Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036139

Subject: "artists selling they catalogs. $$ seem high/low/just right?" Previous topic | Next topic
FunkyBoss
Member since Aug 31st 2002
1198 posts
Mon Jan-03-22 06:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"artists selling they catalogs. $$ seem high/low/just right?"

I always assumed "rights" and "publishing" had crazy high value to it what with all the beef and bad feelings artists had with not owning they rights, getting jerked for they publishing and whatnot. but these big name rock stars selling they music and I see the money attached and it doesn't seem that much to me.

Springsteen $500 million
Bob Dylan 300 million
Neil YOUNG 150 Million for half
Bowie 250 million

when it says catalog sold I'm thinking they no longer have any control over their own music. Do i got that wrong?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not being able to do live shows has really affected many older artist
Jan 04th 2022
likely depends on how the market values that catalog.
Jan 04th 2022
I think R Kelly's catalog is worth buying.
Jan 06th 2022
I think they sell the music wholesale
Jan 06th 2022
if Springsteen is 500 I'm curious what MJ's would be, Beatles would be
Jan 06th 2022
It's hard to call.
Jan 06th 2022
RE: It's hard to call.
Jan 06th 2022

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Jan-04-22 08:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "not being able to do live shows has really affected many older artist"
In response to Reply # 0

that was there bread and butter
landscape is shifting and many of them want to set their families up incase anything happens
I know that was Neil Young's motivation
also many have clauses in the deal on ads and sampling (Young said no sampling, Bowie estate has to approve sample clearances...dealt with this last week)

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue Jan-04-22 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "likely depends on how the market values that catalog."
In response to Reply # 0

like rkelly's catalog is trash right now. last I saw, he was trying to sell it for like 2 mil. nobody wants to touch it.

it's probably also related to how much the artist is actually doing to manage the music. for big artists, that's a lot of work, even with a strong team. might not be worth that hassle anymore.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Thu Jan-06-22 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I think R Kelly's catalog is worth buying. "
In response to Reply # 2

Look I've been in a couple of parties and the DJ snuck in Ignition remix (with a disclaimer) and the crowd went nuts. Like people even enjoyed the transgressive nature of playing his stuff. It would be a good bet to buy his catalog now and think it 10 -20 years time his music still knocks and the next generation doesn't have the same association with his crimes.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Thu Jan-06-22 09:20 AM

4. "I think they sell the music wholesale"
In response to Reply # 0

so, say, Springsteen...his music can appear in commercials, TVs, movies, a broadway musical, etc and the decision isn't his where it's used anymore and he's already been paid

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Thu Jan-06-22 09:22 AM

5. "if Springsteen is 500 I'm curious what MJ's would be, Beatles would be"
In response to Reply # 0

there's catalogs bigger and more important than Springsteen's, ones with global appeal. What would Michael Jackson or the Beatles fetch?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Thu Jan-06-22 12:54 PM

6. "It's hard to call. "
In response to Reply # 0

There is this big wall street bet on catalogs and their value. Who knows if it will pan out or if its a fad like NFTs.

I would think though that the artist, and sophisticated long career artist like the ones named above would have the best historical data to do a valuation of their catalogs.

If artists can trick wall street into overpaying for their catalogs (and still have some control on how their works are used), more power to them.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

bc
Charter member
1183 posts
Thu Jan-06-22 07:02 PM

7. "RE: It's hard to call. "
In response to Reply # 6

Agree on a couple of points....
Some of these folks are looking at declining touring revenue right at times when they are probably looking to tour less as they age and frankly some of this is raw opportunism.

So who's catalogue is most valuable now?
Some monster catalogues might come up in the next 10-15 years if this continues:

Rolling Stones
Stevie
U2
Elton John

If Bruce is worth 550M the Stones has to be 700-800M?

respect,
bc

"my old boy from the Point but I'm from Southwest..."

"Are you really ready to carry some weight?,
Are you ready to design your fate?" -Kelvin Mercer

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036139 Previous topic | Next topic