Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3033216

Subject: "the new Tyler the Creator album is really good" Previous topic | Next topic
Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"the new Tyler the Creator album is really good"

easily some of the best mainstream production and bars you'll hear this year. I've never really dug him, and I was especially turned off by Odd Future early on...but this guy is on a Beastie Boys-esque growth track. I'm really surprised by how fully realized some of these songs are conceptually too - he's got an 8 Minute epic on here about falling in love with his buddy's girlfriend ("WILSHIRE") that's so clearly thought out it reminds me of something Nas or Andre 3000 would've done, or something Kendrick would do now.

Highly recommend

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If you haven't done so already
Jun 28th 2021
You nailed it. All his stuff is worth a listen but I'm glad he matured l...
Jun 28th 2021
i think this is the biggest 180 ive done on an artist
Jun 28th 2021
Nah he definitely got way better
Jul 03rd 2021
word?
Jun 28th 2021
Funny that you mention both Kendrick and Andre
Jun 28th 2021
Yea even the little video he did to tease the album was reminiscent of ....
Jun 28th 2021
pretty much
Jun 29th 2021
Was the sound/volume wonky on other people's copy?
Jun 29th 2021
Re: Nas
Jul 03rd 2021
I remember an interview where Tyler was interviewing Nas
Jul 03rd 2021
My Ears lit up when I heard that Gravediggaz beat
Jul 03rd 2021
can't own no loops. most likely homage
Jul 03rd 2021

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1199 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 04:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If you haven't done so already"
In response to Reply # 0

you owe it to yourself to revisit dude's entire catalog. If the OF-era stuff (Goblin) isn't for you, I can dig it...and it took a good while for him to mature lyrically out of his Slim Shady phase...but Tyler's been creating at a very high level for a really long time.
I haven't gotten around to this new one yet, but the last two projects were immaculate. Looking forward to it.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 04:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "You nailed it. All his stuff is worth a listen but I'm glad he matured l..."
In response to Reply # 1

Because like you said, the last two projects were *exceptional*, whereas the first few suffered from sophomoric lyrics while still showcasing his brilliance both on the mic and behind the boards.

Excited to check out this new one.

>you owe it to yourself to revisit dude's entire catalog. If
>the OF-era stuff (Goblin) isn't for you, I can dig it...and it
>took a good while for him to mature lyrically out of his Slim
>Shady phase...but Tyler's been creating at a very high level
>for a really long time.
>I haven't gotten around to this new one yet, but the last two
>projects were immaculate. Looking forward to it.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 05:56 PM

3. "i think this is the biggest 180 ive done on an artist"
In response to Reply # 0

first heard him on goblin on the recommendation of a coworker that didnt like rap (except for typical white college type stuff). i didnt like it at all. didnt bother checking for him again until flower boy. at that point dude was still putting out music and getting critical acclaim. i dont know if i heard a single or just based on the positive reviews i decided to check it. loved it. loved igor, love this one.

i definitely need to go back and check out his catalog. i want to know if my taste was off back then or if he has grown this much. based on the comments in here so far it seems its mostly that he has grown but there have always been glimpses into his creativity.

i love how he is making unique music. hes taking elements from many different places and coming up with his own thing that sounds current and innovative.

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 11:40 AM

10. "Nah he definitely got way better "
In response to Reply # 3

Tyler's old shit is just flat out bad compared to this

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 06:37 PM

4. "word?"
In response to Reply # 0

this post and these comments have convinced me to give it/him a go. I really only know early OF-era Tyler—and barely even that, really. I think I listened to an episode of the Discect podcast based on one of his tracks and that got me thinking there may be more to his music than I originally thought.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 07:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Funny that you mention both Kendrick and Andre"
In response to Reply # 0

Because my initial thoughts about this album were that 1. It's DAMN inspired. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else say it yet, but Kendrick did the mixtape album thing 4 years ago on his album of mainstream/current production and beatswitches. And 2. Wilshire is Tyler's "A Day In The Life of Benjamin Andre"

This albums is great though. Immediately an AOTY contender.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Jun-28-21 09:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Yea even the little video he did to tease the album was reminiscent of ...."
In response to Reply # 5

The Love Below-era 3k. All the pink, the clothes he was wearing, the "about a girl" thing.

I'm sure it's Andre-inspired. And that's dope. Excited to check out this album.

>Because my initial thoughts about this album were that 1.
>It's DAMN inspired. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else
>say it yet, but Kendrick did the mixtape album thing 4 years
>ago on his album of mainstream/current production and
>beatswitches. And 2. Wilshire is Tyler's "A Day In The Life of
>Benjamin Andre"
>
>This albums is great though. Immediately an AOTY contender.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Jun-29-21 09:18 AM

8. "pretty much"
In response to Reply # 5

the dj stuff definitely reminded me of damn and i dont think worked as well on this. wilshire for sure seemed like a nod or inspired by a day in the life. doesnt take away from how good it is.

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Tue Jun-29-21 07:15 AM

7. "Was the sound/volume wonky on other people's copy?"
In response to Reply # 0

I got this off Amazon, and throughout it seems like the volume keeps going up and down

Other than that really enjoyed it

Was pleased to hear Domo Genesis on this, after reading the credits my Boy Teezo Touchdown was on this and I didn't even realize it

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 11:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Re: Nas"
In response to Reply # 0

Has anyone commented on Manifesto using Nas' beat from Nazareth Savage? I wonder what that was about.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 11:42 AM

11. "I remember an interview where Tyler was interviewing Nas"
In response to Reply # 9

(or the other way around) and Tyler brought up that song and how much he really fucked with it. It shocked Nas 'cause he felt nobody brought that song up

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 12:45 PM

12. "My Ears lit up when I heard that Gravediggaz beat"
In response to Reply # 9

on Lumberjack

This album was all over the place beat wise, in a GOOD way

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Sat Jul-03-21 03:15 PM

13. "can't own no loops. most likely homage"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat Jul-03-21 03:15 PM by bearfield

it's not uncommon for millennial rappers to reference or directly sample gen x bars and beats

Lobby The Lesson topic #3033216 Previous topic | Next topic