Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034483

Subject: "New Radiohead? If You Say The Word" Previous topic | Next topic
spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Sep-07-21 07:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"New Radiohead? If You Say The Word"

I guess this is from the Kid A/Amnesiac era because of the artwork. Just went up on Spotify. Sounds good to my ears.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Radiohead? If You Say The Word
Sep 07th 2021
reminded me of "the stranger song" by leonard cohen
Sep 08th 2021
Thanks for the info
Sep 08th 2021
RE: New Radiohead? If You Say The Word
Sep 17th 2021
Thom Yorke and Stanley Donwood (the artist)
Sep 27th 2021
How To Disappear Completely has to be their best song, right?
Nov 08th 2021
Has been my favorite since the day Kid A was released
Nov 09th 2021
If you have a Playstation or PC, you should download the interactive pie...
Nov 22nd 2021
      That sounds really dope.
Nov 23rd 2021
      If people can't get it, I recorded the last hour of me messing with it
Nov 23rd 2021
      Thanks for the reminder.
Nov 23rd 2021
the new release is really nice to have
Nov 09th 2021

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Tue Sep-07-21 09:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: New Radiohead? If You Say The Word"
In response to Reply # 0

>I guess this is from the Kid A/Amnesiac era because of the
>artwork. Just went up on Spotify. Sounds good to my ears.
>
>Peace,
>
>Spirit (Alan)
>http://wutangbook.com

https://xlrecordings.com/buy/radiohead-kidamnesia

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Robert
Charter member
4112 posts
Wed Sep-08-21 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "reminded me of "the stranger song" by leonard cohen"
In response to Reply # 0

(the minor-chord fingerpicking)--or like that song ran through a Kid A carwash (heh)

cool to hear something new direct from that peak era/time for them.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Wed Sep-08-21 12:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Thanks for the info"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice

spidey
Charter member
13119 posts
Fri Sep-17-21 01:06 PM

4. "RE: New Radiohead? If You Say The Word"
In response to Reply # 0

Enjoyed that....good lookin out...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Mon Sep-27-21 07:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Thom Yorke and Stanley Donwood (the artist)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEXXnWusOg

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 02:49 PM

6. "How To Disappear Completely has to be their best song, right?"
In response to Reply # 0

They've had some great moments. But as a pure work of art, I think How to Disappear Completely is them at their best. (and unfathomably sad)

I think Thom said in a recent interview that the strings of How To Disappear Completely is one of the moments he hopes to be remembered by.

And they are beautiful in a haunting way. I was listening to the song the other day and noticed layers that I never picked up a number of years ago.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
681 posts
Tue Nov-09-21 01:06 AM

7. "Has been my favorite since the day Kid A was released "
In response to Reply # 6

Hauntingly beautiful and takes you to another place entirely,

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Nov-22-21 11:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "If you have a Playstation or PC, you should download the interactive pie..."
In response to Reply # 6

There's a lot to enjoy about it, but in particular there's a space you can enter that kicks off a medley of "How to Disappear Completely", "Pyramid Song" and "You and Whose Army?" that is pretty bonkers to experience first hand.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Nov-23-21 01:31 AM

10. "That sounds really dope. "
In response to Reply # 9

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Nov-23-21 11:45 AM

11. "If people can't get it, I recorded the last hour of me messing with it"
In response to Reply # 10

Starting with that entering that medley:

https://youtu.be/8NZb-9G0Ba8

I also wrote a bit more detail about it elsewhere:

This is perhaps the most Radiohead thing they've ever released - spasmodic, fractured, self-reverential, self-effacing, austere and in shambles all at once. Circa 2000s Stanley Donwood art blown up to be big and tall and admired but intentionally pulled from low resolution scans lest ye forget what the 2000s looked like, bathed in Unreal Engine lighting so pristine at times you forget you're not playing a hipster P.T. - you're never in danger, but sometimes turning a corner can feel quite spooky.

Again, if you're not a fan of this band or don't have the controller in your hand there might not be much there for you since that's all there is to it, being a fan of the band with a controller in your hand, but if you're any kind of music nut it might still be worth checking out.

While this is old music and nostalgia does a lot of heavy lifting here, the exhibit also acts as a sort of self-guided walking tour through liner notes, discarded concept art, throwaway lyrics, Windows Media Player visualizers and cavernous rooms that play out like interactive stem manipulators that's pretty novel. While Radiohead is special in that Unlimited Money kind of way, I doubt they'll be the last band to do this, nor that someone will someday DEBUT an album with something like this attached.

Oh and one last thing: if you're a full on sicko, yes, you can just linger in the "Hunting Bears" room forever and let those mangy guitar notes serenade you until you pass out.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Tue Nov-23-21 12:03 PM

12. "Thanks for the reminder."
In response to Reply # 9

This'll give me something to actually use my PS5 for. Hope I can remember to download it when I get home tonight.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Nov-09-21 10:08 AM

8. "the new release is really nice to have"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't even made it through the whole thing yet but just listening to Kid A and Amnesiac, top to bottom and closely, for the first time in a long time made me glad this is being released.

I go long stretches never listening to any Radiohead and then every few years am reminded to check in. They're one of the few bands that I feel like every return visit feels genuinely new. Listening to Kid A this time, with full attention and on better speakers than I've had in a while, felt like returning to an old friend but also something totally new.

"everything in its right place" is still one of my favorite album openers of all time but I don't think I've ever noticed how *weird* it is as an album opener. On a good pair of headphones or speakers, it comes off as just a production marvel, all the synths and vocals and bloops and beeps channeling in and out at just the right depth that it feels like you've stepped into a landscape.

I can't wait to dig more deeply into the extras but I'm just grateful to come back to them after a few years away. Might give their discography a start-to-finish listen soon.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Lobby The Lesson topic #3034483 Previous topic | Next topic