Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3029942

Subject: "Bob James reacts to songs that sampled him" Previous topic | Next topic
falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Sat Jan-30-21 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bob James reacts to songs that sampled him"

https://youtu.be/1NI5Nl4XvXM

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I really enjoy Bob James' appreciation for sampling
Feb 01st 2021
RE: I really enjoy Bob James' appreciation for sampling
Feb 01st 2021
      right
Feb 04th 2021
      I don't see a problem with him wanting to get paid
Feb 04th 2021
           neither do i
Feb 04th 2021
      Waiting to be paid for being sampled does not at all mean he doesn't
Feb 08th 2021
           he doesnt appreciate it
Feb 08th 2021
                none of this is true
Feb 08th 2021
                     RE: none of this is true
Feb 10th 2021
                          you quoted the wrong part
Feb 11th 2021
                               RE: you quoted the wrong part
Feb 12th 2021
Feb 13th 2021
Feb 14th 2021
Bob James is a top lad for Rameau
Feb 06th 2021
Too bad artists haven't tried to collab with him
Feb 08th 2021
Daytona 500 feat. Bob James
Feb 10th 2021
RE: Daytona 500 feat. Bob James
Feb 12th 2021
Ayyyyyyyye
Feb 15th 2021
LMAO that goes from very cool to annoying in 10 seconds..
Feb 18th 2021

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Feb-01-21 08:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I really enjoy Bob James' appreciation for sampling"
In response to Reply # 0

I've watched more than a few videos/talks and he seems to just be cool about it. And that's really dope.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Mon Feb-01-21 05:54 PM

2. "RE: I really enjoy Bob James' appreciation for sampling"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.factmag.com/2015/05/08/jazz-legend-bob-james-suing-madlib-and-stones-throw-for-copyright-infringement/

https://www.courthousenews.com/bob-james-is-notamused-by-sampling/

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Thu Feb-04-21 09:59 AM

3. "right"
In response to Reply # 2

i think he appreciates the notoriety but wants to get paid for his efforts

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Thu Feb-04-21 09:59 AM

4. "I don't see a problem with him wanting to get paid"
In response to Reply # 3

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Thu Feb-04-21 10:10 AM

5. "neither do i"
In response to Reply # 4

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Mon Feb-08-21 09:42 AM

7. "Waiting to be paid for being sampled does not at all mean he doesn't"
In response to Reply # 2

appreciate sampling.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Mon Feb-08-21 03:44 PM

9. "he doesnt appreciate it"
In response to Reply # 7

outside of being paid for it

he's on the record (historically...not now that he's working with the sample site)... he's also denied clearance cause he hasnt liked the art

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Mon Feb-08-21 06:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "none of this is true"
In response to Reply # 9

He tried do a project in 97 to get current producers to flip his samples on a compilation
The samples i know that didnt get cleared were over splits with publishing and not the art
I used to clear samples for a living....Bob James is not even close to what you are saying lol

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Wed Feb-10-21 10:25 AM

12. "RE: none of this is true"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Feb-10-21 10:28 AM by howardlloyd

>He tried do a project in 97 to get current producers to flip
>his samples on a compilation
>The samples i know that didnt get cleared were over splits
>with publishing and not the art
>I used to clear samples for a living....Bob James is not even
>close to what you are saying lol

was he getting paid for the project? exactly...

he's not on the record dissing sampling before he became enlightened (like many men after he started seeing checks)?

he didnt deny souls of mischief because he didnt like their song?

everything i said is true...here's a quote and a link

"“ after was a hit. It was quite a ways down the line. I would not have spent the money to do anything about if it had not been so successful. It was way up on the charts, and a friend of mine in the music business called me and was like, ‘You should check out this recording.’ And when I heard it, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I was insulted by it. It was blatantly stealing my music without asking me about it. It was way before this genre had developed a stage where some of these samples actually took on a historic value of their own. And of course, when ‘Nautilus’ took on this value, I had a different type of appreciation for it. But this was just theft."

http://bobjames.com/sample-stories-with-bob-james-a-hip-hop-history/

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Feb-11-21 03:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "you quoted the wrong part "
In response to Reply # 12

But when you’re tampering with my music without my permission, or insulting my art * and then trying to tell me you’re being really creative about it, I say, ‘You’ve got another thing coming. No way.’ Those would be the only instances that I would’ve been motivated to deny a person permission to use my copyright.”

*Eventually, Bob James came around and gave permission to Souls of Mischief to use a sample of his song “Angela” on “Cab Fare,” but ultimately, permission was denied by the publishing company that controlled the Taxi TV series.

pay him and be creative....whats the problem?

