Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3033678

Subject: "Isaiah Rashad - The House is Burning" Previous topic | Next topic
rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 04:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Isaiah Rashad - The House is Burning"
Fri Jul-30-21 04:36 AM by rmcphedr

https://open.spotify.com/album/6TQ8nqw43uUOWu7Yqp58ko?si=BFxkea5yTTiL4Sq1jdETVA&dl_branch=1

First spin through, this one is more consistent that 'Sun's Tirade' but with lower highs. Nothing as good as '4r da squad' 'Free Lunch' or 'Wat's wrong'... let alone 'Heavenly Father'. HB2U is dope tho.

He is moving into his own sound though - verging on pop at times; lots of catchy hooks and 808s. Beats are nice on this, without being overly memorable.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
5 years...finally
Jul 30th 2021
sometimes i feel like he doesn't want to be a recording artist
Jul 30th 2021
There were like a dozen interviews & articles about his addiction issues
Jul 31st 2021
His rapping has taken a nosedive
Jul 30th 2021
Yep. Sounds like an album of interludes
Aug 02nd 2021
      RE: agree
Aug 02nd 2021
it's ok
Jul 31st 2021
tough crowd here.
Aug 03rd 2021
I really, really wanted to like it
Aug 03rd 2021
      everyone what? nah
Aug 03rd 2021
           RE: half
Aug 04th 2021
                strong disagree
Aug 04th 2021
So TDE is open for business again huh?
Aug 03rd 2021
I wonder about Ab-Soul
Aug 03rd 2021
      that Dangerookipawaa Freestyle tho!
Aug 04th 2021
not explicitly related to this album but apparently he was outed?
Apr 17th 2022
I think for the most part people didn't care as long as he was good
Apr 17th 2022

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 03:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "5 years...finally"
In response to Reply # 0

Cilvia Demo and The Sun's Tirade are two of my favorite albums ever, can't wait to dive into this all weekend

--------

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 04:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "sometimes i feel like he doesn't want to be a recording artist"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-30-21 04:29 PM by bearfield

maybe i'm reading too much into his progressively lax delivery and huge gaps between albums. maybe he's just a top tier procrastinator. i haven't been impressed with any of the singles from this album but a listen might reveal some quality deep cuts. he's usually good for a couple of those

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Sat Jul-31-21 11:49 AM

5. "There were like a dozen interviews & articles about his addiction issues"
In response to Reply # 2

as being the driving force behind the gap between the last album and this one.
So I mean... more like you're projecting heavily than "reading in to"

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

daskap
Member since Oct 17th 2003
6981 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 08:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "His rapping has taken a nosedive"
In response to Reply # 0

Alot of these "songs" sound half baked

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4878 posts
Mon Aug-02-21 01:26 PM

6. "Yep. Sounds like an album of interludes"
In response to Reply # 3

>Alot of these "songs" sound half baked

I kept waiting for them to build to an actual song.

rmcphedr
501 posts
Mon Aug-02-21 03:48 PM

7. "RE: agree "
In response to Reply # 6

That half baked hook on the track with Jay rock smh

bearfield
8050 posts
Sat Jul-31-21 04:18 AM

4. "it's ok"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-31-21 04:33 AM by bearfield

kind of forgettable tbh. musically it seems to reside in the same general area as sun's tirade (i.e., that mid-south/appalachia recontexualized-semi-recognizable-sample-from-a-90s-rap-song style that isaiah tends to favor.) i guess this is a good thing but i'm not sure what this project does instrumentally that sun's tirade didn't already do. maybe evolving or switching up wasn't a priority for him. this album does seem like good wallpaper music; you can have on in the background and pay attention to it every now and again and still enjoy it a lot. isaiah's rapping (patterns, schemes, flows) is pretty mediocre throughout but he is nestled in these nice little pockets most of the time. he never tries to do too much on any song and truly works within the confines of the instrumentals. after one full listen i found that the lyrics aren't particularly good or memorable. i didn't hear any jaw dropping pithy lines like some of the ones on sun's tirade and cilvia demo. not even anything really adjacent to that. the lyricism struck me as concise but lacking depth, like he pared it back so much that it became muddy instead of blurry. not so much dropping it off so the listener can pick it up but just vague and and uninteresting. i'll have to give it another go for a deeper examination of the lyrics but i can't say i'm super motivated to do so. i did really like 'rip young' but not much else stood out to me

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 09:13 AM

8. "tough crowd here."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I like a lot of the guest features, and I really can't get over how good Claymore is.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4878 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 10:50 PM

11. "I really, really wanted to like it"
In response to Reply # 8

His first got a lot of burn from me. He was my 2nd favorite TDE at that point. I had him over Soul, Q, all of them.

