Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034647

Subject: "New Release Friday 2021-09-17" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Sep-17-21 10:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday 2021-09-17"

Haven't had much time to dig around yet -- what's everyone looking for?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Nate Smith/Kinfolk - Kinfolk 2: See the Birds
Sep 17th 2021
RE: Nate Smith/Kinfolk - Kinfolk 2: See the Birds
Sep 17th 2021
a few releases of interest around here:
Sep 17th 2021
I prefer the "I wanna be Dilla/Dangelo" Jordan
Sep 18th 2021
      i don't know him well enough
Sep 23rd 2021
Stokley 'Sankofa'
Sep 18th 2021
no start with the first one
Sep 18th 2021
      Noted.
Sep 19th 2021
some random notes
Sep 23rd 2021

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Sep-17-21 10:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Nate Smith/Kinfolk - Kinfolk 2: See the Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember folks liked the Kinfolk album a year or two ago. Some cool guests: Brittany Howard, Vernon Reid, Stokley, Regina Carter.

Should be a good listen!

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Sep-17-21 01:35 PM

2. "RE: Nate Smith/Kinfolk - Kinfolk 2: See the Birds"
In response to Reply # 1

This was really good overall! I thought it picked up after the first two or three tracks. Really liked the tracks featuring Regina Carter, Vernon Reid (shit was heavy!), and especially the closing track with Brittany Howard, which was just beautiful.

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Sep-17-21 01:53 PM

3. "a few releases of interest around here:"
In response to Reply # 0

Moor Mother - Black Encyclopedia of the Air
Jordan Rakei - What We Call Life

and maybe the really big release of the week...
Injury Reserve - By the Time I Get to Phoenix

I've never really paid much attention to them but their single "Knees" sounded so unique and demanded your attention, I listened to it like three times in a row. (Probably out of sync with my mood in its dark/aggressive character, so not sure when I'll get to a full listen but excited for when I do...)

-thebigfunk

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sat Sep-18-21 05:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I prefer the "I wanna be Dilla/Dangelo" Jordan"
In response to Reply # 3

vs. the "I've finally found my own sound" Jordan.

I know a lot of young artists do this: copying their idols until they develop their own sound.
But this self discovery isn't for me anymore.
Wallpaper was the last LP I copped, haven't checked for him since.

https://digife.com

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Thu Sep-23-21 08:33 AM

9. "i don't know him well enough"
In response to Reply # 4

to have had that disappointment, lol. I need to dig a bit further back, I think.

He's never blown me away but he works with a lot of favorites so he's always popping up on something for me. First impression of this record didn't do much for me - a lot of it felt very middling - but there were a few cuts that stood out, most notably "The Flood" made me stop and pay attention.

https://youtu.be/WujkBBK7pPU

His voice there sounds like something between Jeff Buckley and Anohni (Antony and the Johnsons) and the song itself is a real ride, very hard to pin down and sort of any easy genre description. It's worth the whole 7 minutes and even a repeat listen or two -- there's a lot to dig into.

Having perked up at that one I promised I'd go back and listen to the rest again soon but haven't yet...

-thebigfunk

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sat Sep-18-21 05:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Stokley 'Sankofa'"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.istokley.com/

Earlier this year I saw a video/song on his IG page that was crazy.
I'm assuming this is that album. I never checked his previous solo album,
but I may start with this.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Sep-18-21 11:22 PM

6. "no start with the first one"
In response to Reply # 5

it's a whole vibe, and the second one is like desert. trust me

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sun Sep-19-21 11:12 AM

7. "Noted."
In response to Reply # 6

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Thu Sep-23-21 08:23 AM

8. "some random notes"
In response to Reply # 0

Singles/random tracks:

Open Mike Eagle w/Armand Hammer prod. Quelle Chris - "Burner Account" - (on spotify, couldn't find a youtube link)

Holy shit, this was really good. OME snapped and the beat just goes. Nice Ndegeocello reference. I'd love more tracks like this from him for sure.

Quantic and Nidia Gongora - "Vuelve" - https://youtu.be/DlQJ4GkLWkE

This is the third song released from them this year and the work they're putting out is SO SO GOOD: very 70s-soul inspired with big horn and string arrangements, intentionally epic even at its more stripped-down moments, and it all really works. Arthur Verocai might be a good reference in terms of sound but Quantic puts his own spin on it in terms of percussion; it's all pretty unique. This track is a big piece that starts simple but grows and grows with horns and string orchestration that's straight out of a 70s soul tune. I think I liked the other two tracks a bit more but it's all fire and I'm crossing my fingers that a full album is on the way.

North Mississippi Allstars feat Son Little and Valerie June - "Up and Rolling - https://youtu.be/x1mw13b3r20

I haven't thought about NMA in ages but this was on my release radar and came on this morning without me seeing the artist. Liked it right away, then recognized Valerie June on the track and went to check the credits. I almost wrote that there's nothing revolutionary going on here - that it's just a cool groove - but there's actually something funky going on with the beat/sampling/plucking behind the chorus. That said, it *is* a fun performance -- maybe we'll get more from these folks together.

Kay Young and JNR WILLIAMS - "I've Got You" - https://youtu.be/1LgZouqdDNc

I've been trying to find anything from JNR WILLIAMS on it because his voice is ridiculous but was unfamiliar with Kay Young. I'm terrible at distinguishing between dance genres but this was really dope, fits in with JUNGLE (who also had a remix this week from Gaspard Auge of "Keep Moving" that is worth checking out for sure). The video version on youtube is shorter than the single (on spotify anyway), with the full version coming in around 5' 15"

That's enough for now rambling for now, lol.

-thebigfunk

Lobby The Lesson topic #3034647 Previous topic | Next topic