Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3032503

Subject: "New Release Friday 2021-05-21" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri May-21-21 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday 2021-05-21"

Really don't what's out today, will be doing my weekly virtual dig later.

What's everyone checking for?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Listened to Mach-Hommy - Pray for Haiti on the way to work
May 21st 2021
yes! forgot this GAM was dropping
May 21st 2021
Pray for Haiti goes.
May 22nd 2021
Skyzoo - St. James Liquors new single is great
May 21st 2021
RE: Skyzoo - St. James Liquors new single is great
May 21st 2021
      Been playing Bed-Stuy is Burning heavily
May 21st 2021
Allison Russell - Outside Child
May 21st 2021
Patrick Paige II – If I Fail Are We Still Cool?
May 21st 2021
I really liked it
May 21st 2021
masego - studying abroad: extended stay
May 23rd 2021
i think ive listened to songs hes done in soundtracks and other such alb...
May 24th 2021
Navy Blue - Navy's Reprise
Jun 15th 2021
MIKE - Disco!
Jul 04th 2021
I mess with this.
Jul 04th 2021

KnowNaim_X
Member since May 14th 2005
2531 posts
Fri May-21-21 11:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Listened to Mach-Hommy - Pray for Haiti on the way to work"
In response to Reply # 0

Solid release.

Gonna check out Georgia Anne Muldrow's "Vweto III" later on.

"When I'm on the mic, a nigga throw down his blunt just to hear what we say...up in this bitch..."-Baatin

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri May-21-21 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yes! forgot this GAM was dropping"
In response to Reply # 1

>Gonna check out Georgia Anne Muldrow's "Vweto III" later on.

Listening now and enjoying it so far, but her albums usually take a few listens to really start to hit for me (I mean that in a good way).

-thebigfunk

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Sat May-22-21 11:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Pray for Haiti goes."
In response to Reply # 1

https://digife.com

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Fri May-21-21 11:30 AM

2. "Skyzoo - St. James Liquors new single is great"
In response to Reply # 0

Really excited for that album.

Patrick Paige II (from the Internet) - If I Fail Are We Still Cool? is really good. It has a few tracks I'm not feeling but I really liked most of it. Definitely want to give it more listens.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri May-21-21 12:04 PM

4. "RE: Skyzoo - St. James Liquors new single is great"
In response to Reply # 2

I liked the first single, too. June can't come soon enough.

-thebigfunk

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18619 posts
Fri May-21-21 11:43 PM

8. "Been playing Bed-Stuy is Burning heavily "
In response to Reply # 4

Really looking forward to that album.

Evidence’s album is going to be tough too.

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2561 posts
Fri May-21-21 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Allison Russell - Outside Child"
In response to Reply # 0

(from Our Native Daughters/Birds of Chicago/Po Girl). On my third listen, and signed copy should be in the mailbox later today. Love it.

funklectic
Member since May 04th 2005
471 posts
Fri May-21-21 02:49 PM

6. "Patrick Paige II – If I Fail Are We Still Cool?"
In response to Reply # 0

I was really looking forward to this. On first listen - it's not bad, I was expecting more. There are a couple of proper bangers but generally it's ok. It might grow on me

mista k5
16412 posts
Fri May-21-21 03:03 PM

7. "I really liked it"
In response to Reply # 6

The vibe was dope. I worry that some of it might be a bit too gimmicky and the vocals might be weak points. On first listen neither bothered me but there were points that I could see it.

I have had it happen before where I love an album on first listen then by the third listen I didn't want to come back to it anymore. I think this has a chance of being like that but I'm hoping not.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sun May-23-21 10:17 AM

10. "masego - studying abroad: extended stay"
In response to Reply # 0

I think this is just a re-release from last year with a remix but it's new to me. I heard a track randomly and thought I'd check it out and (knowing very little about him) was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if I've heard him before.

A very modern and radio-familiar r&b style yet the production has a lot of interesting flourishes that feel very unique to me. Dude plays a saxophone and is pretty decent but restrained; solid voice and comes with really interesting vocal layers unexpectedly (see "Polygamy"). The whole thing has a very smooth, almost quiet-storm-ish sound at times that seems out of place for contemporary radio yet the trap influence makes it feel like it could be on any mainstream pop/r&b playlist.

The opening track "Passport" is a good example of how it has a very distinct musical (and lyrical) perspective yet feels very familiar at the same time. It's been in my head all morning.

The Mystery Lady remix at the end is really good, I think I like it more than the original.

So yeah, putting this here mainly because I can't figure out what to make of it, lol ... but it made me interested in him as an artist for sure and is worth checking out. Not sure what I expected but it wasn't this.

-thebigfunk

mista k5
16412 posts
Mon May-24-21 09:27 AM

11. "i think ive listened to songs hes done in soundtracks and other such alb..."
In response to Reply # 10

i saw his tiny concert a few weeks back. he has a good voice and interesting style. his persona is kinda eh but i do like most of what ive heard. i checked this out too. from what i can tell he released the first 6 songs last year and the last 5 this year. i only checked out the 5 from this year. plan to go back to the other 6.

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3050 posts
Tue Jun-15-21 02:53 PM

12. "Navy Blue - Navy's Reprise"
In response to Reply # 0

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3050 posts
Sun Jul-04-21 10:43 AM

13. "MIKE - Disco!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://mikelikesrap.bandcamp.com/album/disco

It's really good!

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Sun Jul-04-21 05:15 PM

14. "I mess with this."
In response to Reply # 13

https://digife.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3032503 Previous topic | Next topic