Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3030579

Subject: "Tall Black Guy - Airplane Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Tue Mar-02-21 04:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tall Black Guy - Airplane Mode"

https://tallblackguy.bandcamp.com/album/airplane-mode

https://open.spotify.com/album/5sdT4OcHMS1lrZJAcuWHI1?si=8JjIE4eKTbSfKTpVQPT1Kw

His best work to date, by quite a wide margin. He has really developed his own sound on this one - the interplay between sample and playing is pretty seamless.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Tall Black Guy - Airplane Mode
Mar 02nd 2021
Just copped for Bandcamp Friday.
Mar 05th 2021
just have to up this
May 02nd 2021
I’ve been playing Abstractions a lot more since it came out
May 02nd 2021
ICYMI: Tall Black Guy & Ozay Moore - Of Process and Progression
Dec 09th 2021

spidey
Charter member
13119 posts
Tue Mar-02-21 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Tall Black Guy - Airplane Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Hyped to listen to this...much appreciated...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Fri Mar-05-21 06:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Just copped for Bandcamp Friday."
In response to Reply # 0

I need to just subscribe and get all of his stuff.

https://digife.com

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sun May-02-21 08:26 AM

3. "just have to up this"
In response to Reply # 0

Listened again while easing into this morning and there's something really musically rich about this release that is hard to put a finger on. It's a great listen as an album, start to finish, no skips. I'm tired of skits and spoken intros/outros/interludes but even those all work here -- I'm not skipping them.

There's also a positivity that feels very affirming right now - and ont just because of the spoken bits - but that might just be where I am/what I need. Hearing the musicians talking and playing off each other on one or two tracks furthers this too. It's clear he had a great time putting it together and it comes through in the music.

The Zo! collab, too, is so solid musically and feels similarly uplifting.

Hadn't copped physicals yet so doing that now if they're out there, it's well-deserved. Both of these will probably be near the top of my 2021 list.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18622 posts
Sun May-02-21 10:49 AM

4. "I’ve been playing Abstractions a lot more since it came out"
In response to Reply # 0

but that’s because I’m more of a full album with vocals than instrumentals type, at least for repeated listens. Airplane Mode is cool too though.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu Dec-09-21 09:44 AM

5. "ICYMI: Tall Black Guy & Ozay Moore - Of Process and Progression"
In response to Reply # 0

I know TBG's other projects this year got a fair amount of shine but I haven't seen too many mentions of this project.

https://tallblackguy.bandcamp.com/album/of-process-and-progression

Definitely the most straight-up hip hop of his recent releases. The beats on this are deep from top to bottom; the rapping is really good, maybe not exceptional, but with plenty of high moments.

But yeah, it's mostly about the beats and they're "I want instrumentals" good. (Which it looks like they might be prepping? They released one so far.)

Worth some listening time, for sure! And I love how every time I put one of these TBG records on I've been going back in and listening to the other recent projects in a row. Something nice about their energy.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Lobby The Lesson topic #3030579 Previous topic | Next topic