Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036433

Subject: "Biggest Rapper not repp'ing a major city. " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Jan-25-22 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Biggest Rapper not repp'ing a major city. "

I was going to make a post about how hard it is for DMV rappers (Cordae/Wale/IDK) to blow up majorly/distinguish themselves because they don't have a recognizable sound/accent/feel but it got me thinking about what rapper has been able to get the largest without really repp'ing a major city.

And I feel like there are two questions in there. One being name the biggest rapper who isn't from NYC/LA/ATL/Detroit/Miami/Houston/PHL/SF/Memphis (and maybe also Toronto).

But I guess I am asking the question is it possible for a rapper to blow up and NOT talk incessantly about their home city? Anyone do it?

I think about the Clipse (not from a major city) tried to rap about Virginia as a whole which I thought was strange to rep a whole state ( a song about bad news would be dope). J Cole raps about Fayetteville but, does it do anything for anyone?

Anyway, I think I am mudding up the original question. What do you think?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
does tech n9ne/kc count?
Jan 25th 2022
You're unfairly dismissing Cole.
Jan 25th 2022
Not a J Cole diss
Jan 25th 2022
mac miller - pittsburgh | dababy - charlotte | jack harlow - louisvlle
Jan 25th 2022
Gibbs/Gary
Jan 26th 2022
Griselda reps Buffalo...nm
Jan 27th 2022
E-40: Vallejo, CA
Jan 27th 2022
Heavy D (Mt Vernon) Rakim (Wyandanch) Grand Puba (New Rochelle)
Jan 27th 2022
Redman and Naughty (Newark), although they're really close to NYC
Jan 27th 2022
UGK - Port Arthur
Jan 28th 2022
Stove God Cooks - Syracuse
Jan 31st 2022
Phonte/Pooh
Jan 31st 2022
They definitely found a way to rap about NOT living in a major city
Feb 02nd 2022
Gibbs is huge, but in terms of location size, KRIT from Meridian MS
Feb 01st 2022
2Pac
Feb 02nd 2022

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Tue Jan-25-22 12:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "does tech n9ne/kc count?"
In response to Reply # 0

he's not mainstream at all, but he has a huge underground following

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Tue Jan-25-22 02:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "You're unfairly dismissing Cole."
In response to Reply # 0

While it's definitely true that there are plenty of folks who don't rock with him, you can't deny his place as one of the "big 3"

Nelly?
Wiz Khalifa?
Macklemore? (Regardless of what we think about him, was huge for a brief moment.)
Freddie Gibbs?
Griselda?
Trippie Redd?
NBA Young Boy?

And I don't know if Memphis counts as a major city.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Jan-25-22 07:43 PM

4. "Not a J Cole diss"
In response to Reply # 2

My point is more he isn't from a major city worth repping.
"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Tue Jan-25-22 07:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "mac miller - pittsburgh | dababy - charlotte | jack harlow - louisvlle"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-25-22 07:18 PM by bearfield

kodak black - pompano beach/ft lauderdale
rod wave - st petersburg/tampa bay
trippie redd - canton/cleveland
joyner lucas - worcester, MA

this is more common than you might assume, mostly due to the democratization of releasing music post-soundcloud/yt/bandcamp

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Wed Jan-26-22 02:12 PM

5. "Gibbs/Gary"
In response to Reply # 0

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Thu Jan-27-22 10:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Griselda reps Buffalo...nm"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Thu Jan-27-22 12:23 PM

7. "E-40: Vallejo, CA"
In response to Reply # 0

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57003 posts
Thu Jan-27-22 03:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Heavy D (Mt Vernon) Rakim (Wyandanch) Grand Puba (New Rochelle)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-27-22 04:04 PM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu Jan-27-22 07:11 PM

9. "Redman and Naughty (Newark), although they're really close to NYC"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-27-22 07:12 PM by obsidianchrysalis

But they're not as recognizable as, say, Jay or Big or OutKast who rep bigger cities.

I'd have to say Cole. Like Hitokiri (I think) said, J. Cole is one of the leaders of his generation. Looking back, outside of someone like Nelly or BONE or Sir Mix-a-lot bubbling up for an album or two, I can't think of a major star that didn't come one of the 'meccas.'

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

cal.25
Member since Nov 10th 2014
188 posts
Fri Jan-28-22 05:53 AM

10. "UGK - Port Arthur"
In response to Reply # 0

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Mon Jan-31-22 10:27 PM

11. "Stove God Cooks - Syracuse "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-31-22 10:34 PM by DJR

Ok, he’s not the biggest. Yet. But I gotta mention him as the one rapper from my area to really get on. He’s bubbling. Reasonable Drought and those two Westside Gunn albums he was all over got him on the verge. Next album could really put him over, if he produces. One dimensional content aside, he’s one of the most unique rappers I’ve heard in awhile in terms of style, voice and delivery. Punchlines are slick. Confidence and attitude are infectious. And he did Reasonable Drought with zero features. Every verse and hook was him.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Mon Jan-31-22 10:33 PM

12. "Phonte/Pooh "
In response to Reply # 0

Phonte’s from Greensboro. Pooh is from Northern Virginia(don’t even know what city?). They formed in Durham. That all works for this post.

And given the way they made it - which many of us were first hand observers of/participants of…..their influence on so many that came after them is just enormous. Developing a fanbase on the internet, smaller cities, relatable content with both a fresh edge and throwback aesthetic. Your favorite rapper’s favorite rappers(unless you’ve been on here, In which case you just skip the middleman). They might not be the biggest artist here in record sales, but in influence? They’ve got an argument.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Wed Feb-02-22 06:37 PM

14. "They definitely found a way to rap about NOT living in a major city"
In response to Reply # 12

My appreiciation for NYC rap grew immensely when I started living here and started to recognize all the places and NYC things they would drop in their rhymes.

Little Brother rapped about life in a non-major metropolis in ways that is relatable if you grew up similarly.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Feb-01-22 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Gibbs is huge, but in terms of location size, KRIT from Meridian MS"
In response to Reply # 0

Is probably the biggest compared to location, especially since Gibbs kinda became more of an LA guy in terms of what he repped and talked about as he got out of the blog nerd circles

But KRIT never really left Mississippi behind and comes from the seventh largest city in a state with one of the smallest large cities in the entire country. The fact that he got as big as he did and has remained fairly relevant is pretty intense.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Wed Feb-02-22 06:48 PM

15. "2Pac"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe because he bounced around so much as a youth, but never really repped a city.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036433 Previous topic | Next topic