Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3030534

Subject: "New Release Friday - 2021-02-26" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Feb-26-21 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday - 2021-02-26"

Anything interesting out this week? Anything you're catching up on from recent weeks?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i need suggestions
Feb 26th 2021
RE: i need suggestions
Mar 03rd 2021
      i appreciate it
Mar 03rd 2021
New Nick Cave and Warren Ellis
Feb 26th 2021
eager to get into this - thanks for the heads up
Mar 03rd 2021
      I love Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen, but it's heartbreaking stuff
Mar 03rd 2021
RE: New Release Friday - 2021-02-26
Feb 28th 2021
RE: New Release Friday - 2021-02-26
Mar 03rd 2021
Mad I never checked out this Alex Goose remix of Piñata til now
Feb 28th 2021
cosima - the fun is here
Mar 03rd 2021

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Feb-26-21 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i need suggestions"
In response to Reply # 0

the year has been slow for names i recognize. most of the ones ive listened to have been mostly duds.

i checked out the new curren$y and i wasnt really feeling it. a couple of tracks were okay/good but nothing i would want to go back to.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 09:37 AM

5. "RE: i need suggestions"
In response to Reply # 1

>the year has been slow for names i recognize. most of the
>ones ive listened to have been mostly duds.

Yeah, it's been a bit slow for me, too, but I also just haven't been listening as much. My backlog is deep right now. Some favs so far:

Hip hop/R&B:
RAP Ferreira - Bob's Son (this is good but not as memorable, for me, as Purple Moonlight Pages)

Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales (could do without the skits after two or three listens)

Rhye - Home

Kota the Friend - Lyrics to Go vol 2

Ovrkast - Try Again (is this 2021? or is this a re-release?)

Madlib - Sound Ancestors (near the top of my listening so far for the year, easily)

But honestly, of those, only the RAP Ferreira, Ovrkast, and Madlib are getting steady play. Rhye will probably be a slow burn throughout the year, especially when it warms up a bit and can be chilled to outside in the evening.

Some other random releases:
Kacy & Clayton/Marlon Williams - Plastic Bouquet (Americana-ish)

Weather Station - Ignorance (worth the hype - love her voice, new sound for her that really pays off)

Chevalrex - Providence (some french slightly avant chamber pop - really crept up on me)

Buck Meek - Two Saviors (of Big Thief - just a great set of straight-forward tunes with a few really exceptional ones)

Caroline Shaw - Narrow Sea (pop music's favorite contemporary classical-ish composer -- this is a genuinely good release and it has Dawn Upshaw, a favorite singer of mine, on vocals -- highly recommended)

That said, there's a lot on my list that I've barely given an ear to yet. Some I have really liked on first listen or skim:

Femi Kuti/Made Kuti - Legacy + - liked Femi's half more but a good listen all the way through

Dam-Funk - Destination: Known - two-track EP, both long, nothing groundbreaking but I'll be returning

those YOD/Tha God Fahim releases seem really solid, just haven't been in the mood for them

Myka 9 - Nine Clouds (only listened to a few tracks but I liked what I heard a lot)

Black Country, New Road - For the first time - not sure how to describe these folks yet but I really liked the singles they released, looking forward to the full album

Black Nile - The Further Side - jazz but with beats/hip hop inflections -- I really liked this on first listen and am excited to go back. Good write-up from Bandcamp: https://daily.bandcamp.com/album-of-the-day/black-nile-the-further-side-review

A whole lot of jazz that I haven't touched yet but that looks really promising, too.

-thebigfunk

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 11:33 AM

7. "i appreciate it"
In response to Reply # 5

i am going through my playlist of songs i felt are worth revisiting so far. its about 260 songs, i will probably finish listening today. there have been some good albums this year but only 2/3 that i would consider great. hopefully it starts picking up in march.

i havent checked out the below from the ones you listed. i will start going through them.

Hip hop/R&B:
Rhye - Home

Ovrkast - Try Again (is this 2021? or is this a re-release?)

