Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034887

Subject: "Anniversaries - 25th illadelph halflife | 30th The Low End Theory" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Sep-28-21 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anniversaries - 25th illadelph halflife | 30th The Low End Theory"
Tue Sep-28-21 06:45 PM by obsidianchrysalis

There wasn't a post about the anniversary of these classics.

What are your thoughts about these albums now?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted, I was a young teenager when The Low End Theory came out, but it seemed like a quantum leap, at least production-wise. There were hip-hop songs that used jazz before. But those tracks sounded like an MC rhyming over a jazz song.

The Low End Theory was the first album that sounded like a jazz act playing hip hop. We've all heard the album so there's no use in highlighting it. But from top to bottom it was a ride few albums in hip hop have taken its listeners on.

I prefer Midnight Marauders, but as far as an artistic statement, The Low End Theory is part of a handful of albums that truly changed how the public appreciates hip hop.

I don't go back to the album much - there's only so much newness to find in an album that I've heard countless times. But when I do, it's always a good time. Makes me appreciate just how talented they were to create something that was both trendsettinga and timeless at such an early age.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think illadelph halflife is the first example of a trend The Roots would show time after time in their career - metamorphizing their sound and themes from album to album.

It was stunning to hear their sound change from happy-go-lucky kids with a dream to add a unique signature to hip hop to grizzled veterans with a clear vision of a new path they wanted their audience to follow.

There might have been a post not too long ago about an act transforming from album to album. And for all the times The Roots stunned us all by finding interesting threads in the trends of the moment and throwing them on their head, this turn from jazz to heavier themes may be the best executed.

Yes, the band sounded more traditionally hip hop and as a result, dropped some of their zeal to revolutionize their genre. But they took a leap on all fronts - production, lyricism, versatility and realized their potential as artists who can explore any sound and create memorable music from it.

15 remarked that illadelph halflife is the band's stab at capitalizing on the path Wu blazed. And there are similarities there. At least on tracks like It Don't Stop and UNIverse at War. But the band's approach made their sound more of an homage than mimicry. Also, What They Do and Push Up Ya Lighter are distinct enough from anything Wu has done to dismiss any claims The Roots bit Wu's style.

It is similar to The Low End Theory in that IH revolutionized the idea of what a live band could do on record, at least in hip hop.

Thought showed how monstrous he can be. Not that he wasn't stellar through any of the albums. Maybe it stunned me because he displayed a level of skill that was hard to predict solely based from listening to Do You Want More. I'm not a big Common fan but I sense Thought's development was similar to Common's from his first album to his second.

I don't remember much about my personal feelings about the album immediately after its release. I do know I liked all the singles and likely bought it not too long after it dropped.

Do You Want More stood out because the idea of a live band playing hip hop was novel. IH stands out because it did feature live instrumentation, but it was executed at a very high level in a way that few people may have realized was possible.

I haven't gotten back to IH in a long time. I'll probably break it out now.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Low End Theory is like my 2nd-3rd fav rap album ever
Sep 28th 2021
Happy 23rd to Aquemini
Sep 29th 2021
These numbers make me shake my head though
Sep 29th 2021
      For reals doe
Sep 29th 2021
2 of my favorite albums
Sep 30th 2021
illadelph always makes me think of Malik. Respond React is still my shi...
Sep 30th 2021

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Tue Sep-28-21 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Low End Theory is like my 2nd-3rd fav rap album ever "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-28-21 08:01 PM by DJR

And I do still go back to it fairly often.

Illadelph is a great album but haven’t played it in awhile. I have it just barely behind TFA as my favorite Roots album. Need to break that out again. I always missed Malik’s rapping after he left. He and Thought were a great duo.

RIP Malik and Phife.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Wed Sep-29-21 05:21 PM

2. "Happy 23rd to Aquemini "
In response to Reply # 0

https://creativeloafing.com/content-168326-The-Making-of-OutKast-s-Aquemini

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Wed Sep-29-21 06:09 PM

3. "These numbers make me shake my head though "
In response to Reply # 2

These albums are as old to high schoolers as what like...What’s Going On? and Innervisions were to me when I was a teenager. Blows my mind.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Sep-29-21 09:12 PM

4. "For reals doe "
In response to Reply # 3

Same here… I think about that all the time.

Crazy

Mack
Charter member
7372 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 08:36 AM

5. "2 of my favorite albums"
In response to Reply # 0

these are my favorite albums from each group.

"Dressed up like an evil villain dressed up like a soccer dad"

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 12:48 PM

6. "illadelph always makes me think of Malik. Respond React is still my shi..."
In response to Reply # 0

and Thought and Com on UNIverse....whew

Low End Theory...still high science, high art showing the possibilities of the art, connecting it fully to a parent art...showing us the future

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3034887 Previous topic | Next topic