Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3032286

Subject: "The Jazz Is Dead series so far..." Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue May-04-21 08:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Jazz Is Dead series so far..."

Any thoughts on the JID series so far?

https://downbeat.com/news/detail/gary-bartz-bridges-generations

I read this article about the Muhammad/Younge-produced Jazz is Dead series -- it's a good read, focusing more on the recent Gary Bartz record but touching on the series as a whole. There are now five dedicated albums plus the anthology with which the series launched:

Jazz is Dead 001 (Anthology)
Roy Ayers
Marcos Valle
Azymuth
Doug Carn
Gary Bartz

I'll come back in a bit and rank these after giving each another listen or check-in, but all of these have stayed in fairly relative rotation since their relase for me. That new Bartz release might be my favorite of the bunch though.

Anyhow, any thoughts about the series so far? What have been your favorite entries? Least favorite? Disappointments?

(Next up is Joao Donato.)

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I've got all of them on vinyl...
May 04th 2021
RE: I've got all of them on vinyl...
May 05th 2021
joao donato - JID007
Jun 04th 2021
I am assuming this is not about the Dead smooth jazz tribute band
Jun 08th 2021
It’s the series of albums….
Jun 08th 2021
damn, now i want to go look for that
Jun 09th 2021
Additions since JID007 (Joao Donato)
Mar 11th 2022
additions since 010
Mar 21st 2023
2023 releases were...
Dec 30th 2023
The Katalyst record is really up there as one of the series' best.
Jan 20th 2024

KnowNaim_X
Member since May 14th 2005
2531 posts
Tue May-04-21 05:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I've got all of them on vinyl..."
In response to Reply # 0

Pre-ordered the Donato about a month ago.The anthology seemed to pick more of the better tracks from each release of course. Matter of fact, it was one of my favorite releases.

My favorite so far is Gary Bartz or Doug Carn...depends on the day. I was somewhat surprised at how good the Gary Bartz release sounded. I'm biased because he's one of my favs.

I was disappointed in the Roy Ayers release. I was expecting a bit more of his sound. There are flashes of it but its drenched too much in that Younge sound (not taking anything away from him tho). I'm really interested in the Brian Jackson release coming up.

"When I'm on the mic, a nigga throw down his blunt just to hear what we say...up in this bitch..."-Baatin

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed May-05-21 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I've got all of them on vinyl..."
In response to Reply # 1

Nice -- how's the vinyl quality? I might go back and try and pick these up if they're still available -- it would be nice to have as a set. I noticed they were running some sort of subscription thing through their website -- price didn't look too bad either.

>I was disappointed in the Roy Ayers release. I was expecting a
>bit more of his sound. There are flashes of it but its
>drenched too much in that Younge sound (not taking anything
>away from him tho). I'm really interested in the Brian Jackson
>release coming up.

I think this is my biggest issue with the series and I'm still not sure how I feel about it overall. They've definitely established a sound for the series - very much in Younge's general vein - and at times it does feel like it almost overshadows the style and feel of the lead.

But I'm actually going back this week and listening to each release and a few of each artist's older releases -- using it to dig into stuff I love and haven't listened to in a while as well as stuff that's more new to me. Maybe I'll feel differently listening to the records in the context of each artist's larger discography.

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 03:35 PM

3. "joao donato - JID007"
In response to Reply # 0

Out today. Listening now -- first impressions is this might edge into my top one or two releases in the series so far.

Have to say though -- only 27 minutes long! That's a bit of a bummer.

I'm not very familiar with him so it will be fun to check out his discography.

-thebigfunk

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 11:43 AM

4. "I am assuming this is not about the Dead smooth jazz tribute band"
In response to Reply # 0

I got one of their records back around 2000 based on the strength of the players - Jimmy Herring, Billy Cobham - and thought it sucked.

but I don't know what you're talking about here.

hope all's good my man!

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 11:58 PM

5. "It’s the series of albums…."
In response to Reply # 4

…..by Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad. They’ve been teaming up with various jazz legends. You should check the series out.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Jun-09-21 07:28 AM

6. "damn, now i want to go look for that"
In response to Reply # 4

Good to see you man. Haven't heard that record but there was an interesting solo piano jazz-ish take on the Dead last year, Holly Bowling's "Seeking All That's Still Unsung" -- I really liked that one. (Apparently she's exceptional live.)

Like Wordsmith said, the JID series is from Adrian Younge/Ali Shaheed and pairs them with mostly jazz musicians. It's been a fun series to watch unfold even if the results (imo) are a bit uneven.

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Mar-11-22 11:19 AM

7. "Additions since JID007 (Joao Donato)"
In response to Reply # 0

Since the Joao release, there's been:

Brian Jackson - JID008
Instrumentals - JID009
Remixes - JID010

Just putting this here because I lost track of the series a bit and only *just* realized the Remixes comp had come out. It includes remixes by Georgia Anne Muldrow, Pink Siifu, Kaidi Tatham, and quite a few others. (Haven't listened yet but good lineup)

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 10:08 AM

8. "additions since 010"
In response to Reply # 0

JID 011 - sampler of forthcoming tracks (kind of like 001)
JID 012 - Jean Carn
JID 013 - Katalyst
JID 014 - Henry Franklin
JID 015 - Garrett Saracho
JID 016 - Phil Ranelin and Wendell Harrison
Forthcoming: JID 017 - Lonnie Liston Smith

Some general thoughts:
The Carn album is *awesome* imo (but probably not for everyone)

The Katalyst album is really nice and gives a bit of insight into the consistent sound across the records, have played quite a bit

Need to listen to the Franklin and Saracho records more but liked both a lot on first listen

The Ranelin/Harrison record is really good, listening now and it inspired me to make this post. I have only listened straight through once or twice but every time a track comes up on my shuffle, I have stopped and paid attention -- good sign.

Is it just me or is this latest record mixed better than the others? The drums are killing me in a good way.

I have been a little critical of these records but I feel like this last stretch was exceptional. Has even pushed me to look past the continued abuse of the wah wah guitar, lol. Good stuff all around and more personality than some of the earlier records (imo)

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sat Dec-30-23 04:19 PM

9. "2023 releases were..."
In response to Reply # 8

>JID 016 - Phil Ranelin and Wendell Harrison
>JID 017 - Lonnie Liston Smith

And JID 018, Tony Allen.

The Tony Allen record was (imo) pretty snooze and unnecessary.

The other two are some of the best in the series so far.

Cuts for days on that Ranelin/Harrison record:
* Ursa Major
* Running with the Tribe
* Metropolis Blues

Really the whole thing.

I've tried to stop thinking of these as records by the featured artist, and instead as Younge/ASM records with a guest soloist. I still wish they felt more individual between artists, but we're still getting a lot of good stuff out of the run.

-thebigfunk

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Sat Jan-20-24 09:25 PM

10. "The Katalyst record is really up there as one of the series' best."
In response to Reply # 8

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Lobby The Lesson topic #3032286 Previous topic | Next topic