Everyone sort of agrees his 2nd one was disappointing.

This is much, much more like the 2nd one.

Each track sounds like an interlude that should lead to a song...then it doesn't.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 11:58 PM

12. "everyone what? nah"
In response to Reply # 11

>Everyone sort of agrees his 2nd one was disappointing.

The Sun's Tirade is essential

--------

rmcphedr
501 posts
Wed Aug-04-21 10:15 AM

13. "RE: half"
In response to Reply # 12

the other half was zzzz

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Wed Aug-04-21 12:10 PM

15. "strong disagree"
In response to Reply # 13

although I can see why people who *only* rock with Cilvia Demo dislike THIB

The Sun's Tirade is messy, beautiful, introspective and personal -- Zay won't ever be in a place to record something like that again (which is a good thing), but the album that came from that struggle was amazing

--------

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 10:35 AM

9. "So TDE is open for business again huh? "
In response to Reply # 0

The album is okay, he really did water down the raps to stay current but that's fine.

More importantly this means albums from everyone else should be coming. No disrespect to Rashad but SZA's album should've dropped long before his.

Really hope we get new Ab-Soul, Q and of course Kenny soon.

(watch because I typed this SIR drops next 😂)

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 12:04 PM

10. "I wonder about Ab-Soul"
In response to Reply # 9

He was really the number two of the first wave of TDE. A lot of folks preferred Control System to anything else they'd put out at the time.
And the fall off has been crazy. These Days and DWTW both got lukewarm receptions at best (I didn't like either project), and he's only had 5 guest appearances in the past 5 years. Zay said he was sitting in on THIB studio sessions, but this dude has just been... absent.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

spitfire
Charter member
1510 posts
Wed Aug-04-21 11:33 AM

14. "that Dangerookipawaa Freestyle tho!"
In response to Reply # 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5rBKu9IaRc

I played this a LOT this last year

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://vintagesoulmusic.tumblr.com
http://vintagehiphopmusic.tumblr.com
http://onetwann.tumblr.com

bearfield
8050 posts
Sun Apr-17-22 01:46 PM

16. "not explicitly related to this album but apparently he was outed?"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm just now finding this out via his intro at coachella

https://pitchfork.com/news/isaiah-rashad-acknowledges-apparent-outing-for-the-first-time-at-coachella-2022/

https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/u5ik0h/the_opening_of_isaiah_rashads_set_at_coachella/

firstly fuck anyone leaking videos of intimate acts between consenting adults. secondly he seems to be ok or at least well enough to perform at coachella and address it, if somewhat obliquely. i hope a weight has been lifted from his shoulders. it must have been incomprehensively difficult to have to repress those feelings and thoughts within three traditionally homophobic separate but overlapping subsets: black men (specifically gen x and boomers), southerners, and rappers. it's one thing for tyler and nas x to come out in liberal LA and NYC but zay comes from the belly of the bible belt. it's a whole different culture and response down there when it comes to homosexuality. does this make him the first openly gay (assuming he makes such a statement publicly) male rapper from the south not named big freedia?

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sun Apr-17-22 06:17 PM

17. "I think for the most part people didn't care as long as he was good"
In response to Reply # 16
Sun Apr-17-22 06:17 PM by Mafamaticks

The newer generation don't give a fuck about any of that. I feel most millennials don't really give a shit either. Whoever does have a problem with it are mostly likely too old to matter anyway.

>does this make him the first openly gay (assuming he makes such a statement publicly) male
>rapper from the south not named big freedia?

He could be bi. Either way don't make me no never mind. With the way he handled it, it seems like dude was just living his life and the people who needed to know knew already. For anybody else it was none of their business.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3033678 Previous topic | Next topic