now that coming to a consensus, outside of ranking eras, is really difficult.

So, it does almost make more sense to just accept that objectivity is hard to gauge and just make an informed decision based on our own listening habits and tastes.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Feb-21-22 11:18 AM

3. "They should change"
In response to Reply # 0

If they don't, either the music hasn't advanced or you're stuck in your time.

The reason they change will vary from person to person. Some people only really weigh the positive for each artist. Meaning you're focusing on their best output and dismissing any late work they released that wasn't great.

Although Nas has usually been near most peoples top 5 if not in it I think he does keep making his case stronger and stronger with time.

I don't really spend too much time thinking of a top 5 because it is so subjective and any means you go about making it objective have too many flaws. I think like you said, you could do a top 5 per era. You could also make a top 5 based on just impact or skills or any other metric.

Rakim is one that I feel will always stay in my top 5 but I think that's more about being stubborn than the lack of advancement in skills. My justification is that Rakim not only had the skills but he elevated the game to such a degree that hasn't been matched since. So his impact plus his skill level was so much that he is hard to replace. I feel like most rappers that have had as big of an impact on how other rappers rap didn't elevate the skill they just made a style popular.

If you ask me what my top 5 is I would need to know under what parameters. If it is an overall "objective" list then it would probably include rappers I don't like or respect simply because it is hard to deny the amount of success they have had.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Feb-21-22 12:54 PM

4. "RE: They should change"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Feb-21-22 01:01 PM by spidey

The skill level has largely regressed. Very few are advancing the art of the MC. Drugged out sounding rappers have replaced true talent and skills AND MC's like them Griselda cats are doing what Wu, Mobb, Bootcamp, Nas,etc did better. Yes they are talented, but it's the same old tough guy/drug talk others before them did even more creatively/better. We are in a state of stagnance, where the few that come creative are largely ignored cause the art of it is just not as appreciated...my top 5 all time taking into consideration longevity/quality of work, mic presence, skill, wordplay, technique, beat choice, messages, concepts approached, and oh yeah, fuck mass appeal/record sales. No real order

1. Black Thought-greatest to ever touch a mic...
2. Rakim-simply the GOD...took the art to a new level
3. Pharoahe Monch-incredible MC...
4. MF DOOM-the definition of creative, true school MC
5. Aesop Rock-a new(er) edition to my top 5, just the depth of his catalog of work, and consistent quality...incredible artist...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Feb-21-22 01:08 PM

5. "From a skill/quality of music level that's a great top 5"
In response to Reply # 4

There are some others on the same level but none that you could seriously say are significantly better.

To me I would prefer to include Gift of Gab and One Be Lo over DOOM and Aesop but that's just preference.

I do think this list is very much focused on skill and ignores impact/influence too much. Doesn't make it invalid but I could see why others might not put any of them in their top 5.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Feb-21-22 01:24 PM

6. "RE: From a skill/quality of music level that's a great top 5"
In response to Reply # 5

...I just never bought into the impact/influence argument, as it's a fine line to popularity being weighed over true MC skill...again though, just my take...un questionably all 5 artists I listed above have been influenced by others, but they took it and came unique...the ability to do that use to be valued...

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Feb-21-22 02:15 PM

7. "That's fair"
In response to Reply # 6

I think one factor that is missing besides skills/impact is how much you relate to the music. Some of the songs that hit you that hardest are not very complex and don't require amazing lyrical skills. I think this is important and can't be dismissed. It is definitely subjective but if the music doesn't connect with you then it doesn't really matter how much skill was required to make it.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Feb-21-22 08:19 PM

8. "RE: That's fair"
In response to Reply # 7

I can dig that...I would say for a lot of people that's a given.

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4375 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 12:52 PM

11. "100% agree with this"
In response to Reply # 4

>MC's like them Griselda cats are
>doing what Wu, Mobb, Bootcamp, Nas,etc did better.
> Yes they are talented, but it's the same old tough guy/drug talk others before them did >even more creatively/better.

I feel the same way about freddie gibbs… the only thing that made him interesting to me was working with Madlib

None of the match up to hip hop artists from before

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 03:42 PM

12. "RE: 100% agree with this"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu Feb-24-22 03:51 PM by spidey

Truth...Gibbs is SUPER average, at best...only cat I'm feeling consistently doing that tough guy, hard shit is Roc Marci...His production is dope, and he comes creative with it. Ka got a little something too, a collaboration LP with the two would be a can't miss.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49418 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 08:38 AM

9. "Yeah Longevity was rarely a criteria for Top 5 twenty years ago. "
In response to Reply # 0

Because the only person who was putting out solid hits for over a decade was LL (and maybe KRS 1).

Now that rap is 50+, Longevity and Consistency have to be part of the criteria.

I will say though that consistency can be a bit overrated. If only your every 3rd album is fire is a problem if you only make 3 albums. If you make 15 albums though and have 5 fire albums, well, having 5 fire albums is a huge career achievement.

*looks both ways*, I've actually felt that way towards the roots. They usually have 2-3 songs per album that I love love. That may not sound like a lot, but in a 20+ year career, that's a whole lot of songs.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 08:57 AM

10. "the landscape just changed so much though "
In response to Reply # 9

The opportunity to have longevity is much different now. You can put your own music out and have at least some level of success, with no label pressure on what to make/put out. In the label/TV era, things were a lot different.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 03:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Your average 30+ year "vet" still isn't better than Big L"
In response to Reply # 10

..a rapper like Black Poet for example who's been on wax since 86 and still putting music out today is still very average and can't fuck with Big L's very short career ..longevity is kind of meaningless ..Paul McCartney still putting out music, he hasn't been good since Wings lol

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 03:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "a lot of weirdos added Eminem to their tippy top whatever lists... "
In response to Reply # 0

RAKIM
BDK
KRS
KOOL G RAP

These 4 will never leave the top 4... after that it's all debatable..

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 05:22 PM

15. "Yes. The Golden Age still runs things tho."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036786 Previous topic | Next topic