Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3031431

Subject: "Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders - Promises" Previous topic | Next topic
agentzero
Member since Apr 12th 2007
1907 posts
Sat Mar-27-21 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders - Promises"
Sat Mar-27-21 12:58 PM by agentzero

https://floatingpoints.bandcamp.com/

one of the most hyped releases out there at the moment.

had this on for two full listens yesterday and i can not shake the feeling of being dissapointed by what i heard.
i love my slow and meditative releases but the pace on this one left me a bit bored and i did not feel emotionally moved.

again the repeating motive did not do it for me. the album is basically one long ass track (46 minutes) and left me wishing for more.

what do you think about this ?!?

To people like US, a record is a piece of history. A moment in time.
Most people don't get it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I felt the exact same way
Mar 27th 2021
unfortunately you are correct!
Mar 28th 2021
Having listened to this twice over now, unfortunately I have to agree.
Mar 28th 2021
this hit just right for me
Mar 29th 2021
this is cool
Mar 29th 2021
this
Apr 05th 2021
this kinda sold it for me.
Apr 06th 2021
Agreed with this
Apr 06th 2021
Worked for me
Apr 04th 2021
i think i was comparing it to the critical reception
Apr 06th 2021
      RE: i think i was comparing it to the critical reception
Apr 07th 2021
RE: disagree, this is phenomenal
Apr 06th 2021
I agree OP.
Apr 06th 2021
RE: I agree OP.
Apr 07th 2021
Apr 07th 2021
Apr 07th 2021
                Thanks for the detailed review
Apr 09th 2021

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Sat Mar-27-21 07:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I felt the exact same way"
In response to Reply # 0

based on the portions I listened to via Bandcamp.

like you, I can absolutely get down with meditative projects, but my strike zone for that mode of music is really small, and this just didn't hit it. I was ready for a new motif after just the first track.

I'm actually not too upset, cuz there are plenty of other projects vying for my cash, so those funds can be put to better use elsewhere.

PuertoNico
Member since Dec 31st 2007
312 posts
Sun Mar-28-21 02:36 PM

2. "unfortunately you are correct!"
In response to Reply # 0

feels so repetetive

http://www.nico-schlegel.de

dillinjah
Charter member
9025 posts
Sun Mar-28-21 05:38 PM

3. "Having listened to this twice over now, unfortunately I have to agree."
In response to Reply # 0

Having said that, I do love movement 5, and especially 6.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 10:38 AM

4. "this hit just right for me"
In response to Reply # 0

It's sort of right up my alley - a long, slow, repetitive piece with lots of space/silence? Sign me up!

But that bias aside, I thought it was really well done. The orchestral arrangement is really well-executed, not heavy-handed at all, and Sanders' playing is just perfect: very lyrical, almost plaintive at times, really tender (which I honestly wasn't expecting).

My only gripe (and this is totally me and probably unjustified and more of an observation than a gripe): one of my favorite pieces in the world is John Luther Adams' "In the White Silence" and I *swear* the main riff on this pieces is strikingly similar to the main motif on JLA's composition. Ultimately to totally different effect though - no recurring, searching sax on "White Silence" - and maybe I'm exaggerating the similarity in my head.

But yeah, putting aside the hype, I think this is beautiful and it hit just right for me. This will be a regular listen for a while, probably early morning or late evening.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Mon Mar-29-21 07:04 PM

5. "this is cool"
In response to Reply # 4

it wasn't for me, but I'm happy to hear this album is finding its audience. I'm hoping another ambient-esque project shows up soon that I can get into.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Mon Apr-05-21 11:24 AM

7. "this"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon Apr-05-21 11:25 AM by howardlloyd

>and Sanders' playing is just perfect:
>very lyrical, almost plaintive at times

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Tue Apr-06-21 09:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "this kinda sold it for me."
In response to Reply # 4

I dig Movement 1.

https://digife.com

cal.25
Member since Nov 10th 2014
188 posts
Tue Apr-06-21 05:31 PM

11. "Agreed with this"
In response to Reply # 4

Took a first listen to this while out on a run in the morning, and it connected with me from start to end.

Reminded me too about first hearing the opening track of Floating Points 'Crush' album, and was wishing for more orchestral/string arrangements from him. I was slightly disappointed that Crush didn't have more of it... but this new album Promises has filled the void for me.

Now looking for more long, slow meditative pieces - would love to hear more in this style!

