Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3030714

Subject: "... All the Biases That Prevent Me From Considering Drake ...(The Root s..." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"... All the Biases That Prevent Me From Considering Drake ...(The Root s..."

This sums up my thoughts on Drake. I can't consider him a great MC, at least not in the traditional way we do Thought, Nas, Jay, etc

You can argue is hip hop should be pop music but for better or worse it is the dominant American musical genre both artistically and in terms of record sales.

Drake has distilled hip hop into pop music. That sounds like a backhanded compliment but I don't mean it that way. Drake has redefined hip hop in a way that made it very marketable and accessible in a way to the post-Golden Age era that no one else of his generation quite has. You could probably put Weezy in that category as well, although Drake seems to be a pop culture icon in a way Yeezy isn't.

https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/a-list-of-all-the-biases-that-prevent-me-from-consideri-1846430303?rev=1615404826929&fbclid=IwAR38vXOKCUyBJRglPE9UZAfZr_oRylSg6e4GY8ufYL9eyIEpsKN-PsrLxi0

1. He reminds me of hotel shampoo so much that I’ve just started calling him Hotel Shampoo.

2. The irrational and disproportionate emotional and spiritual attachment I have to the rappers I listened to and loved when I was younger, which makes it more difficult for a “newer” person to move me.

3. He’s never released an album I’d consider a classic. (His best, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late, falls short of that status.) But perhaps this is an anachronistic way of assessment, when our primary means of consuming music now is on streaming platforms, and we can just make playlists of the shit we like. Does having a great album still matter if you’ve either released or been featured on (at least) 50 culturally relevant and zeitgeist-infesting songs in a 12-year span—which Hotel Shampoo definitely has?

4. His verses are book blurbs stitched together. Just quotable after quotable after quotable with no real cohesion. (Can you remember him ever telling a story? And not even a Nas-level story, but like Jigga on “Meet the Parents” or Weezy on “Mona Lisa”?)

But he makes it work. The quotable/catchphrase thing is a talent. For instance, Hotel Shampoo ain’t invent the word “fancy,” but he definitely had/has people saying “oh you fancy” after “Fancy.” Same thing with YOLO. And “woes.” And “You wasn’t with me shootin’ in the gym.” And so many other words and lines that feel, well, corny as fuck, but also became ubiquitous.

His verses feel and sound easy, like he spent 15 minutes writing them and five recording them, but there’s a rigor in the performance of ease, and Hotel Shampoo has mastered it.

5. I grew up on GZA and Ghost and Biggie and Dre 3000 and Big L and L Boogie and Scarface and others whose lyrics, lines, and verses were so intricate and complex that it made rap/rapping seem so fucking hard. The best rappers have always been considered linguistic geniuses. There’s even genius origin stories and myth-making(s), like how everyone knows that Jay-Z has supposedly never actually written a rhyme.

There’s never been a time, in the 12 years now that I’ve listened to Hotel Shampoo, where I thought “Wow. Dude is a genius.” But I think what’s happening is that his genius—the quotable/catch phrase thing and his preternatural ability to ride/create trends and be a chameleon—exists in places I don’t value as much as the overtly difficult lyrics.

6. I wouldn’t place him on a list of the 25 best rappers ever. But I feel like we need to have two separate categories for rap goats. You have the “best at rapping” goat list, with people like Black Thought and Jay Elec and Jean Grae on it, and the “best at making rap songs/albums” list, with people like Hotel Shampoo and Kanye West.

I’m done here. Goodbye!

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Drake belongs to some sub genre of rap music...
Mar 12th 2021
RE: ... All the Biases That Prevent Me From Considering Drake ...(The Ro...
Mar 12th 2021
Based on his list, I think he's opening up the idea of a GOAT list
Mar 16th 2021
He wrote this based on a Kiese Laymon post from the day before
Mar 12th 2021
He’s a teen idol that bought his skills
Mar 13th 2021
This all seems to check out
Mar 17th 2021
If I wouldn’t have a beer with them, I won’t listen to them
Mar 17th 2021
LOL @ hotel shampoo
Mar 21st 2021
He doesn't have rhymes, he has quips. Perfect for the times. n/m
Mar 24th 2021

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 05:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Drake belongs to some sub genre of rap music..."
In response to Reply # 0

...you can't really compare him to 80s/90s MCs who spit over boom bap ..it's like comparing Ice Hockey to Figure Skating ..both may require talent, but one is, you know

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Master Thespian
Member since Mar 25th 2003
622 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 05:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: ... All the Biases That Prevent Me From Considering Drake ...(The Ro..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-12-21 05:32 PM by Master Thespian

Interesting premise until it sorta gets undermined in point #6. Shouldn't the GOATs be the best at combining pure skill with making great songs/albums?

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Mar-16-21 07:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Based on his list, I think he's opening up the idea of a GOAT list"
In response to Reply # 2

He seems to be opening up the list to lyricists - MC's who have a mastery of the craft of MC'ing - and songwriters - MC's who have a knack for writing emotionally compelling songs, even if they don't display the level of craft lyricists show.

That sort of cleans up the messiness of making GOAT comparisons between generations, at least the Golden Age generation and these new school rappers.

But I agree that a GOAT should be good if not great at both.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Hitokiri
Charter member
22096 posts
Fri Mar-12-21 09:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "He wrote this based on a Kiese Laymon post from the day before"
In response to Reply # 0

which is funny to me. Gotta get those words off tough.
I think number 4 is pretty interesting. I hadn't considered that before. Seems true.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sat Mar-13-21 07:35 AM

4. "He’s a teen idol that bought his skills "
In response to Reply # 0

It’s not that complicated.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Wed Mar-17-21 07:24 AM

6. "This all seems to check out"
In response to Reply # 0

I've always just personally considered him to be an R&B singer who can rap. Same as I think of Kanye or Puffy as producers who can rap.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18619 posts
Wed Mar-17-21 11:09 AM

7. "If I wouldn’t have a beer with them, I won’t listen to them "
In response to Reply # 0

I can’t listen to a rapper who I don’t like, even if they have “talent”.

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Sun Mar-21-21 01:01 PM

8. "LOL @ hotel shampoo"
In response to Reply # 0

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Wed Mar-24-21 04:23 AM

9. "He doesn't have rhymes, he has quips. Perfect for the times. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3030714 Previous topic | Next topic