Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3035769

Subject: "Your Old Droog - Space Bar" Previous topic | Next topic
doitall76
Member since Dec 01st 2002
476 posts
Mon Dec-06-21 03:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Your Old Droog - Space Bar"

How am I the first one to post about this? This album is crazy good. Melodic Beats and Droog goes hard.

Peace
Doitall76

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Your Old Droog - Space Bar
Dec 06th 2021
I really liked 'Time'
Dec 08th 2021
I’m the rap dame lillard. You the rap dame lillard.
Dec 08th 2021
"Cosmonaut" is def my favorite track on the album
Dec 08th 2021
      he pretended to be Nas though
Dec 08th 2021
           He didn't pretend to be anything
Dec 08th 2021
           this never happened. his voice is deeper than Nas'
Dec 08th 2021
           RE: this never happened. his voice is deeper than Nas'
Dec 09th 2021
           RE: this never happened. his voice is deeper than Nas'
Dec 10th 2021
           Never got the Nas' similarity, more like the Game IMO
Dec 13th 2021
                for the first time i heard the similarity last night
Dec 14th 2021
           strategically coy for sure
Dec 10th 2021
                RE: strategically coy for sure
Dec 10th 2021
                Nas' voice is higher pitched
Dec 10th 2021
It's grown on me a lot
Dec 08th 2021
I'm liking the direction in production on this one.
Dec 08th 2021
RE: Your Old Droog - Space Bar
Dec 10th 2021

spidey
Charter member
13119 posts
Mon Dec-06-21 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Your Old Droog - Space Bar"
In response to Reply # 0

Gonna peep tonight, appreciate the reminder...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 09:48 AM

2. "I really liked 'Time'"
In response to Reply # 0

This album underwhelmed on first impression. I kinda gave up after 'White Russian'. I'm generally not a huge fan of his themed albums. I'm good with just one Droog joint a year I think(even though I really liked both 'Tha Yod Fahim' and 'Time' this year).

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 02:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I’m the rap dame lillard. You the rap dame lillard. "
In response to Reply # 0

Lol.

I get the initial hate but I don’t mind droog man. *shrug*

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 02:52 PM

5. ""Cosmonaut" is def my favorite track on the album"
In response to Reply # 3

a few bars later:

And real ones, they feel us
This for all the guys tryna do donuts 'fore they die like J Dilla

>Lol.
>
>I get the initial hate but I don’t mind droog man. *shrug*

I "get" the initial hate, in that I understand people's argument, but I really don't "get" it in a sense that aside from his voice being similar (which he can't control) he raps nothing like Nas.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4872 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 04:00 PM

6. "he pretended to be Nas though"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Dec-08-21 04:01 PM by Stadiq

Look, I'll admit white rappers have a higher hill to climb to convince me.

Its not impossible. I'm a huge El-p fan....but due has always been himself.

This dude caught a buzz off pretending to be an alter ego. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't know this dude. He'd be a Soundcloud page with 1200 listeners.

I just...I can't. There's rules. And they should apply to everyone.

It doesn't help that I am never impressed by his guest spots that I am forced to hear.

And he is a straight up sensitive dweeb on Twitter.

Most importantly? Bottom line if Droog wasn't white he would not be getting this attention. He would never have been forgiven for pretending. Ask anyone from the Realest to Guerilla Blak to whoever that dude was that sounded like Jay.

White dudes get away with gimmicks and I don't get it. Eminem's shock raps are a gimmick. They got a pass. Droog caught the net's attention on the "is it nas?" gimmick. Gets a pass.

I dont get it.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 04:12 PM

7. "He didn't pretend to be anything"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed Dec-08-21 04:24 PM by Oak27

He posted music essentially anonymously given he had no prior work and people on the internet speculated it was Nas using an alter-ego. At no point did Droog lean into it and "pretend" to be Nas.