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Fri Feb-12-21 03:32 AM

14. "RE: you quoted the wrong part "
In response to Reply # 13
Fri Feb-12-21 03:39 AM by howardlloyd

you are moving the goalpost. people came in praising him like he is supportive of sampling artist. i said he is appreciative of sampling when $ is involved. his own words show his hate and bias for sampling. he came to appreciate it once nautilus had been sampled 100x

who is he to determine someone else’s creativity?

insulting his art? FOH. once you put shit out into the world. it’s out of your hands

my point stands

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Sat Feb-13-21 07:59 PM

16. "RE: you quoted the wrong part "
In response to Reply # 14

>you are moving the goalpost. people came in praising him like
>he is supportive of sampling artist. i said he is
>appreciative of sampling when $ is involved. his own words
>show his hate and bias for sampling. he came to appreciate it
>once nautilus had been sampled 100x

I agree that folks are maybe glossing over the caveats that James puts down in the interview. But beyond that, I guess I'm not sure what your point is?

Looking back in time, is it at all realistic to expect artists working in pre-sampling models of intellectual property and publishing, not to mention artistic merit/aesthetic value, to just "get" sampling right away. To not: a) feel insulted if they don't like what was done with the music? and b) wonder why they're getting paid, or paid how they expect? and even c) wonder if the practice is legit.

Especially in jazz where there is such an emphasis on collaboration and give and take. If that's part of where you draw your artistic energy from, are you going to hear someone playing music you don't really understand that lifts straight loops of your work and just have an epiphany that completely transforms the way you think about copyright and ownership and creativity, etc. (and yes, $$$)

By your logic, there's no way for James to put any conditions or expectations on sampling at all at any point in his career -- and so you've literally left no opportunity for a change of view. If he wasn't on board with sampling 100%, no strings attached, from the beginning, his changing views of sampling, in your view, can only be financially motivated. (And this motivation, somehow, is apparently the wrong motivation to have.)

Is it really impossible that the combination of getting paid (ameliorating one issue) and time/experience has made him adjust his understanding of sampling? I'm sure this is not the first time someone like 9th has given a speech in front of James about how much of a legacy he's left through hip hop production -- there's no chance those types of stories changed his view at all? It's absolutely all $$$? He talks about himself starting to play with sampling to better understand it -- we can be skeptical but does skepticism have to be the last response?

Radical alternative:
- it's ok for people to hold complicated and even contradictory views of sampling even if we ourselves believe in a more radically open understanding. it's ok for those views to change over time.

- it's understandable for people to feel that they should get paid when sampled even if we ourselves disagree about what that looks like. there's a larger system and history at play, a complicated range of influences and traditions, that shapes the way we all think about these issues -- we can respect that even if we don't 100% understand it or agree with it

- it's ok for people to wish that they had more of a say in the sampling process (or other forms of clearance), or to take a more active role in the process based on their own goals for their art, even if we disagree with the conditions they place. it doesn't mean that they harbor "hate and bias" toward sampling as an art. it does mean that they aren't on board with an absolutely no-strings-attached approach, and that's ok (again, even if we disagree with it)

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sun Feb-14-21 07:17 AM

17. "RE: you quoted the wrong part "
In response to Reply # 16
Sun Feb-14-21 07:17 AM by howardlloyd

I never said he shouldn’t get paid

I said don’t rewrite history and make it seem like he is all into sampling outside of getting paid for it

Again my point stands

fanks
Member since Apr 07th 2013
74 posts
Sat Feb-06-21 02:01 PM

6. "Bob James is a top lad for Rameau"
In response to Reply # 0

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Mon Feb-08-21 09:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Too bad artists haven't tried to collab with him"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude is like 81 now, but I mean all that creativity in one room could have produced some crazy(er) stuff.

topaz
Member since Nov 28th 2002
6236 posts
Wed Feb-10-21 07:30 AM

11. "Daytona 500 feat. Bob James"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMEFOIvldJ0

This is amazing

-
Gang Starr / Nujabes blend - https://youtu.be/lsci1vu6ick
DOOM Tribute - https://youtu.be/qmBQ2BDefKM
Donut of the Heart cover in Javascript - https://youtu.be/afLc2CkC8lk

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Fri Feb-12-21 12:50 PM

15. "RE: Daytona 500 feat. Bob James"
In response to Reply # 11

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMEFOIvldJ0
>
>This is amazing

lol that was great

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Mon Feb-15-21 09:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "Ayyyyyyyye"

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 11:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "LMAO that goes from very cool to annoying in 10 seconds.."

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Lobby The Lesson topic #3029942 Previous topic | Next topic