Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3030236

Subject: "New Release Friday - 2021-02-12" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Feb-12-21 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Release Friday - 2021-02-12"

What's everyone checking for?

There's a new Phife track w/Busta and Redman. Need to listen again but on first listen Redman really shines.

That Judas and the Black Messiah soundtrack is out and looks really promising.

Lucky Daye has some sort of duet EP, too.

Looks like it might be a pretty good week.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
im slow sometimes
Feb 12th 2021
RE: im slow sometimes
Feb 22nd 2021

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Feb-12-21 12:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "im slow sometimes "
In response to Reply # 0

im listening to the new lucky daye and three tracks in im thinking, i dig dude working with others. check out the track listing and im like man he has a feature on each track. he should have named the album something having to do with duets...um ... table for two...lol duh

but yeah i liked the ep. need to give it more spins.

checked out the jpeg ep too, wasnt really my thing.

still plan to listen to slowthai and that black messiah soundtrack.

GD listed some others i want to checkout.
Khrysis On The Boards Vol. 2
Rapper Big Pooh & Young RJ - What Was Lost, Vol. 1 (EP)
Rapper Big Pooh - 41

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Mon Feb-22-21 09:29 AM

2. "RE: im slow sometimes "
In response to Reply # 1

>but yeah i liked the ep. need to give it more spins.

This was a bit hit or miss for me but I would love to see more duet projects out there in r&b right now and this is a good start. It's also sort of an interesting take on a duets project as just about every song is about relationship conflict or a relationship falling apart.

I really appreciate that these feel like genuine duets, not just features, with a surprising amount of give and take. The layered vocals at the end of the opening track with Yebba, for instance. (What's up with that unnecessary spoken outro of that track though? Talk about dragging down an otherwise solid song...)

I like him most when he lets himself stretch out and actually sing a bit more -- not sure why he or his team insist on burying his voice either under autotune or a more muffled style.

But the production here is overall pretty varied and well-rounded and even delivers a few really nice surprises. "Dream" for instance starts out feeling like a pretty perfunctory beat with a pretty-enough melody but it takes a left turn with its bridge that made me go back and listen to the whole thing a few more times -- might be my favorite on the record... wish it was longer. Similar feeling about the ep's closing song with Joyce Wrice.

>
>checked out the jpeg ep too, wasnt really

I absolutely appreciate his style and weirdness but I find him a challenging listen. Like the avant hip hop equivalent of that "hyperpop" sound that's getting a lot of attention right now: it just feels really super dense and heavy. I feel like someday I'll be in the right mood for it but haven't hit it yet, lol.

>Khrysis On The Boards Vol. 2

Thanks for noting this, need to listen

>Rapper Big Pooh & Young RJ - What Was Lost, Vol. 1 (EP)

So, this was ok (need to listen more) BUT it made me go back and listen to that Pooh album with Apollo Brown, which I had totally missed when it dropped. All I can say is wow - what a great project. Pooh has been super prolific over the last four or five years, I need to catch up serious, but that's the best of what I've heard so far.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Lobby The Lesson topic #3030236 Previous topic | Next topic