Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034100

Subject: "New Release Friday 2021-08-20" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday 2021-08-20"

Cleo Sol will probably get the most attention for good reason. What else is out there?

A few things I've seen:

Blu x Mickey Factz x Nottz - The Narrative EP

Damu released another single, "Enchanted Spirits" with Insight. That makes three recent singles, God Speed w/Blu and Four Better or Worse w/Nitty Scott being the other two -- hopefully that means a full-length is coming. (He and Raw Poetic did "Big Tiny Planet" EP this year, too, haven't checked that yet.)

Seeing some other singles but not a ton of full-lengths of interest on the hip hop/r&b side of things. What's everyone checking out?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Blu/Mickey/Nottz
Aug 20th 2021
Tiwa Savage - Water and Garri EP
Aug 20th 2021
Quickly, Quickly
Aug 20th 2021

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 10:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Blu/Mickey/Nottz"
In response to Reply # 0

>Blu x Mickey Factz x Nottz - The Narrative EP

I liked this a lot on first listen --- some good features too (including from Kota, despite the trouble he's been in...), although I don't know whose ignorant ass anti-vax lyrics got included on track 3. Solid beats and rhymes though all the way through.

If you didn't check it when it dropped, go back to Blu's "For Sale" EP from earlier, too. That dropped the same week as Skyzoo so I think it got a bit overlooked, but it's great. As much as I liked Miles from last year, I think lyrically Blu does better on these smaller EP projects.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 11:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Tiwa Savage - Water and Garri EP"
In response to Reply # 0

Name came across my Twitter feed and I spent a few minutes listening to the sample on iTunes.

I dig it.

She's got big features behind her too (NaS, Brandy...)

Not sure I'm copping anything else for the rest of the year.
That Cleo Sol set me BAAAACK! Ha.

https://digife.com

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Fri Aug-20-21 08:51 PM

3. "Quickly, Quickly"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice pop-rap/soul so far. Something you could imagine current-day Stones Throw putting out.

https://quicklyquickly.bandcamp.com/album/the-long-and-short-of-it

Any Paul Barman fans? He released a new album as YOUNGMAN (Paul Barman with a half-assed New-York accent?) Good beats. His rhymes have grown on me, but he's not trying to dazzle with wordplay/dense writing nearly as much here.

https://mcpb.bandcamp.com/album/a-year-of-octobers

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3034100 Previous topic | Next topic