Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3031883

Subject: "New Release Friday - 2021-04-16" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Apr-16-21 03:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday - 2021-04-16"

Haven't seen a whole lot at first glance but haven't done a deep dive yet. What's everyone checking out?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
a few releases beyond Conway
Apr 17th 2021
I love Natalia
Apr 20th 2021
      she's in my highest of top tiers these days
Apr 21st 2021
           How did you feel about the reworks from that last album?
Apr 22nd 2021
two more of note
Apr 19th 2021
good lookin out on that Coultrain.
Apr 19th 2021
This New Snoop Is Fire
Apr 20th 2021

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sat Apr-17-21 08:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "a few releases beyond Conway"
In response to Reply # 0

Kweli & Diamond D put out this Gotham record. Haven't listened yet but I was *really* let down by the singles. Kweli's rapping has just gotten lazy at this point (imo) .. but I'll still check this at some point, maybe I wasn't clued in at the time.

Anna Wise has a live album, Gently Powerful -- listening now and it's as out there as you might expect, in a good way.

Oscar Jerome live release too, Live at Longreel, but only 3 songs: Sun For Someone, Your Saint, Coy Moon. Performances were good though and is a nice companion to last year's record.

Natalia Lafourcade released a version of "Cien anos" for her upcoming second volume of the Un Canto por Mexico series. A few weeks ago she released an epic version of "Alfonsina y el Mar" (presumably for the same project) which is just beautiful.

Nick Hakim & Roy Nathanson - Small Things - gave this a listen yesterday and thought this was really good on first listen. The title track(s) were immediate standouts. More poetry-over-music (but some of it sung, some of it spoken) -- lots of great instrumentation. If you liked Hakim's release last year, you'll probably like this.

-thebigfunk

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Apr-20-21 01:55 PM

4. "I love Natalia"
In response to Reply # 1

Started listening to her 6 or 7 years ago, she’s become one of my favorite artists.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Apr-21-21 06:31 AM

6. "she's in my highest of top tiers these days"
In response to Reply # 4

Started paying attention a few years ago (might have been someone here that first pointed her out, maybe Kosa12?) and at this point she's a stop-everything-and-listen artist.

It's her voice for me. It is so versatile and so expressive and emotive and yet never veering into the overly theatrical or kitsch.

Her version of Cucurrucucú Paloma from last year's album is my go-to example right now. It is a whole journey guided almost entirely by the her vocal performance -- from volume dynamics to breadth and tone and character, it's just keeps me glued. I've listened to it a thousand times and I still stop everything when it comes up on my shuffle.

And when you start paying attention, you realize that song might be a pinnacle but most of her performances are like that.

I could talk about and swoon over her all day, she's amazing.

-thebigfunk

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 11:27 AM

7. "How did you feel about the reworks from that last album?"
In response to Reply # 6

I’m not mad at any of them but probably 50/50 as far as originals v reworks, I love the new version of Lo Que Construimos. Those horns. Agreed on her voice, you can tell she puts her heart and soul into her music.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Apr-19-21 11:43 AM

2. "two more of note"
In response to Reply # 0

Norah Jones has a live record out with the bands she'd been touring with from the last few years pre-COVID -- a pretty stripped-down band with Brian Blade on drums (!). Haven't listened yet but it sounds like an ideal setting for her and am looking forward to checking it out.

Also, Coultrain has a new album out called Phantasmagoria. Wouldn't have noticed except for that overlooked r&b records thread being re-upped. It's been a while since I've listened to any of his stuff but might be worth a listen!

-thebigfunk

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Mon Apr-19-21 02:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "good lookin out on that Coultrain."
In response to Reply # 2

Like you, I just happen to stumble on his releases.
Either under his own name or under a "band" name.

https://digife.com

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Apr-20-21 01:58 PM

5. "This New Snoop Is Fire"
In response to Reply # 0

Nothing groundbreaking but it’s Snoop and it’s dope. This is solid all the way through imo.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3031883 Previous topic | Next topic