Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3033009

Subject: "New Release Friday 2021-06-18" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday 2021-06-18"

At first glance this looks like a genuinely quiet week -- probably good as I think next week has a few bigger drops. Still, I'm sure there's stuff out there. What's everyone looking for?

Share what you've been listening to, too... I've been taking some time to revisit the last few months and start compiling a twelve-track "best of 2021 so far" type playlist. It's been a great year so far, lots to revisit and continue enjoying.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Release Friday 2021-06-18
Jun 18th 2021
only 12 songs???
Jun 18th 2021
i'm treating it as a bit of a challenge
Jun 18th 2021
      ill definitely be interested in seeing/hearing it
Jun 18th 2021
my digs...
Jun 21st 2021
yes - thanks for this
Jun 22nd 2021
      you're not the only one
Jun 22nd 2021
RE: New Release Friday 2021-06-18
Jun 21st 2021
yeah I've been using lastfm a lot more again
Jun 22nd 2021
      I wrote some script to scrape my last.fm and create a Spotify playlist
Jun 22nd 2021
           RE: I wrote some script to scrape my last.fm and create a Spotify playli...
Jun 22nd 2021
                used python
Jun 22nd 2021

nuszik
Charter member
587 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: New Release Friday 2021-06-18"
In response to Reply # 0

Looking forward to checking out Goldlink's HARAM! - seems he's pivoted to the murky and dense sound of Akai Solo, Mavi, Mike et al. I could be wrong but that was the impression I got from his single drops. I'm curious to see what he does with the sound.

Also looking forward to checking out Piers James, A Dying Breed pt.II
https://open.spotify.com/album/4R7QiRMZ4JyCCeOlSLrq0o?si=YRz-IfttQNq-zn2ImjueHQ&dl_branch=1

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 10:27 AM

2. "only 12 songs???"
In response to Reply # 0

I used to make mixes of about 20 songs per quarter, then one final one at the end of the year. Made to fit on CDs. Now I struggle to make a playlist that has less than 100 songs for the year.

I aim for 50 songs but I haven't been able to cut it down so much.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 11:22 AM

3. "i'm treating it as a bit of a challenge"
In response to Reply # 2

I figured narrowing down to about 2 tracks a month would be tough but fun. Might have to up it to about 3 or 4 tracks a month though, lol.

I tend to throw everything and the kitchen sink into my best of/favorite lists so I figure really working on a more chiseled list is useful.

-thebigfunk

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Jun-18-21 12:00 PM

4. "ill definitely be interested in seeing/hearing it"
In response to Reply # 3

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 06:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "my digs..."
In response to Reply # 0

These are all singles except where it says (LP) at the end. Got some more to go through for the week, just haven't had the time.

Dojo Cuts - Return of the Switchblade
Wale ft Chris Brown - Angles
Rebelution - In the Moment (LP)
Cordae ft Common - What's Life
Orgone - Dreamer
Method Man ft Jones Ink - Day One
Conor Albert ft MAc Ayres Moonlight
Diana Ross - Thank You
D-Nice ft Kiana Lede - Rather Be
Jacquees ft Queen Naija - Bed Friend
Dave B - All Falls Down
Sabina Ddumba ft Cherrie - Coast and Damn Good Woman
Sevyn Streeter ft Chris Brown & Asap Ferg - Guilty
Men I Trust - Lucky Sue
The Shindellas - Volcano Love
Majid Jordan - Been Through That / Waves of Blue
H.E.R. ft Cordae - Trauma

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 07:31 AM

8. "yes - thanks for this"
In response to Reply # 5

Am I the only person who has mixed/undecided feelings about H.E.R.? Like I'm supposed to like her but something hasn't grabbed me yet and almost turns me off -- maybe this new lp will help me make a decision, lol.

I'm not mad at two Cordae appearances though.

-thebigfunk

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 06:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "you're not the only one"
In response to Reply # 8

I tried by adding this album cut to my "fresh for the week" playslist I make every week, but I skipped it when it came out. Not feeling it as much as my first listen.

Went back through the very long album, and wasn't really feeling any of it.

Her singles have been hit or miss for me.

Damage does still go for me, as do all the many remixes I have found on soundcloud.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Mon Jun-21-21 09:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: New Release Friday 2021-06-18"
In response to Reply # 0

... I've been taking
>some time to revisit the last few months and start compiling a
>twelve-track "best of 2021 so far" type playlist. It's been a
>great year so far, lots to revisit and continue enjoying.

This is honestly the only reason I keep my last.fm account still going. I use the statistics to measure out my "Best Of" playlists. I don't do just 12 songs though..ha. I've been going at it 11 years strong now. It's kinda fun to go back to 2010 to see what songs I was obsessed with.

https://digife.com

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 07:29 AM

7. "yeah I've been using lastfm a lot more again"
In response to Reply # 6

And that's been really nice. I tend to be an album listener though and try to listen to new albums a few times at least (unless I just absolutely don't like them) -- so everything winds up being 3 or 4 plays, at least for the first month or two, and then I'm a bit more likely to dig into specific songs on repeat

-thebigfunk

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 10:42 AM

9. "I wrote some script to scrape my last.fm and create a Spotify playlist"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Jun-22-21 10:44 AM by Oak27

At the end of every month I run it to create a playlist of my most played tracks for the month.

Spotify has an auto-generated "On Repeat" playlist, but I don't particularly understand the algorithm, since it doesn't take in just the most recent few days/weeks. I've had tracks stick around on that playlist that I had hardly played in a month, but played it a lot the month before, so I feel like it takes that into account.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 11:19 AM

10. "RE: I wrote some script to scrape my last.fm and create a Spotify playli..."
In response to Reply # 9

That script is a great idea -- what'd you write it in?

I'm actually working on an app that will let you compile a playlist from what your friends have recently played. Using React (which is new to me) so it's taking longer than it probably should, lol --- using it mainly for practice but figure it will be fun/useful.

-thebigfunk

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Tue Jun-22-21 11:22 AM

11. "used python"
In response to Reply # 10

There's a good spotify package for python called spotipy. Don't remember if I couldn't find one for last.fm or not, but for last.fm I just found the API endpoints that I needed and went from there.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3033009 Previous topic | Next topic