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sun Apr-04-21 08:12 AM

6. "Worked for me"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a yoga routine that I try to do daily

This was perfect background music

Sometimes I use YouTube videos of a frequency playing for hours

This was like a symphonic version of that

I was very happy with Passages

This is in that lane.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

agentzero
Member since Apr 12th 2007
1907 posts
Tue Apr-06-21 04:31 PM

10. "i think i was comparing it to the critical reception"
In response to Reply # 6

its hailed as a stunning and groundbreaking release possible album of the year...

you said yoga record lol

To people like US, a record is a piece of history. A moment in time.
Most people don't get it.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Apr-07-21 07:30 AM

14. "RE: i think i was comparing it to the critical reception"
In response to Reply # 10

>you said yoga record lol

Although I get the point and the joke, it's worth remembering that music is frequently used as a part of meditative practice in any number of cultures -- "yoga record" isn't a bad thing.

And the type of music that is often used is frequently minimalist in instrumentation, slow/subtle in development, and long in duration -- which, in the context of our times anyway, is in fact pretty radical in itself. There's a reason so many avant garde musicians explore silence at some point in their journey (and there's a reason many of them have dabbled in serious meditative practices at some point, too).

I haven't seen folks call this groundbreaking -- I don't think it's that (but I don't think that matters, I'm not sure why we put such emphasis on the idea of new-ness in music/art). But the more I listen, the more I do feel this is an exceptional record for sure.

-thebigfunk

rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Tue Apr-06-21 08:20 AM

8. "RE: disagree, this is phenomenal "
In response to Reply # 0

not quite up there with Elaenia, but a great LP nonetheless.

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Tue Apr-06-21 08:14 PM

12. "I agree OP."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-06-21 08:14 PM by shockvalue

Big fan of FP and of Sanders, but this is shockingly (from either man) schmaltzy, and too slight to support its running time.

I do like some of it, mainly the first track and the one where Sanders scats. They should do another album of more varied material, with drums.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Apr-07-21 07:19 AM

13. "RE: I agree OP."
In response to Reply # 12

>Big fan of FP and of Sanders, but this is shockingly (from
>either man) schmaltzy, and too slight to support its running
>time.

What on earth does schmaltzy mean in this context? No snark but of all the possible definitions/examples I can imagine, I wouldn't come up with it here.

And slight here is weird to me, too. I'd like to hear what you think makes too slight for its running time.

-thebigfunk

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Wed Apr-07-21 08:08 AM

15. "RE: I agree OP."
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Apr-07-21 08:22 AM by shockvalue

It’s the odd paradox of music whose palette and epic form suggests it should be emotionally stirring, and yet I feel nothing. Similar to to way i feel about Max Richter. Bad romance if you will...

The strings don’t evoke anything for me except bad string writing of the kind you often hear in pop music.

Cheesy, simplistic, and not worth the expense. Heavy use of unison, no depth of harmony which on a project with Pharoah Sanders is baffling.

Strings that simply say, “this is a string section bitches, get emo to this...for 45 minutes!”

I know FP is a polymath, but the Peter principle is still in effect.

(Btw I pre-ordered this on vinyl so will probably listen at least a few more times, I’ll come back and update if it grows on me as things often do).

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Wed Apr-07-21 09:47 AM

16. "RE: I agree OP."
In response to Reply # 15

Movement 6 is the best microcosm.

1 minute of PS, followed by 6 minutes of FP noodle orchestral writing that is just not compelling. Too busy to be ambient music, too flat and rote to be stirring. He uses the orchestra like a monophonic instrument almost, to play these melodramatic cliches..

If the album didn’t have access to Pharoah I might not judge the long FP orchestral sessions so harshly but it’s like, you’ve got a brilliant soloist and (orchestrally) a novice accompaniest, lean into your strengths.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Apr-09-21 09:07 AM

17. "Thanks for the detailed review"
In response to Reply # 16

I strongly disagree but the funny thing, that's what I *expected* to find when I got ready for the first spin. Aside from a few moments, though, I actually feel almost the exact opposite: orchestra use is smartly understated, often subtle yet very well-developed -- definitely not "monophonic" and I wouldn't call it novice-level writing by any stretch.

I'll come back with a bit more of a breakdown later on how I hear it.

One thing I'd suggest: I think we sometimes have a tendency as music listeners to say, "X is involved -- why didn't 'they' use X more?" -- similar to the "lean into your strengths" argument you're making.

But why not take a piece on its own merits wholly, esp. when dealing with artists we particularly respect? In other words, we either like it or we don't, we find it interesting or we don't, we think it's great or we don't, or sophisticated or not --- but accept as a basic premise that it is whole in itself, not lacking because it is not something else, or because it did not use all of its parts in the way we expect it to.

In this case, we respond to the piece as we do but why reach to say -- "they should have used Sanders in such and such a way"? Clearly they had a vision here -- we can take it and appreciate it or dismiss it as is without playing armchair producer in our listening and critique.

-thebigfunk

Lobby The Lesson topic #3031431 Previous topic | Next topic