The reason he blew up initially from Soundcloud was an article written for Mass Appeal, a media company Nas was a part of lol

edit: Can't argue the sensitive dweeb on Twitter part, and he certainly has lots of dumb lines that would aged bad if they were rapped in the 90s, but are just flat out ignorant and dated in 2014+

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 05:25 PM

9. "this never happened. his voice is deeper than Nas'"
In response to Reply # 6

the web went crazy over a minor similarity, but that aside he's still around because he's vastly improved at rapping and making music over the past few years. Tha God Fahim (who ironically sounds a bit like Cormega to me) brought new energy to his career

doitall76
476 posts
Thu Dec-09-21 03:42 PM

10. "RE: this never happened. his voice is deeper than Nas'"
In response to Reply # 9

The guy that sounded like Jay-Z was Black Haze.

I definitely don't believe that he was trying to sound like Nas. That is like saying that Action Bronson was trying to purposely sound like Ghostface. Their voices were just similar.

And I never saw any kind of communication from Droog pretending to be Nas. Most of it came from people speculating that Nas was releasing material under a different name, and people that it was dope, but then they later found out that the speculation was wrong. There was a lack o information on Droog, not misinformation on his part.

I liken it to Sault who isn't out there, they are just letting their music do the talking and speak for itself.

Peace
Doitall76

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Fri Dec-10-21 11:34 AM

14. "RE: this never happened. his voice is deeper than Nas'"
In response to Reply # 10

>The guy that sounded like Jay-Z was Black Haze.

Also NOE from Jim Jones' ByrdGang and Dame Dash & Black Keys' BLAK ROC album sounded very much like Jay. He was dope, but the similarity really held him back from getting very far.

JtothaI
Charter member
17132 posts
Mon Dec-13-21 07:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Never got the Nas' similarity, more like the Game IMO"
In response to Reply # 9

I never got the Nas sound alike. If anything, whenever one of Droogs songs comes on my shuffle, I think it's The Game.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Tue Dec-14-21 11:36 AM

17. "for the first time i heard the similarity last night"
In response to Reply # 16

i had my 2021 playlist on shuffle while driving. i had the navigation so dont have track info. blue hawaiian came on and i instantly recognized it was droog. im vibing while paying attention to the hectic traffic. as the verse is ending i notice the song again and im like wait who is this? is this a track from the new nas album???? when i stopped i checked and saw it was droog lol

he usually sounds like a much simpler mf doom to me.

i enjoyed this new album and i have enjoyed most of his albums since i started listening to him in like 2017 or 2018. i havent gone back to check his early work and i missed when he was being compared to nas.

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Fri Dec-10-21 04:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "strategically coy for sure "
In response to Reply # 6

they on your head but the way i remember it he let that rumor live a lil longer then he had to.

tru said his voice is deeper lol. his buns dont got no seeds! golden ARCS! lol im dyin. them niggas definitely sound/rap similar. that was the whole point of the hubbub. letting a rumor simmer for a buzz aint really that wild though imo. he got some cool bars over some cool beats here and there, not much else im putting on it.

doitall76
476 posts
Fri Dec-10-21 10:33 AM

12. "RE: strategically coy for sure "
In response to Reply # 11

As much as I don't like bringing shine to DJ Vlad, but here is an interview with Droog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx0U5uHaW-M

If you are getting publicity and interest in the music, I can't hate Droog from letting the train go. It would be stupid from a business perspective to stop the publicity if it isn't hurting Nas. People will eventually find out.

Peace
Doitall76

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Dec-10-21 11:27 AM

13. "Nas' voice is higher pitched"
In response to Reply # 11

Droog sounds like Nas with a head cold

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "It's grown on me a lot"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-08-21 02:44 PM by mrhood75

I'm a big fan of "Time." And I like "Tha YOD Fahim" a lot. This one didn't really grab me at first, but I've enjoyed it more on further listens.

It does seem more like an EP than a fully realized album. Which is a little weird, because he's said he's been working on this one since like 2017. But, hey, it's the fourth project that he's been a part of this year, and there's a good amount of dope shit on there.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 05:16 PM

8. "I'm liking the direction in production on this one."
In response to Reply # 0

This and the Evidence album sound great to me.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Fri Dec-10-21 08:38 PM

15. "RE: Your Old Droog - Space Bar"
In response to Reply # 0

He is sneakily building a great catalog

Lobby The Lesson topic #3035769 Previous topic | Next topic