Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036558

Subject: "Red Hot Chili Peppers - Black Summer" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Feb-04-22 07:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Red Hot Chili Peppers - Black Summer"

https://youtu.be/OS8taasZl8k

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
don't think i like this
Feb 04th 2022
That jontz sounds like The Cranberries
Feb 06th 2022
they released two more singles
Mar 25th 2022
None of these do a thing for me. Dark Necessities was a banger
Mar 26th 2022
I like the first 2 - uh, the Peppers always had an edge of...
Mar 26th 2022
      Uh, who said anything about them being, uh, Soundgarden?
Mar 26th 2022
           Soundgarden to me is "going for perfection"
Mar 26th 2022
                Who said anything about "going for perfection"?
Mar 26th 2022
                     You said you liked the way the Peppers did "The Getaway"
Mar 26th 2022
                          You're making this tedious as fuck lmao
Mar 26th 2022
                               yep
Mar 26th 2022
I know we aren't getting hip hop at the Super Bowl every year so...
Mar 26th 2022
they did one a few years ago - unless you mean because John....
Mar 26th 2022
Tippa my tongue (Return of the Dream Canteen 10/2022)
Aug 19th 2022

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Feb-04-22 06:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "don't think i like this"
In response to Reply # 0

i really didnt like the singing for the first half. the instrumentation got interesting around halfway and gets pretty good. singing gets decent in the second half too. maybe it will grow on me.

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Sun Feb-06-22 02:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "That jontz sounds like The Cranberries "
In response to Reply # 0

meets Smashmouth meets Hendrix.

I’m fascinated by how disappointing they have become letting Keidis continue his bellowing, no matter who’s on guitar.
I really like Frusciante & Flea’s (& Chad Smith) chemistry because I grew up on “bands”, but Keidis is so burnt out creatively & talent wise (since after the Navarro album) that it is just painful to deal with.
I would rather hear Zach De La Rocha screaming about Bolivian Coffee Farmers Rights over this band, than anything that could ever come out of Keidis mouth ever again.

s.blak
Anthony Kiedis is basically the Drake of Rock Music

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Mar-25-22 11:19 AM

3. "they released two more singles"
In response to Reply # 0

Poster Child 3/4 (I missed this one)
Not the One today

I like both of these more than Black Summer. Black Summer has grown on me some but I really don't like how it starts. Poster Child is the fast vocals style with a funky beat while Not the One is more of a slow mellow song. The instrumentation on both is really good but nothing new.

I'm thinking I might actually enjoy the album now.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 12:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "None of these do a thing for me. Dark Necessities was a banger"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything about it was great. That beat is a killer and Kiedis was in rare form.

The album had serious gems, Sick Love being chief among them

But this shit is limp. It feels like Stadium Arcadium leftovers, and not in a good way.

This has none of the Peppers magic. I’m a big fan but this ain’t it.

c71
13962 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 07:55 AM

5. "I like the first 2 - uh, the Peppers always had an edge of..."
In response to Reply # 4
Sat Mar-26-22 07:55 AM by c71

...trashy-ness, meaning they weren't supposed to be Soundgarden "perfect" (Anthony's voice in particular)

So...

Them making tangentially off-shoots of their past with Frusciante (some say "Poster Child" is ripping off "walkabout" a track from "One Hot Minute" - the Navarro era) is, uh, probably what they should be "trashially" doing at this point.

Let 'em make some rip-off trash at this point, better than trying to be "above average"

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 10:27 AM

6. "Uh, who said anything about them being, uh, Soundgarden?"
In response to Reply # 5

>...trashy-ness, meaning they weren't supposed to be
>Soundgarden "perfect" (Anthony's voice in particular)
>
>So...
>
>Them making tangentially off-shoots of their past with
>Frusciante (some say "Poster Child" is ripping off "walkabout"
>a track from "One Hot Minute" - the Navarro era) is, uh,
>probably what they should be "trashially" doing at this
>point.
>
>Let 'em make some rip-off trash at this point, better than
>trying to be "above average"

Literally nothing you, uh, said, has anything at all to do what What I, uh, said.

c71
13962 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 11:02 AM

7. "Soundgarden to me is "going for perfection""
In response to Reply # 6

sorry the idea of "going for perfection" doesn't at any way at all relate to a reply that seemed to be commenting on "quality" and "approach"

sorry

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 01:40 PM

8. "Who said anything about "going for perfection"? "
In response to Reply # 7

Did my critique say anything at all about them going for perfection?

c71
13962 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 01:45 PM

9. "You said you liked the way the Peppers did "The Getaway""
In response to Reply # 8
Sat Mar-26-22 01:51 PM by c71

seemingly (for some "strange" reason to me...)

...that...

