Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3030410

Subject: "New Release Friday - 2021-02-19" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Feb-19-21 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday - 2021-02-19"

Have no idea what's out today. I see some interesting looking singles though on my new release radar -- I'll try to swing back in a bit and list a few.

What's everyone looking for?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Jose' James - Live NYC (2 shows)
Feb 19th 2021
oh nice
Feb 19th 2021
this was a great listen
Feb 22nd 2021
      RE: this was a great listen
Feb 23rd 2021

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2561 posts
Fri Feb-19-21 04:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Jose' James - Live NYC (2 shows)"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice mix of material from his career. Gotta say i haven't loved his last couple studio records, so this is a nice return...

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Feb-19-21 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "oh nice"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for this! Yeah, his last few have been underwhelming - but he's always really shined live.

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Mon Feb-22-21 08:58 AM

3. "this was a great listen"
In response to Reply # 1

A few newer songs but a nice mix of older tunes as well. Band is on point and James mostly sounds strong and inspired here.

Surprisingly, nothing from "While You Were Sleeping" which, though it had a few duds, was the last album from him that really resonated with me.

I'm not sure we needed two versions of Blackmagic or Park Bench People but I'm not even complaining. One of the versions of the latter has him reciting two different Dead Prez verses to surprisingly good effect!

I will go on record to say that I absolutely loathe "I Found a Love" which is featured here and was on his most recent studio album. It's too sugary and schmaltzy in all the wrong ways. (And I have a very high tolerance for sugary and schmaltzy when done right.)

But yeah, this is will get some spin for a while and if a physical is released I'd probably grab it.

-thebigfunk

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2561 posts
Tue Feb-23-21 04:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: this was a great listen"
In response to Reply # 3

there are physical copies! i have the 2cd set, but i know there's wax, too.

I can just imagine some of his overseas audiences if/when he launches into the dead prez verses (hell or the jazz clubs here in the states)

I love PBP, tho, and have so many live versions over the years, so i'm not mad at two more quality versions...

I'm always happy for someone to find their mate, but i just don't hear what he hears from Taali, tho I guess i'm not hearing her thru that same lens he does... To each their own.

I keep holding out for official releases of the various "tribute" shows he's done over the years (the Billie live set MURDERS that studio set, the Coltrane set is epic, and wasn't there a Nina set, or am I imagining that one?)

Lobby The Lesson topic #3030410 Previous topic | Next topic