Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3031381

Subject: "New Release Friday - 2021-03-26" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Mar-26-21 08:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday - 2021-03-26"

Kind of a weird day: a lot out there but it's a strange potpourri at the same time.

Main thing that I saw right away and am starting my day with:

L'Impératrice - Tako Tsubo
I first heard these folks a few months ago and have been ALL OVER THEM. A bit hard to pin down in sound but basically French dance with heavy leaning toward disco/funk. Super solid musicianship, they aren't afraid to let instrumental breaks in and just groove for a while either, and their arrangements always have something a bit unexpected. Listening now and it's everything I hoped for. If you listen to one thing today and want something that will make you move a bit, maybe make it this (or just one song: either "Peur des filles" or "Voodoo?")

A few others:
Armand Hammer - Haram
Floating Points & Pharoah Sanders - Promises
Tune-Yards - sketchy.

Lot of other stuff other there, too -- what are you checking for?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
new Gallant
Mar 26th 2021
*way* better than the last one
Mar 26th 2021
      eh
Apr 01st 2021
Copping Armand Hammer & The Alchemist
Mar 26th 2021
serpentwithfeet got a new one
Mar 26th 2021
you and Hitokiri are the only ones talking about dude on here
Mar 31st 2021
      I should have spoken up about Soil. Loved that album.
Mar 31st 2021

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5461 posts
Fri Mar-26-21 10:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "new Gallant"
In response to Reply # 0

Neptune

havent listened yet, but he's one of my favorites

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Mar-26-21 01:50 PM

3. "*way* better than the last one"
In response to Reply # 1

Maybe I was alone but I really didn't feel his last one, "Sweet Insomnia" at all. This reminds me a lot more of "ology" which is what hooked me to him (and is back on streaming btw, had been gone for a bit) -- not necessarily in style but in feel.

Only one listen in but it all sounds really good. "Chemical Romance." might be on repeat for a while -- has a full, rich sound -- reminds me of Maxwell, actually. "Dynamite" is great too and the Brandy feature is on point.

His attention to detail here is reminding me of why I liked "ology" so much -- going to pull that back out next!

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5461 posts
Thu Apr-01-21 04:04 PM

7. "eh"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Apr-01-21 04:04 PM by fontgangsta

im putting this one in the same boat as Sweet Insomnia more or less, which is pretty disappointing

this and the last one are R&B records that 100 singers over the last decade could have made
no one else on planet earth could have made Ology

So i was really hoping he would continue to make music that is "uniquely gallant" - but so much of his stuff since then has just been generic R&B to my ears. Its got his richness in it, which i dig - but theres nothing that makes me sit up straight and be like "wtf??" (wtf in a good way)

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Fri Mar-26-21 10:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Copping Armand Hammer & The Alchemist"
In response to Reply # 0

Need to check my bandcamp wishlist.

https://digife.com

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6731 posts
Fri Mar-26-21 06:44 PM

4. "serpentwithfeet got a new one"
In response to Reply # 0

Much less experimental sounding, but very pretty and cheerful.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16402 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 03:28 PM

5. "you and Hitokiri are the only ones talking about dude on here"
In response to Reply # 4

first time i check out music by him and i loved it. the nao feature made me want to check out the album and im very happy i did.

i guess my reply breaks the streak of mentions of dude getting no replies lol

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3030239&mesg_id=3030239&listing_type=search#3031425

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3006609&mesg_id=3006609&listing_type=search

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13256052&mesg_id=13256052&listing_type=search#13257074

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6731 posts
Wed Mar-31-21 03:41 PM

6. "I should have spoken up about Soil. Loved that album."
In response to Reply # 5

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3031381 Previous topic | Next topic