Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3030610

Subject: "New Release Friday - 2021-03-05" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 08:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday - 2021-03-05"

Getting this up earlier than usual as it looks like a pretty decent week on a lot of fronts. Going to have a lot to listen to while working today, easy.

That new Silk Sonic (Mars/Paak) debut single.

Big Pooh - What Was Lost vol. 2

Denzel Curry - Unlocked 1.5 (Remixes)

A number of things on the indie front: a new single from St Vincent ahead of her forthcoming "Daddy's Home"; new albums from Andrew Bird, Of Montreal

Another single from Valerie June (!)

And that's just the surface... what's everyone looking for?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm digging UNLOCKED 1.5
Mar 05th 2021
haven't listened all the way through yet
Mar 06th 2021
I bought that Pooh - happy with it
Mar 06th 2021
losing my religion
Mar 06th 2021
a few other additions
Mar 06th 2021

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13181 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm digging UNLOCKED 1.5"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-05-21 12:25 PM by Oak27

I'm glad that rather it just being Denzel's vocals over new beats, there are new features to go with Dezel's OG verses.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Sat Mar-06-21 12:18 PM

4. "haven't listened all the way through yet"
In response to Reply # 1

but I did listen to the Georgia Anne Muldrow track -- I thought that was really cool although felt a little unsure about the Arlo Parks feature on it.

Everything else I've heard from it so far has been great too - probably give it a start-to-finish listen this afternoon.

-thebigfunk

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18572 posts
Sat Mar-06-21 10:07 AM

2. "I bought that Pooh - happy with it"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-06-21 10:14 AM by DJR

Weird to hear that “J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League” drop on a Justus League rapper’s song on “Go”. Felt like worlds were colliding, lol. That song is great IMO.

Seinfeld f/ Phonte is predictably a highlight. Wish the hook hit one more time though. Felt like they left the meeting on a high note like Costanza, lol.

Land of Milk and Honey? Love that one too. Focus...does such great work for Pooh and LB.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Sat Mar-06-21 12:16 PM

3. "losing my religion"
In response to Reply # 2

Really liked the opening track -- didn't pay too much attention yet to the rest (but the cut with Phonte was definitely strong).

But yeah, losing my religion hit *just* right -- I've been digging into Pooh's solo work more the last few weeks and as an emcee he really is in top form right now.

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Sat Mar-06-21 12:31 PM

5. "a few other additions"
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely a fun week. Other things I'm planning to check out:

Kings of Leon - When You See Yourself. Not a stan but always interested to hear what they put together -- the singles have been really good.

Photay - On Hold. I first found Photay around the time of his last album, Waking Hours -- not sure how to describe his sound as a producer but the few songs from the new lp that I've heard so far are a bit more ambient in style.

Adrian Younge - The American Negro -- this was actually out last week. 26 tracks in 52 minutes; I think some of them are spoken word. Pitchfork review was... not good, lol... fwiw.

New remix of Brittany Howard's "Stay High" called "Stay High Again"

-thebigfunk

Lobby The Lesson topic #3030610 Previous topic | Next topic