Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3033486

Subject: "I wish we woulda gotten more of "zany" Dr.Dre" Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Sun Jul-18-21 10:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I wish we woulda gotten more of "zany" Dr.Dre"

The beats he did on the 2nd Eminem album is some of my favorite post Efil4zaggin production from him. The 2 beats he did on the 1st Em album and the "Break Your Neck" with Busta was ill too. Him and Timbo doin a whole album together woulda been dope too.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Mostly anything cartoon-ish is a good type of thing
Jul 19th 2021
I Think "Break Ya Neck" Was A Scott Storch Beat
Jul 19th 2021
Yep. That's what I'm saying.
Jul 19th 2021
      The album credits tell most of the story for Dre’s stuff.
Jul 19th 2021
Am I the only one who feels like something's off on Relapse?
Jul 20th 2021
Listening now
Jul 20th 2021
      LOLLL
Jul 21st 2021
           I'm listening right now
Jul 30th 2021
                The second verse of Hello is one of my favorite Em verses
Aug 02nd 2021
                     Yea that song is one of the highlights for sure.
Aug 03rd 2021

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Mon Jul-19-21 05:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Mostly anything cartoon-ish is a good type of thing"
In response to Reply # 0

yep

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Jul-19-21 05:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I Think "Break Ya Neck" Was A Scott Storch Beat"
In response to Reply # 0

...and Mel-Man produced all of the so-called Dr. Dre produced beats on Em's 2nd album "Marshall Mathers" so what you're saying is you want to hear more Mel-Man & Scott Storch production, I wish Mel-Man had a chance to release his solo album on Aftermath, not sure why it got shelved cause dude was good rapper too.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Mon Jul-19-21 06:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Yep. That's what I'm saying."
In response to Reply # 2

Glad you bought that up. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Question what did Dr.Dre do technically if anything production wise on any of the aforementioned stuff?

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Mon Jul-19-21 10:09 PM

4. "The album credits tell most of the story for Dre’s stuff. "
In response to Reply # 3

Like on the Marshall Mathers LP most of the Dre produced songs list him and Mel-Man on production. For those Mel-Man likely made the beat, with Dre having input on the drums and handling the mix.

Dre would also lead the collaboration with musicians like Mike Elizondo and Tommy Coster who would play live instruments on beats. Dre would handle the recording and mixing of that along with giving them notes on what to play (though Mike Elizondo would often also get writers credit for baselines he came up with.) All of this isn’t to be taken lightly because that mix of live bass/keys along with programmed drums really created a signature sound for that Aftermath era - from 2001 through the work with 50 Cent, Game, etc.

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Tue Jul-20-21 01:07 AM

5. "Am I the only one who feels like something's off on Relapse?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's completely produced by Dre..but the beats ain't phenomenal.

OKdamn
1314 posts
Tue Jul-20-21 03:40 PM

6. "Listening now"
In response to Reply # 5

I take it back. This is better than anything he's made since. I gotta get a grip on my impulse posting lol..

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Wed Jul-21-21 03:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "LOLLL"
In response to Reply # 6

>I take it back. This is better than anything he's made since.

If I'd seen your first post in time I'd have said exactly what you just said above. It's his last good album. It's not great by any means; the typical, longstanding complaints about the stupid accents is real and legitimate.

But this is his last listenable album, his last truly focused effort. And re: Dre's production I actually always thought this album was vintage Dre, even after it was first released and I, like everyone else, wasn't really feeling it. On repeated listens I came to appreciate the soundscape that Dre gave Em for this one. Em wanted a serial killer feel and theme, and Dre gave him exactly that sound from front to back. On their own merits, the individual beats may not stand up to Dre's best, not even close (Deja Vu being the only true standout IMO, that I can recall). But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - it's a true listening experience from a production standpoint.

All of that said, I don't want to overstate anything - it's still not a great album by any means, it's just pretty good and has some moments. I'm just saying that it's better than we all gave it credit for at the time, and has aged better than anything Em has released since. And Dre's production fit the theme that Em wanted to a T.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

OKdamn
1314 posts
Fri Jul-30-21 04:21 PM

8. "I'm listening right now"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Jul-30-21 04:31 PM by OKdamn

The problem with Relapse is the mix. These beats should feel much bigger. Dre brought the fire. Eminem is spitting flames.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Aug-02-21 05:12 PM

9. "The second verse of Hello is one of my favorite Em verses "
In response to Reply # 8

It’s pretty funny.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Tue Aug-03-21 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Yea that song is one of the highlights for sure."
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Aug-03-21 10:41 AM by Brew

And yea that 2nd verse is hilarious.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby The Lesson topic #3033486 Previous topic | Next topic