Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034908

Subject: "theory: Drake was never the same after the Meek Mill battle" Previous topic | Next topic
Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 09:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"theory: Drake was never the same after the Meek Mill battle"

Sure, Drake's bigger than ever. But if you look at how strong, inspired, and consistent the work was up until the Meek battle I think you can point to that moment as the moment when Drake stopped making authentic decisions.

Sure he survived the battle. Hell, he actually won it which is weird when you consider the impetus for it (Back 2 Back still kicks ass)

But his shit all sounds like it's tested in front of focus groups now, and the content is less earnest than it's ever been. In trying to figure out where he stopped challenging himself and instead focused on just maintaining his status I think it really starts at the Meek Mill battle.

Meek Mill sucks btw.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I feel like he became a lot more bitter and guarded after the Pusha T
Sep 30th 2021
there may be some merit to this but also
Sep 30th 2021
      I've wondered if "CLB" will age like "Dynasty"
Sep 30th 2021
           i hope this rings true!
Oct 01st 2021
Maybe because there was no W for him to begin with
Sep 30th 2021
All Drake seems to care about now is stream numbers
Sep 30th 2021
definitely part of it, you can hear it
Sep 30th 2021
maybe
Sep 30th 2021
FIXED: theory: Drake has always sucked ass
Oct 01st 2021

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I feel like he became a lot more bitter and guarded after the Pusha T"
In response to Reply # 0

skirmish.

I feel like the Meek Mill battle made sense and was a traditional rap battle. Meek felt like he was subtley dissed by a Drake verse. He reacts and they in an old school battle that eventually ends and then they cool and doing songs together.

But that Pusha T battle where Kanye and Pusha T sneak attack him out of know where and used shit he confided in them about that affects his money, that seems dirty and messed with him in a way he seemed changed by it. Listen to the first couple of albums versus his last two albums, Drake seems a lot more bitter and don't seem to love the life the way he use to (same thing happened to Kanye too).

However, you might be on to something if Drake stopped using ghostwriters after Meek called him out and the ghostwriters were making him better. *shrugs*

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 09:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "there may be some merit to this but also"
In response to Reply # 1

Drake has now been releasing studio albums for over 10 years, so it may just be that he's less inspired than the first half of his run so far

The closest comparison I see is Jay-Z (in terms of mainstream longevity and superstardom in rap) and even he started to release less consistent work after 10 years:

Reasonable Doubt came out in 1996. 10 years later (2006), he released Kingdom Come. And since then, most of his albums have had big hits included on them, but are less likely to be played all the way through or considered classic. His last album, 4:44 (2017), felt more like a return to form in terms of a concise, complete, album.

Drake may be going through a bit of that as well with regards to being comfortable as one of the biggest pop artists in the world. But I do agree that his work has a more bitter tone since the Pusha-T and Kanye beef.

Personally, I'd like to see him do a shorter project that returns to the introspective Drake vibe (rapping and singing) over some soulful beats. As opposed to the jaded, bitter, but still on top of the world shit he's been on for the past two albums. They have bangers on them, but I'm not playing them from front to back.

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

Tiger Woods
18385 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 12:05 PM

5. "I've wondered if "CLB" will age like "Dynasty""
In response to Reply # 2

like Dynasty is actually pretty good, albeit uneven. It still yielded massive hits. But the noise around that album at the time was "more of the same old shit"...he'd return with The Blueprint - new producers, new flows, probably his most complete body of work

I think/hope Drake is the same impasse. He CAN'T possibly make this same Views/Scoprion/CLB album AGAIN can he?

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "i hope this rings true!"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Oct-01-21 09:24 AM by wrecknoble

i would love for him to stop chasing the streaming numbers (bloated albums) and just put out something concise that has a consistent theme/mood/sound

i agree with the statement in your later post that NWTS was probably his last great "complete" album in that sense

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 11:16 AM

3. "Maybe because there was no W for him to begin with"
In response to Reply # 0

Meek put Drake on blast for using a ghostwriter
there wasn't a W for him there
and probably got his feels hurt when he realized how many people don't f with him and/or feel the same way about him violating
but that's just my opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 11:43 AM

4. "All Drake seems to care about now is stream numbers"
In response to Reply # 0

Every album since NWTS (his last good album IMO) has been bloated to the point where it's clear he's just trying to get as many songs on a project as possible so that he can get more streams.

Tiger Woods
18385 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 12:07 PM

6. "definitely part of it, you can hear it"
In response to Reply # 4

That's such a cynical way of making music isn't it?

"NWTS" is easily the last great Drake album and maybe his best album ever (assuming "If You're Reading This..." isn't a traditional "album")

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5464 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 02:26 PM

7. "maybe"
In response to Reply # 4

i like scorpion a lot - but did it need to be a double? nah. could have used some editing.
but in fairness i feel that way about almost every double album

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 10:19 AM

9. "FIXED: theory: Drake has always sucked ass"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3034908 Previous topic | Next topic