Some other random releases:
Kacy & Clayton/Marlon Williams - Plastic Bouquet (Americana-ish)

Weather Station - Ignorance (worth the hype - love her voice, new sound for her that really pays off)
Chevalrex - Providence (some french slightly avant chamber pop - really crept up on me)

Buck Meek - Two Saviors (of Big Thief - just a great set of straight-forward tunes with a few really exceptional ones)

Caroline Shaw - Narrow Sea (pop music's favorite contemporary classical-ish composer -- this is a genuinely good release and it has Dawn Upshaw, a favorite singer of mine, on vocals -- highly recommended)

Some I have really liked on first listen or skim:
Femi Kuti/Made Kuti - Legacy + - liked Femi's half more but a good listen all the way through

Dam-Funk - Destination: Known - two-track EP, both long, nothing groundbreaking but I'll be returning

Black Country, New Road - For the first time - not sure how to describe these folks yet but I really liked the singles they released, looking forward to the full album

Black Nile - The Further Side - jazz but with beats/hip hop inflections -- I really liked this on first listen and am excited to go back. Good write-up from Bandcamp: https://daily.bandcamp.com/album-of-the-day/black-nile-the-further-side-review

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Fri Feb-26-21 04:56 PM

2. "New Nick Cave and Warren Ellis"
In response to Reply # 0

Their first non-soundtrack album. I liked it, but I really liked Cave's last two albums where things can get pretty abstract.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 12:36 PM

8. "eager to get into this - thanks for the heads up"
In response to Reply # 2

I haven't kept up with Nick Cave over the last few years (he's such a mood, I have to be there) but excited to check this out.

-thebigfunk

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 03:56 PM

10. "I love Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen, but it's heartbreaking stuff"
In response to Reply # 8

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2561 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 12:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: New Release Friday - 2021-02-26"
In response to Reply # 0

Freddie Gibbs - Pinata Deluxe (80some odd tracks of remixes, instrumentals, etc)

Roberta Flack - First Take Deluxe (physical came out last year, but now streaming -a dozen bonus tracks)

Yahzarah - The Ceremony

Donny Hathaway - Live at the Bitter End (was vinyl only/Record store Day, now streaming)

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 12:41 PM

9. "RE: New Release Friday - 2021-02-26"
In response to Reply # 3

>Roberta Flack - First Take Deluxe (physical came out last
>year, but now streaming -a dozen bonus tracks)

Yeah, I need to spend some time with this

>Donny Hathaway - Live at the Bitter End (was vinyl only/Record
>store Day, now streaming)

On the one hand, I'll probably cop this bc at this point I've become a bit of a Donny completist BUT isn't this the same show from that Never My Love anthology but with, like, two additional tunes? Aggravating when they do this. (Unless I'm mistaken...)

-thebigfunk

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 07:25 PM

4. "Mad I never checked out this Alex Goose remix of Piñata til now"
In response to Reply # 0

I like several of these versions even more than the originals, and I say that as a huge fan of Piñata, which was my favorite album the year it dropped.

Glad this Piñata Deluxe dropped and put it on my radar.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 09:55 AM

6. "cosima - the fun is here"
In response to Reply # 0

Who is Cosima? Saw her listed on a new R&B list somewhere, gave her new ep a spin -- it's really really good! Her voice is unique in this space, literally: lower register, a bit unpolished, very emotive and immediate yet subtle at the same time.

Eager to listen again.

First line of the first song: "the first time I kicked you out the whole block was watching" -- that's just solid songwriting.

PHILLY is a strange break-up-to-find-new-love song where expected lines veer shift unexpectedly: "crying while we're breaking up/ but only cause it's what i'm suppposed to/do when someone says it's done/even if it's what I wanted"

and a great hook: "and i wonder if he drove to Philly just to see me/i wonder if he'd drive to Philly just to see me"

The production is unique too: PHILLY has some standard trap elements but is also really smart by incorporating vocals directly into the beat and smartly incorporates strings as an almost percussive element.

Need to spend more time but I need to go back and listen to more from her. Recommend a listen for sure!

-thebigfunk

Lobby The Lesson topic #3030534 Previous topic | Next topic