..it seemed like you "approved" of how Anthony improved his singing and the beats were sick and they "seemingly" (to me) TRIED to go for something "good" (maybe almost "like perfection")

I was saying that (unlike Soundgarden - who - to ME - definitely seemed to be going for "perfection") I APPROVE of the Peppers being rip-offs of their old stuff and "trashy"

So, again, me, I want the Peppers to be "trashy" "rip-offs" of themselves - no tries for perfection or "above average-ness".

I know you JUST wanted to state that "The Getaway" was very very good and that's it. PERIOD (comparison to the new music?)

but

I just had to say I want the Peppers to be "trashy" rip-offs nowadays at this point.

Everything that I reply to a person is not LOCKED in to what that person said - I was making my OWN point that I want the Peppers to go in the OPPOSITE direction of "going for perfection or 'above average-ness')

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 03:25 PM

10. "You're making this tedious as fuck lmao"
In response to Reply # 9

This is ridiculous.

Way too many quotes and parenthesis. Have a good one lol

c71
13962 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 03:38 PM

11. "yep"
In response to Reply # 10

yes

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 10:37 PM

12. "I know we aren't getting hip hop at the Super Bowl every year so..."
In response to Reply # 0

RHCP would make for a dope halftime show, just needed to type that out.

As for the new music, I'm waiting for the album drop....but I've seen more positivity around the internet than usual for the new singles.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

c71
13962 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 11:20 PM

13. "they did one a few years ago - unless you mean because John...."
In response to Reply # 12
Sat Mar-26-22 11:27 PM by c71

...wasn't in the band, it didn't count.

There's a video calling that half-time show "controversial":

Red Hot Chili Peppers Their Controversial Super Bowl Halftime Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz2tMkLtDBY

edit: I see they only did "give it away" because it was really Bruno Mars half-time show...but it was a little too much mess with it for another.

c71
13962 posts
Fri Aug-19-22 05:52 PM

14. "Tippa my tongue (Return of the Dream Canteen 10/2022)"
In response to Reply # 0

Tippa my tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1FNkf3MLKY

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/red-hot-chili-peppers-tippa-my-tongue-music-video-1234577925/

MUSIC
POLITICS

Red Hot Chili Peppers Go on a Psychedelic Journey in ‘Tippa My Tongue’
Song is the first look at the funk-rock powerhouse's upcoming album, Return of the Dream Canteen

BY KAT BOUZA

AUGUST 19, 2022

RED HOT CHILI Peppers are beckoning fans to join them on a magical (and raunchy) mystery tour with the release of the band’s new single, “Tippa My Tongue” — a sexually suggestive romp that evokes all the quintessential quirks of the California funk-rock outfit’s extensive catalogue.

Buoyed by a funk-laden bass groove from Flea and Anthony Kiedis’ sing-songy nonsense vocalizations, “Tippa My Tongue” offers the first glimpse of the Chili Peppers’ upcoming double LP, Return of the Dream Canteen, which drops October 14. The track is accompanied by an appropriately psychedelic music video, directed by repeat collaborator Malia James — who also helmed the band’s video for “These Are The Ways” earlier this year — which makes multiple references to dropping acid and features Seventies-inspired animation from Julien Calemard and Thami Nabil.

The song’s lyrics, however, focus more on the physical than the metaphysical, with Kiedis making no effort to mask the track’s true intentions in mind-bending metaphors. “I’m on the precipice/I come and make a mess of this,” he sings. “It’s the apocalypse/I try to get a sock of this/I’m at the county fair/Haystack ride, I’ll pull your hair.”

News of a new Chili Peppers album comes just months after the group released Unlimited Love — the band’s first record with fan-favorite guitarist John Frusciante since 2006 — making Return of the Dream Canteen the band’s second studio album to debut this year.

“We went in search of ourselves as the band that we have somehow always been. Just for the fun of it we jammed and learned some old songs,” the band said of Return of the Dream Canteen in a statement. “Before long we started the mysterious process of building new songs.” They added: “Once we found that slip stream of sound and vision, we just kept mining. With time turned into an elastic waist band of oversized underwear, we had no reason to stop writing and rocking. It felt like a dream.”

Red Hot Chili Peppers are currently on an expansive stadium tour of the U.S., where they’ve been joined by the likes of Haim, Thundercat, Beck, King Princess and the Strokes. The tour wraps September 18 in Arlington, Texas. The band has also revealed they will tour Australia and New Zealand early next year, with Post Malone providing support on all dates.

“We’ve written some of our best songs with these these four guys, and we do have something special,” drummer Chad Smith said of the tour in an interview with Rolling Stone last year. “It will be really exciting, and I see us not taking that for granted at all. As you get a little bit older, you appreciate it more. It’ll be a real joyful thing.”

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036558 Previous topic | Next topic