Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3032385

Subject: "Rank the four nicest mcees in Hiero " Previous topic | Next topic
micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue May-11-21 08:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rank the four nicest mcees in Hiero "

And what is the criteria you used for judging?

I'm not ready to answer yet.

We can do this with Native Tongues or Dungeon Family next if y'all care to participate.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Um, yeah, this is tough
May 11th 2021
Del’s first five albums are unfuckwitable
May 11th 2021
Tajai released an album in 2018
May 12th 2021
      Damn, yeah. That Rap Noir album. Forgot completely about that
May 12th 2021
Just in terms of who I want to hear
May 11th 2021
Simply in terms of who has made my favorite music…
May 12th 2021
RE: Rank the four nicest mcees in Hiero
May 12th 2021
Wish I’d listened to more of their stuff to be able to contribute
May 12th 2021

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Tue May-11-21 10:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Um, yeah, this is tough"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-11-21 01:55 PM by mrhood75

Hard to put together the criteria for this (judging by their peak or where they are now). And I feel bad leaving cats off this list.

1. Casual. Not only the nicest emcee in the crew, but the nicest emcee to ever come out of the Bay Area. One of, if not, the nicest from the West Coast. Extremely skilled, varied content, and some excellent and under-appreciated albums.

2. Opio. From 2000 on, he's been the nicest in the crew not named Casual. And even before then, he was #2 at worst in Souls during their initial hey day. Lots of really dope projects in the '00s and '10s.

3. Del. His first four albums are unfuckwitable and killed it on the Hiero compilations. But his solo output has been kind of a mess post-"11th Hour" (which itself was solid, but not spectacular). He's been doing good guest appearances lately though.

4. Phesto. He was probably the greenest in the beginning, but he's the benefit of another post-2000 surge. His 2010s album were pretty intereting too.

Of those I left off:

A-Plus: He was my favorite member of Souls during the '90s. I feel like he slipped a bit during the 21st century. Of the solo albums by the Souls members during the '00s, I liked his the least. However, he's been the proverbial comeback trail lately. Liked everything he did with Architect last year A LOT.

Pep Love: He was fierce in the late '90s and early '00s, and again always comes correct and Hiero comps and guest appearances. But his output has slowed to a trickle. The First Light album with Opio was flames, but it's from back in 2013.

Tajai: Another dude I liked but who's output is virtually non-existent in the last decade. He does a lot of the behind the scenes biz for the crew, but he's barely even recording guest appearances anymore. I do hope that album with Architect does become a reality.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4375 posts
Tue May-11-21 08:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Del’s first five albums are unfuckwitable"
In response to Reply # 1

blackfoot_female
Member since Jul 15th 2002
967 posts
Wed May-12-21 01:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Tajai released an album in 2018"
In response to Reply # 1

I think two, but one might have been a remix album.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Wed May-12-21 03:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Damn, yeah. That Rap Noir album. Forgot completely about that"
In response to Reply # 6

I'll have to re-listen. It's been forever since I heard it.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
682 posts
Tue May-11-21 08:17 PM

2. "Just in terms of who I want to hear "
In response to Reply # 0

1. D-E-L the legend.
2. Opio, solo albums have been solid as hell. A lot of great tracks beyond his Souls/Hiero stuff. Beat ear for beats out of the whole crew, easily.
3. Casual , the style is still impeccable though many lackluster releases over the years have hurt his standing a bit. Could’ve used better quality control.
4. A-Plus because his energy is amazing and has comedy in his rhymes as well

Tajai and Pep have skills to spare but are too one-note in their delivery for me. Appreciate both way more on group tracks.

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Wed May-12-21 06:10 AM

4. "Simply in terms of who has made my favorite music…"
In response to Reply # 0

Del, Pep, Casual and Ope..you know he’s dope.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Wed May-12-21 11:15 AM

5. "RE: Rank the four nicest mcees in Hiero "
In response to Reply # 0

1. Casual - Flamboyance, vocal dexterity, lyrics, flows, syllables, good blend of street machismo and conscious styles, supreme confidence, unique voice/accent.

2. Del tha Funkee Homosapien - Flow is not as tight as it used to be but I attribute that to his more freeform nature these days.. like Picasso in his later days. Still the most unique and effortlessly fresh emcee of the bunch. His voice drips with flavor. The soul of Hiero IMO

3. Pep Love - Tight flows/lyrics/cadences, probably the most slept on of the pack. The Inspektah Deck of Hieroglyphics.

4. Opio - I was going to go with A-Plus because I like his voice the best out of SOM. Phesto has a lot of flavor. Tajai projects strength. I would say Opio, despite having my least favorite voice out of the Souls, is the most well rounded as an emcee.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Wed May-12-21 05:37 PM

8. "Wish I’d listened to more of their stuff to be able to contribute"
In response to Reply # 0

Only have surface level knowledge of them overall though. I know Fear Itself, 93 Til Infinity, and some of Del’s stuff. Maybe I’ll dive deeper soon.

I’m in for Native Tongues, Dungeon Family, Hit Squad, Boot Camp Clik, Juice Crew, DITC, or Justus League though.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3032385 Previous topic | Next topic